SuperHub 3 router / modem mode?

Permabanned
Even if VM put 2.5Gb or faster LAN ports on the router, the number of consumer devices that actually support the standard is tiny at this stage and the consumer hardware pricing to do so is disproportionately high. As long as they deliver greater than 1Gbit to the hub, they can claim to be the fastest gigabit connection provider, as it’s the connection to the hub that you pay for, it’s just going to take multiple clients to max it out for the user.

That is irrelevant, it sold as a 1Gb/s service and in their case they advertise the extra 10% contention so 1.1Gb/s and many Mobos today come with 2.5/5/ even 10GB NIC's ($200-300 range) and you can but an Asus 10GB PCI-E NIC for £70.

Caporegime
You could plug in two devices wired straight into the hub in router mode and get 600Mbps to each of them simultaneously, so they've held up their end of the bargain. All the marketing is geared towards the service being used with multiple devices.

Permabanned
That is how they can swing it but its still BS IMO (and it would be 550Mb/s to each), I have no clue how they could not include a 2.5Gb/s NIC (even one in top port) the excuse for exclusion of WIFI6 AX was also poor.

Soldato
That is irrelevant, it sold as a 1Gb/s service and in their case they advertise the extra 10% contention so 1.1Gb/s and many Mobos today come with 2.5/5/ even 10GB NIC's ($200-300 range) and you can but an Asus 10GB PCI-E NIC for £70.

If the facts are irrelevant to you, then why are you even posting? Enthusiast/HEDT/server class boards come with ports capable of greater than gigabit, SFP+ is hardly consumer grade, it’s only in the last few years that any consumer boards have become available with 2.5Gb RJ45 options, that’s a tiny, tiny percentage of a tiny market. You buy gigabit, they give you gigabit + x% and it’s all usable with multiple devices, so what’s the problem? If they sold you 2Gbit and only used gigabit ports I would agree, but this feels like you’re complaining for the sake of it.

Also my gigabit connection happily does 100MB/s+ uploads sustained, my maths may not be great, but that’s over 950Mbit and that’s stock Ubuntu without tweaks, looking at the logs, it’s gone higher previously.

https://imgur.com/a/jocfATN

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
If the facts are irrelevant to you, then why are you even posting? Enthusiast/HEDT/server class boards come with ports capable of greater than gigabit, SFP+ is hardly consumer grade, it’s only in the last few years that any consumer boards have become available with 2.5Gb RJ45 options, that’s a tiny, tiny percentage of a tiny market. You buy gigabit, they give you gigabit + x% and it’s all usable with multiple devices, so what’s the problem? If they sold you 2Gbit and only used gigabit ports I would agree, but this feels like you’re complaining for the sake of it.

Also my gigabit connection happily does 100MB/s+ uploads sustained, my maths may not be great, but that’s over 950Mbit and that’s stock Ubuntu without tweaks, looking at the logs, it’s gone higher previously.

https://imgur.com/a/jocfATN

We are British, its our loyal duty to complain when nothing is wrong :)

Soldato
While in the subject of connections and complaining, I've always wondered what is the point of having 100mbp ethernet between a router and wireless access point when the access point is say AC1900, surely it's only going to be able to hit 100mbp max actual transfer rate?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Has anyone on 350/500Mbps changed from running the SH3 in modem mode back to running the SH3 as a router , is it bearable or does it feel like a downgrade with issues?

Now that I have been forced from my fully working SH 2.0 to 3.0 I can re-read and understand this thread ! I found Hub 3 to be un-useable in modem mode, this is with the latest firmware also, apparently the latency bug flares up even worse while under modem mode and only in router mode (normal) its improved drastic. I spent a week testing it and found I had to go to router only mode to get any form of performance back again. The exact issue I had when in modem mode was when launching any heavy file or torrent say ubuntu iso after 3-8 minutes it would restrict and block 90% of my entire speed and just stay there.
I would have to either use speedtest or a website to unstick the clogged bandwith and re-jump start the speed again. hub 3.0 is also very bad with certain VPNs and in-compatible where as hub 2.0 was 100% fine.

I'm staying in Modem mode until they release the SH4 in a few months as some people say the superhub jitter has been fixed but others say it's still the same with random drop outs resulting in a power cycle to get back online.

Your question would be better suited to the VirginMedia forum so it stays on topic. ;)

Glad I spotted your post I was trying to find info if SH4 was fixed but did read it also has similar issues and even the included fan inside the SH4 does not assist the cooling at all, VM forums won't admit they supplied hardware faulty routers to the customers I spotted a few threads where staff just ignored them.
Surprised you found modem mode acceptable, I spotted a thread on pfsense forums detailing the hub 3.0 does not have a true modem mode, arris the manufacturer only put a semi-bridge mode on it, VM have also got the same issue on their business routers I believe which I won't be surprised has a hub 3 underneath.

