Facebook ramps up Oculus integration

Soldato
Yeah this sucks big time - not unexpected, but it sucks anyway.

I don't have a Facebook account, never wanted one, but now I'll need to set one up with the barest possible info to access any social features at all.

Soldato
I can understand advertising on a service that is free, like facebook, how else are they expected to make money.

However we have paid for our Oculus products and continue to give money to Oculus through software purchases etc, therefore advertising should not be added.

Soldato
Why you dont need "social features" to play a game ?

The company is updating its privacy policy and rolling out new social VR features backed by your “Facebook identity” with the intention of “clarifying how Oculus data is shared with Facebook to inform ads when you log into Facebook on Oculus.”

Its only if you use Facebook and social media with your headset on. Who does that ?? Calm down everyone.

Soldato
Why you dont need "social features" to play a game ?

Its only if you use Facebook and social media with your headset on. Who does that ?? Calm down everyone.

It's a bit more than that. Facebook has now gated the native multiplayer features behind a facebook account login. Previously you just needed an Oculus account to friend people and to play online with them. Now a Facebook account is required, which is a pretty big step up. A Facebook account is much more wide ranging and invasive than a Steam account, and tracks far more than your gaming activity.

Soldato
I dont play multiplayer games with the headset so whats the problem ? In any case it says

User created events, so you can organize tournaments or multiplayer games with friends

Chats, so you can message your Oculus friends in or out of the headset with quick responses to hop into games together

thats nothing to do with playing multiplayer games thats organising events to play multiplayer games. Sometimes people need to read the whole post the OP provides before stating confusing incorrect information. You dont need a facebook account to friend someone `in game`.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't friend anyone anymore on the Oculus platform without having a linked facebook account. Nor can you party up, use voice chat, or send messages without one.
Games which use their own friends system such as Bridge Crew (which uses Uplay) aren't affected though.

Soldato
I get the feeling that oculus will if given the chance dump gaming and go straight to vet social media if they could.

I think if they could but any vr game up now, it would be vr chat.

Soldato
So wish we could get rid of that crap OCULUS software and just use STEAMVR :(

What? Are you getting confused between software required to run the headset and the Oculus Store and home front? Because there is nothing stopping you using Steam VR for everything.

Soldato
I just want to have the least software running.
I do use steamVR and I also start upthe Oclulus software (the one with game you can purchase ETC ETC).
If you look in task manager have you actually seen how much Oculus crap is running compared to if you have a VIVE ETC?

Dont get me wrong I love the RIFT S its amazeing but its getting silly now with all the software it needs to run.
Now they want facebook ETC ETC.

Cant they just let us use STEAMVR only?.

If any one knows a better way please let me know but yeah look in task manager when its up and running there is a huge amount of things running to do with Oculus that and the fact they want you to now use Facebook ETC ETC just let me use the damn head set with out all the damn bloat god damn you.

Soldato
I just want to have the least software running.
I do use steamVR and I also start upthe Oclulus software (the one with game you can purchase ETC ETC).
If you look in task manager have you actually seen how much Oculus crap is running compared to if you have a VIVE ETC?

Dont get me wrong I love the RIFT S its amazeing but its getting silly now with all the software it needs to run.
Now they want facebook ETC ETC.

Cant they just let us use STEAMVR only?.

If any one knows a better way please let me know but yeah look in task manager when its up and running there is a huge amount of things running to do with Oculus that and the fact they want you to now use Facebook ETC ETC just let me use the damn head set with out all the damn bloat god damn you.

You don't have to use facebook at all, as I said you can use Steam VR for everything. The services that are running in the background are for updating games an keeping the software updated. Steam VR also uses these background processes to run the Rift S. That's why you don't have to run setup on Steam anymore. The processes running in the background have no affect on performance in games.

You don't even have to start Oculus and then start SteamVR, you can just start steam VR and put on the headset.

And if the background processes are really annoying you, download oculus tray tool, then you can set the services to turn off when not in use.

Soldato
Cant say I like FB and certainly do not like that they have done this... it DOES despite what some have said in this thread effect standard MP stuff and isnt just Facebook stuff.

The thing is, the oculus runtime is just so much better than SteamVR, so the choice is give facebook your details, set up a dummy account or use an inferior performing platform. (note i said inferior performing, NOT an inferior platform...... IF you have the rig to run it the index is anything but inferior to the rift!!!)

valve only recently implemented their ATW equivalent into steamVR and it doesnt work as well, and they have nothing to rival ASW or ASW 2.0

So As i rifter I just suck it up.

BTW as for why dont oculus let us ignore all the oculus stuff and just run steamVR.... that would be commercial suicide. Given they sell the headset at cost, and lets assume we DONT give them our data, then the only money they make is off us buying their software.

IF they allowed you to strip all the stuff out of the software and run steamVR only (not sure if valve would even allow this btw even if oculus did.............. SteamVR for the rift is a simple wrapper reliant on the oculus drivers, Valve DONT natively support the rift in steamVR, SteamVR in the rift is very much the same as ReVive on the vive...... but even if they did, that would mean rift users would only be able to buy from steam thus totally screwing over their own store, a bit like if sony decided to not only allow you to run Xbox games but in doing so also meant you could no longer run playstation software!.

Oh for native support acorss the board, I had hoped OpenXR would have solved this by now but I was wrong :(.

Back
Top Bottom