Poll: **** The official Apple Watch Series 5 thread ****

Will you buy the Apple Watch Series 5?

• Total voters
Commissario
OP
I've edited your post as there's no such thing as an 'Apple Watch' ;)

I've had Apple Watches pretty much since launch day and the only damage I've ever had is a slight scratch on the glass where I knocked one of them against a very old granite wall. In my experience, they're very durable.

Soldato
Semi-Glad I picked up a S4 now, £70 off and 2 year warranty (John Lewis).

For comparison I'm currently at 32% after 5:42 usage, 1 day 10 hours standby FWIW. (Taken off power at 6:45 yesterday)

Is the always on screen *that* useful?

Soldato

For comparison I'm currently at 32% after 5:42 usage, 1 day 10 hours standby FWIW. (Taken off power at 6:45 yesterday)

The always on screen is the main reason I upgraded..it was annoying when wanting to check the time and it wouldnt turn the screen on, on the first attempt, so that covers that annoyance..

Soldato

As a counter to the above, i actually have always on turned off as it seems to hammer my battery life (S5 + Cellular). I don't find it's a big issue to raise my wrist.

Although i believe a recent update might've fixed that, i've not turned it back on to test.

I'd be more likely to use it, if i could have it on a timer so it's deactivated when i'm going to bed, otherwise it's quite distracting.

Caporegime
Never thought I'd be bothered about one of these but after buying a non cellular 40mm 5 yesterday I have to say im finding myself using it more than I thought I would, it's ended up being costly though as I didn't release my iPhone 6 wouldn't upgrade to iOS 13 :p

Obviously my bad but I was in desperate need of a new phone anyway so it gave me the kick up the backside I needed.

Associate
Quick question for you guys.. Im thnking of getting the AW5 for my wife, but she is very sensitive to light at night, and its only an option if you are able to switch the display off completely.. I have read about its "theatre mode", but this requires you to go into menus, etc - can you for example schedule the AOD to switch off after 10pm? Or does the display switch off completely once it is off the wrist?

Soldato
Quick question for you guys.. Im thnking of getting the AW5 for my wife, but she is very sensitive to light at night, and its only an option if you are able to switch the display off completely.. I have read about its "theatre mode", but this requires you to go into menus, etc - can you for example schedule the AOD to switch off after 10pm? Or does the display switch off completely once it is off the wrist?

Annoyingly you can't schedule it, although as Feek mentions it's very easy to enable Theatre Mode.

Caporegime
Well I decided to go from my series 3 to the series 5 earlier today. Went with Vodafone as I’m a customer, costing me £29 a mth for the 44mm cellular space grey version.
Promised myself I wouldn’t upgrade as my series 3 is more than capable. But you know shiny new thing lol. The missus is taking my series 3 although I was going to trade it in against the series 5.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I've edited your post as there's no such thing as an 'Apple Watch' ;)

I've had Apple Watches pretty much since launch day and the only damage I've ever had is a slight scratch on the glass where I knocked one of them against a very old granite wall. In my experience, they're very durable.

Ive had the 3 and the 4, and ive found them to be not that durable, but mines on 24/7 working on the car, round the house with DIY. Annoying i chipped the screen on the 4, when i went swimming with the kids in the shallow pool and i caught it on the edge. Im tempted to go for the stainless model next time round, sapphire is meant to be fantastically hard.

Nem

Nem

Associate
Well I ended up in Meadowhall Apple on Sunday and now have a space grey series 5 in the 44mm size and leather loop also. Will have a a good play with it next Wednesday :D

Soldato
Well I decided to go from my series 3 to the series 5 earlier today. Went with Vodafone as I’m a customer, costing me £29 a mth for the 44mm cellular space grey version.
Promised myself I wouldn’t upgrade as my series 3 is more than capable. But you know shiny new thing lol. The missus is taking my series 3 although I was going to trade it in against the series 5.

That's where I am at, at the moment. The S5 is looking really temping coming from the S3 but I'm torn between getting one more year or just biting the bullet now rather than later

Caporegime
That's where I am at, at the moment. The S5 is looking really temping coming from the S3 but I'm torn between getting one more year or just biting the bullet now rather than later
Yeh I know how you feel but I got mine a couple of days ago and so far I quite like it. The bigger screen along with the new watch faces as well. Need to get used to the bigger face as my s3 was smaller and the fonts looked sharper??
Plus being a cellular version rather than the gps one I had, I don’t have to carry my phone with me all the time. I can leave my phone upstairs on charge and still get messages and phone calls on my watch.

Battery life seems to be ok?? I’ve had it on since 9am and it’s now at 82% which compared to my s3 isn’t that great. But I guess having a cellular version with the always on feature will impact battery life. What are others getting for battery life??

So far so good, quite happy with it. Just looking to buy a case for it as i don’t want to end up cracking it or scratching it. I’ve went for a rhinoshield guard with one of their rims, which should give me some extra protection without it being too bulky. Hopefully get that in the next few days. I had a nice carbon fibre looking one on my S3 and it held up pretty well.

Also looking to see if there are any decent 3rd party straps which won’t break the bank. Really want a Milanese loop strap but can’t seem to find any decent 3rd party ones so might have to pay the Apple tax and get an official one. Unless anyone can offer a decent alternative??

Last edited:
Caporegime
Anyone else suffering from horrendous battery life on the series 5 cellular version??

I put it on my wrist at 12pm today and it was at 100% and it’s now reading 24% in about 6 hrs of having it on my wrist :eek:

Not sure if it’s just the way it is being a cellular version and having always on mode but honestly it’s pretty terrible.

Just seeing if anyone else is suffering from the same issue and yes it’s on the latest watchOS.
Seriously considering returning it and just sticking with my Nike series 3 gps version.

Soldato
I'd take that back if I were you! Not that I have any experience but it should be lasting longer than that for sure! I'm seeing my friend tomorrow and he has a S5. I'll pick his brains

Caporegime
Anyhow forgot to update lol. So yeh on the 23rd it basically died within 6 hrs of having it on my wrist.
Got in touch with Voda who I’m with, told them the issue and they said they would replace and hopefully that would fix my issue. Anyhow they said by the 27th I would have one which I said ok. Only later realising that no one will be at home to accept the delivery and give DPD the old one back.
So Boxing Day I call them up to tell them that and they said no problem just take it into a store and they will exchange. So done that Boxing Day, got the new watch and tried to connect to the data plan but couldn’t. So spent another 30 mins on the phone and was told that it should connect within the next 48 hrs.
Anyhow finally got it connected Sunday and so far the battery is much better. Had it on my wrist today from 8am and just took it off now and it’s reading 75% battery so looks like I had a duff one.

The new one is perfect now and the cheap Milanese black loop strap I got from amazon last week fits it nicely.

Soldato
Has there been any talk about adding the option to enable/disable noise cancellation with your watch when using AirPods?

Edit: Found it, that was easy enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom