Please check and critique my proposed build

Soldato
Hey guys,

I have recently sold my gaming laptop and am looking at building a gaming PC. The last build I did was probably about 8 years ago. The system will be used to play all the latest games at 1440p.

So far the parts I am looking at are as follows:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,537.76 (includes shipping: £20.82)​

I’d be grateful if you could please suggest a suitable PSU, a mechanical keyboard at a reasonable price and maybe some more appropriate ram - I just picked this from the best sellers list. I’d like the machine to be reasonably quiet, if someone could also suggest an appropriate CPU fan?

Also, how does the listed GPU compare to the MSI 2070 Super Gaming X (two fan model) ?

Any other build suggestions are also appreciated. I’m looking to order the system in the next day or so.

Thanks

Associate
I have some similar components in my build, same case etc. I do have a Ryzen 2600 though, so previous generation - but works fine for me.

I went with a Corsair PSU below - I like the brand, so was a bit bias (which I think is ok!) as I went for case, psu, fans and ram from the same company. All have been perfect for me :)

750W Corsair RM750X ATX PSU

Ram I went for the below, I do like the RGB and also have the RGB fans etc from Corsair. You may want faster if you are going for the new generation CPU.

2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 2933

I am not sure on your GPU, I presently have a 1070 and it plays most fine at 1440p, although I guess some more FPS would be good - I am looking at a 2070 Super potentially; although not sure I really need it for the games I play.

Monitor I have

Asus MG278Q 27"

Delighted with it, nothing to compare it to really - but for me the image is amazing.

I have the 450 Carbon Pro, as I needed WIFI - again board has been great.

Hope this helps a bit

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses.

I ended up ordering the following items ...

Total: £1,713.90 (includes shipping: £28.02)​

Not sure whether I would have been better getting 3200Mhz Ram instead.
Plus, I still need a CPU fan and a keyboard. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Associate
Looks good, would the standard CPU fan not be ok? That is what I have in mine, but I am only doing the standard OC as chosen by the MB - my temps are fine?

My keyboard was pretty cheap, was a Tecknet RGB mechanical, has been very good for me and was cheap; but no issues at all.

I have the same case and MB:)

Associate
Pics not working right.
rb5wpt8.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd have gone for the 3700x, the price difference is not much, and the cooler is really good imo. Sorry for jumping in late.

I was originally going to go for the 3700X but decided to put the price difference towards the GPU.

I got the 3600X for £189 so I may just pick up a £35 aftermarket cooler and then move to an 8 core in the future if games get much benefit.

Associate
Nice looking build!

Just a heads up about the monitor, in case you didn't already know - It's had worldwide stock issues for the past few months. OcUK staff member mentioned that they're expecting a shipment in January, but it might be worth checking with CS if they'll have enough to cover your order.

See this thread as well - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/new-lg-monitors-including-2-exclusive-to-ocuk.18858555/

Looks like a cracking monitor though, don't blame you for ordering it! :)

Soldato
OP
Will the Phanteks AMP 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply operate silently?
I could test it and find out for myself, but this would make it difficult to return. If there are quieter PSUs around for a similar price then I may consider returning it and purchasing another.

I went for the MSI version of the 2070 Super as I decided that I am after the best performance in my budget, as silent as possible. This model appears to be one of the quietest.

Re CPU Cooler, I am currently looking at purchasing the Dark Rock Pro 4 as this seems to operate silently. Would this pair well with my case, even though it probably isn't the best for airflow?

Thanks,

Soldato
Re CPU Cooler, I am currently looking at purchasing the Dark Rock Pro 4 as this seems to operate silently.

I have the Dark Rock Pro cooler. It has fans so it's not silent like my NoFan CR-95 was. But it's quiet enough. The loudest fan in my system is one of the GPU fans.

Soldato
OP
I ended up ordering one of these to pair with the 3600X. I figured I should hopefully be able to re-use it when I decide to upgrade the CPU.

Total: £82.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

I'm just looking for some quiet case fans that are not break the bank expensive.

Any recommendations?

I am probably looking at 2 x 140mm at the Front and 1 x 120mm at the back.

Would it be worthwhile getting top mounted fans as well?

I assume I would be best to get the PWM models?

Back
Top Bottom