Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Permabanned
I would rather go back to DOS than FF, it is so bogged down now. :p

I never really like it but gave it a try when it was in fashion to use it and hate IE, then Chrome came in fashion.

Soldato
OP
Did any of you lot actually read the conclusion?

Using a Chrome directive doesn't count. (Vivaldi, I think Opera, New Edge, Chrome obviously)

"The main thing, the truly one real main thing - we need competition. If Firefox disappears, the world goes back to the Internet Explorer 6 era. It was a dark time. And it has nothing to do with Chrome as a product. It has everything to do with the ecosystem, the mindset, the way people behave. We already have lazy developers coding Chrome-only sites. If and when Firefox vanishes, the Internet will become a zombieland. Innovation and freedom are already quite low across the board, and when there's no survival incentive, we will find ourselves deep in intellectual stagnation that can take decades to fix. If ever. We need Intel and AMD, we need Windows and Linux, and we need Chrome and Firefox.

Of course, swaying techies with emotion doesn't really work. But emotion plus actual technical benefits and advantages ought to do it. I believe that Firefox has the necessary clout. It's flexible, customizable, with features you don't really see elsewhere. What remains is the message. Just like in 2004, when people had hope and optimism when Firefox emerged, offering something new and fresh. Now though, the message is less optimistic, less shiny, but a hundred times more important. Because Firefox today is all about the Internet ten years from now."

Soldato
I used to use FF but then changed over to chrome when the syncing became a much more fleshed out thing - now its a big part of why i still use it.
Yes i know FF now has that facility but it lost me ages ago and i still dont see a massive need to change back - and no i give zero craps about privacy or being tracked... as long as add-blocking works i will prob be staying on chrome for the foreseeable future.

Just a FYI Google will shortly be removing certain features that let Ublock Origin and other adblockers work.

Associate
Just a FYI Google will shortly be removing certain features that let Ublock Origin and other adblockers work.
I am well aware of whats going on in the browser world and if add blocking on chrome or chromium based browsers then i will prob move to another that does still block garbage.

However that has not yet happened and may not do.

Soldato
Did any of you lot actually read the conclusion?

Using a Chrome directive doesn't count. (Vivaldi, I think Opera, New Edge, Chrome obviously)

"The main thing, the truly one real main thing - we need competition. If Firefox disappears, the world goes back to the Internet Explorer 6 era. It was a dark time. And it has nothing to do with Chrome as a product. It has everything to do with the ecosystem, the mindset, the way people behave. We already have lazy developers coding Chrome-only sites. If and when Firefox vanishes, the Internet will become a zombieland. Innovation and freedom are already quite low across the board, and when there's no survival incentive, we will find ourselves deep in intellectual stagnation that can take decades to fix. If ever. We need Intel and AMD, we need Windows and Linux, and we need Chrome and Firefox.

Of course, swaying techies with emotion doesn't really work. But emotion plus actual technical benefits and advantages ought to do it. I believe that Firefox has the necessary clout. It's flexible, customizable, with features you don't really see elsewhere. What remains is the message. Just like in 2004, when people had hope and optimism when Firefox emerged, offering something new and fresh. Now though, the message is less optimistic, less shiny, but a hundred times more important. Because Firefox today is all about the Internet ten years from now."

One reason why I left Firefox was it is not as stable as Vivaldi and a lot of third party add-ons would not work with FF Quantum build , Vivaldi was developed by the original developers of Opera before Opera went Chromium based, there are plenty of browser alternatives out there for you to choose from, personally if you are worried about data tracking etc don't use Windows, don't leave your house (tracking satellites, phones etc, and wear a tin foil hat). There are plenty of ways they track you regardless of you using your PC or browser, so the statement does not mean much, paranoid ring a bell?

Personally I won't be moving away from Vivaldi, its rock stable, fantastic customisation and everything I need, bye-bye Firefox RIP.

;)

Soldato
OP
One reason why I left Firefox was it is not as stable as Vivaldi and a lot of third party add-ons would not work with FF Quantum build , Vivaldi was developed by the original developers of Opera before Opera went Chromium based, there are plenty of browser alternatives out there for you to choose from, personally if you are worried about data tracking etc don't use Windows, don't leave your house (tracking satellites, phones etc, and wear a tin foil hat). There are plenty of ways they track you regardless of you using your PC or browser, so the statement does not mean much, paranoid ring a bell?

Personally I won't be moving away from Vivaldi, its rock stable, fantastic customisation and everything I need, bye-bye Firefox RIP.

;)

Vivaldi is chrome based.

This is about the health of the internet and the freedom of choice.

Soldato
Vivaldi is chrome based.

This is about the health of the internet and the freedom of choice.

I know Vivaldi is chrome based, I guess you skipped the rest of my post, anyway Vivaldi is very stable, great customisation like I stated. I already gave my reasons why I don't use Firefox anymore. :) .

Little history lesson for you, Opera was originally not chrome based, when they decided to go Chromium based for Opera with new layout , changes etc , some of the original Opera developers and Opera fans wanted Opera to feel and look like the old Opera, so they made a better Chromium based browser ie Vivaldi that like looks and feels like the old Opera version, rather then the new Opera that is out that is completely different from the old Opera.

Vivaldi is a freeware, cross-platform web browser developed by Vivaldi Technologies, a company founded by Opera Software co-founder and former CEO Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner and Tatsuki Tomita. It was officially launched on April 6, 2016.[8][9]

Although intended for general users, it is first and foremost targeted towards technically-inclined users as well as former Opera users disgruntled by its transition from the Presto layout engine to a Chromium-based browser that resulted in the loss of many of its iconic features.[8][10] Despite also being Chromium-based, Vivaldi aims to revive the features of the Presto-based Opera with its own proprietary modifications.[11][12]

As of March 2019, Vivaldi has 1.2 million active monthly users.[13]

Vivaldi released a mobile (Android) beta version on September 6, 2019.[14]

Last edited:
Permabanned
Don't forget Microsoft Edge Chromium will be coming to the masses January 15th. A lot of people will be moving from other browsers I know that for sure. Hopefully Internet Explorer/Edge itself will retire and we will be left with some nice rounded off browsers.

Associate
I've found that the download manager in FF works much, much better than Chrome.

Moving away from Chrome is a difficult one though, I use it down to convenience, they've got the name, mention to a lot of people that you're using FF and there is a confused facial expression. It is also what is used and installed on laptops and PCs in work, and what all the systems in work are designed for.

I've not really tried using it on a daily basis though and I'm sure that migration would be simple enough so I might look to do so in the future.

Back
Top Bottom