BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
System check? Is this something I can carry out?

Light is out now. No messages or warning on idrive, in the check control menu or other.

Was thinking of getting an odb reader to see what the code is.

Go to vehicle info then vehicle status and from memory the last option in there alerts to any faults.

Associate
I had the same when the lambda sensor failed, engine light and nothing on idrive. I had to plug in my obd reader to get a code.
Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s something similar as it’s one part that can cause an engine light with no discernible difference to how it drives.

Soldato
I had the same when the lambda sensor failed, engine light and nothing on idrive. I had to plug in my obd reader to get a code.
Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s something similar as it’s one part that can cause an engine light with no discernible difference to how it drives.
Ah right.

Went out again for a quick spin. No light.

I'll take it in. Should all be under AUC warranty.

Out of interest for an f10 what is the most economical way to read fault codes?

Looking at dedicated reader, dongles and an android app. Bit lost really.

Have no interest in coding anything so don't really want carly or bimmercode.

Associate
Ah right.

Went out again for a quick spin. No light.

I'll take it in. Should all be under AUC warranty.

Out of interest for an f10 what is the most economical way to read fault codes?

Looking at dedicated reader, dongles and an android app. Bit lost really.

Have no interest in coding anything so don't really want carly or bimmercode.

I just the torque app on android and a cheap Bluetooth reader off eBay for my F10. It will read basic engine codes okay but will struggle with more indepth checks, airbags, abs etc.

Associate
I need to repair/replace the rubberised coating on the steering wheel cover and centre console cup holders of my E87 130i. Has anyone successfully done this?

Using Plastidip seems the obvious choice, however how well does it hold up?

I see you can also get a Plastidip primer to massively improve the surface adhesion, has anyone tried using it?

Associate
Just replace them? You can buy the bits from the dealer.

Replacing them is an option, but a new steering wheel cover is round £90, and centre console is about £150 so it's not exactly a cheap option compared to the cost of a few cans of Plastidip.

To be fair the coating on the steering wheel has been completely removed leaving the clean black satin plastic finish. I could easily remove the peeling coating from the centre console to again be left with the clean plastic finish and it would look absolutely fine. However if the original finish can be replicated for a reasonably cheap price then Im happy and more than capable of doing it myself.

Soldato
I just the torque app on android and a cheap Bluetooth reader off eBay for my F10. It will read basic engine codes okay but will struggle with more indepth checks, airbags, abs etc.
P0401 EGR related.

Seems fairly common.
Car not subject to recall, but I'm sure it'll get sorted either Monday, or after they have ordered what ever parts they need.

Soldato
SMG is an automated single clutch manual transmission, pretty dated by today's standards. DSG is a modern twin clutch system. SMG is much harsher and slower than DSG. SMG also carries some risk as the pumps are now extremely expensive to replace if they fail, I think ~£2k, but @Gibbo will know more about all of the above.

Associate
Replacing them is an option, but a new steering wheel cover is round £90, and centre console is about £150 so it's not exactly a cheap option compared to the cost of a few cans of Plastidip.

To be fair the coating on the steering wheel has been completely removed leaving the clean black satin plastic finish. I could easily remove the peeling coating from the centre console to again be left with the clean plastic finish and it would look absolutely fine. However if the original finish can be replicated for a reasonably cheap price then Im happy and more than capable of doing it myself.

I had the same issue with the plastic trim on my wheel when I got it. I sanded back the rubber, primed it with normal plastic spay paint and then sprayed it matt black with normal spay paint. It's lasted 5 years almost now and you wouldn't be able to tell it was not oem unless you put it up against a new wheel.

Associate
I had the same issue with the plastic trim on my wheel when I got it. I sanded back the rubber, primed it with normal plastic spay paint and then sprayed it matt black with normal spay paint. It's lasted 5 years almost now and you wouldn't be able to tell it was not oem unless you put it up against a new wheel.

Spraying an option but I'd rather have the oem rubberised feel.

Think I'll probably just give it a try with the Plastidip on the steering wheel cover and see how it looks. If it's poor or doesn't last it's easily removed and it's not cost me much and I'll then cough up for a new cover from BMW.

Associate
Spraying an option but I'd rather have the oem rubberised feel.

Think I'll probably just give it a try with the Plastidip on the steering wheel cover and see how it looks. If it's poor or doesn't last it's easily removed and it's not cost me much and I'll then cough up for a new cover from BMW.

You should be fine. You don't really touch too much of it normally. Mind looked like the previous owner wore multiple rings and that's what that scratched and wore away the rubber over time. No rings no trouble.

Back
Top Bottom