Car Hit by Drunk Driver

Soldato
hopefully she'll get the book thrown at her.

One can hope, but she won't. All she'll get is a fine of around a grand and two or three years of no licence.

Having lost a close friend to a drink driver it's my firm belief that there should be zero tolerance policy. The alcohol limit should be zero and anyone caught drink driving, whether or not they hit somebody/something, should be fined and jailed. Then upon release stripped of any right to hold a driving licence for life.

Soldato
One can hope, but she won't. All she'll get is a fine of around a grand and two or three years of no licence.

Having lost a close friend to a drink driver it's my firm belief that there should be zero tolerance policy. The alcohol limit should be zero and anyone caught drink driving, whether or not they hit somebody/something, should be fined and jailed. Then upon release stripped of any right to hold a driving licence for life.

A genuine zero limit would be a nightmare to enforce and would end up punishing people who had tiny amounts of residual alcohol in their system from the night before. If you’re that into safety, you’d also have to ban sat navs, headphones, Bluetooth systems, car stereos, mobile phones and cars with passenger seats as all of those things can be far more dangerous than people driving with tiny amounts of alcohol in their system.

The current limit we have is fine: the fact that some people choose to break it and have accidents doesn’t mean we should reduce it. The same people who break it currently would no doubt break a zero tolerance limit anyway. If you’d like stricter enforcement and stronger punishments for the current limit, that’s fair enough, but reducing it really doesn’t make much sense.

Soldato
A genuine zero limit would be a nightmare to enforce and would end up punishing people who had tiny amounts of residual alcohol in their system from the night before.

Good. If you've been out for a heavy night on the pop then you should know not to drive the next day. If you have to get somewhere, like work for example, then you have the options of a.) not drinking the night before or b.) drinking and then making arrangements to get a lift or to hire a taxi. It ain't rocket surgery.

Soldato
Good. If you've been out for a heavy night on the pop then you should know not to drive the next day. If you have to get somewhere, like work for example, then you have the options of a.) not drinking the night before or b.) drinking and then making arrangements to get a lift or to hire a taxi. It ain't rocket surgery.

I’m not talking about someone who’s been out for a heavy night and is hung over, I’m talking about somebody who has a tiny amount of residual alcohol in their system (say, 10% of the current limit). That also wasn’t the only point I made in my reply.....

Soldato
I’m not talking about someone who’s been out for a heavy night and is hung over, I’m talking about somebody who has a tiny amount of residual alcohol in their system (say, 10% of the current limit). That also wasn’t the only point I made in my reply.....
A shandy would also put you over the limit. Also I'm sure half the people on the road (and I'm being generous) are worse drivers than me if I was ******, the lack of indication and cutting up is just dangerous. Not sure how you'd enforce a zero tolerance ban, with the 3 police officers in our county they'd be pretty busy:D. Additional thought, would chocolate liquors put you over a zero tolerance limit?

Soldato
Twelve new safety features are to become mandatory on cars from 2021 onwards in the European Union’s latest effort to cut road deaths.
- Advanced emergency braking
- Alcohol interlock installation facilitation
- Drowsiness and attention detection
- Distraction recognition and prevention
- Event (accident) data recorder
- Emergency stop signal
- Full-width frontal occupant protection crash test, plus improved seatbelts
- Head impact zone enlargement for pedestrians and cyclists, plus safety glass
- Intelligent speed assistance
- Lane-keeping assist
- Pole side-impact occupant protection
- Reversing camera or detection system

Soldato
The alcohol limit should be zero and anyone caught drink driving, whether or not they hit somebody/something, should be fined and jailed. Then upon release stripped of any right to hold a driving licence for life.

Impossible, you'd go to prison for things such as using certain medicines, eating some chocolates & possibly even using mouthwash.

"Sorry boss, gotta take the day off work today, i coughed whilst gargling my listerine & a bit went down"

Even eating my home made Lasagne would put you behind bars.

Soldato
really hope you have gap insurance in place OP,

certainly would take the sting out of losing the car if you were to get full invoice value back for it :)

Man of Honour
@jpaul we are coming out of the EU, so its not applicable to us

Less standard fit equipment on our cars, another wonderful brexit bonus.

We'll get some of it as it won't be practical to make special versions for 1970s Britain but things like standard fit reversing camera will be easy to leave off and continue to charge extra for.

Soldato
at least it wasn't the 200SX (if u still have it?)

The question on the lips of the entire forum appears to have been missed - bumping for OP to comment !

(Hope all is well Bear, sorry to see the damage, some incredible force on those wheels there ! I imagine the suspension is a bit fubar'd also? )

Soldato
[
another wonderful brexit bonus.
Indeed .. Boris didn't tell people car culture will become like Cuba [6° separation of threads to br****]
]

Had you done any modifications on the car ... moreover if it were PCP'd is that additional hassle.

Man of Honour
We will because it's cheaper to just standardise everything. The US get cars which meet EU regs for the same reason.

No they don't because lots of it is just spec items. For example reversing cameras have been mandatory in the US for a while now - so US export vehicles from Europe have them fitted as standard but the same models for the European market do not.

Back
Top Bottom