They say it's been fixed, but I don't believe it actually has. I think it's just been reduced as much as they can manage. I get issues related to Puma 6 problems.

Yeah , spoffle is spot on as no amount of firmware tweaking is going to completely fix it , None of the superhubs have been of a very high spec so lets hope they get it right for the new Docsis3.1 SH4 or none of us will get good gigabit speeds.

Suppose it will be the usual thing that new customers get the SH4 first for free and the rest of us have to pay £20 shipping.

Agreed I found 2-3 threads on VM forums and staff just ignore it, it would cost VM millions to replace hardware faulty modems to all customers and men are useless at launching a petition or law change to address the issue although I was thinking of finding women who has had her hair set on fire by a faulty hub 3.0 to get things going.

Germany has laws that allow all customers to use their own modems with any ISP if they wish, sadly nothing like that in the UK. What I really despise is VM are aware of the hardware fault and do not allow customers to buy a working Router or the option to change to the hub 2.0, it shows they really have no customer services or ethics.

The SH 4.0 despite having apparently the same issues, its meant to be slightly better due to the better cpu and hardware inside but its a far cry from SH 2.0 and AC model those were 100% perfect bar the wireless imo once set in modem mode.

Soldato
Now that I have been forced from my fully working SH 2.0 to 3.0 I can re-read and understand this thread ! I found Hub 3 to be un-useable in modem mode, this is with the latest firmware also, apparently the latency bug flares up even worse while under modem mode and only in router mode (normal) its improved drastic. I spent a week testing it and found I had to go to router only mode to get any form of performance back again. The exact issue I had when in modem mode was when launching any heavy file or torrent say ubuntu iso after 3-8 minutes it would restrict and block 90% of my entire speed and just stay there.
I would have to either use speedtest or a website to unstick the clogged bandwith and re-jump start the speed again. hub 3.0 is also very bad with certain VPNs and in-compatible where as hub 2.0 was 100% fine.

Glad I spotted your post I was trying to find info if SH4 was fixed but did read it also has similar issues and even the included fan inside the SH4 does not assist the cooling at all, VM forums won't admit they supplied hardware faulty routers to the customers I spotted a few threads where staff just ignored them.
Surprised you found modem mode acceptable, I spotted a thread on pfsense forums detailing the hub 3.0 does not have a true modem mode, arris the manufacturer only put a semi-bridge mode on it, VM have also got the same issue on their business routers I believe which I won't be surprised has a hub 3 underneath.

Agreed I found 2-3 threads on VM forums and staff just ignore it, it would cost VM millions to replace hardware faulty modems to all customers and men are useless at launching a petition or law change to address the issue although I was thinking of finding women who has had her hair set on fire by a faulty hub 3.0 to get things going.

Germany has laws that allow all customers to use their own modems with any ISP if they wish, sadly nothing like that in the UK. What I really despise is VM are aware of the hardware fault and do not allow customers to buy a working Router or the option to change to the hub 2.0, it shows they really have no customer services or ethics.

The SH 4.0 despite having apparently the same issues, its meant to be slightly better due to the better cpu and hardware inside but its a far cry from SH 2.0 and AC model those were 100% perfect bar the wireless imo once set in modem mode.
The Puma 6 and then finding out that the Hub 4 was using the Puma 7 chipset has ruled out Virgin Media for as an ISP until they change their stance on third party modems. I've moved to BT for their FTTP service.

Soldato
The German comparison is flawed, the way the German networks were built is more in line with the openreach model we have here. VM is a private network, it’s never been in public ownership, so VM can stipulate who has access and what equipment they use as it 100% belongs to them and as such they are not subject to the same operating restrictions as part of the licence. Sky have gone the same way, since SkyQ became a thing, you now can’t buy your own box, it’s supplied and maintained by Sky as part of the service. VM are very unlikely to change this policy, it’s been this way since the beginning of the individual franchises and due to the way it’s managed and provisioned, it’s unlikely to change without a very good reason.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
The Puma 6 and then finding out that the Hub 4 was using the Puma 7 chipset has ruled out Virgin Media for as an ISP until they change their stance on third party modems. I've moved to BT for their FTTP service.

Yeah was really shocked its like cutting your right foot off and then doing it the left foot just so it can match, very lucky to have FTTP in your area the max bt bb checker I have is 50meg and that has stayed the same for feels like 10 years, does not appear BT have any interest in doing bb in my area could be since Virgin got 350meg already on my street already.

I am forever doomed with the Hub 3 and then 4 sadly.

Back
Top Bottom