Kwik fit tyre insurance - anyone used?

Soldato
As title, i'm getting a couple of new tyres fitted at the weekend, and have the option of tyre insurance at £8 a corner (tyres are £102).

There doesn't seem to be much info online about it - their page says for details to check the booklet in the centre.

Wondered if anyone here has used it before? I realise that they wouldn't be selling it if it wasn't a net gain for them, but obviously the idea of not having to pay another £100 if I get a puncture in a few months is appealing.

I've noticed that most other similar policies reduce the payout depending on the wear level of the tyre, but can't see any mention of this on the policy details.

Associate
Don't expect a new tyre with a puncture, they will only patch it unless it is near the sidewall. I would want to know all the details before taking the insurance out.

Soldato
OP
I'm not expecting a replacement if it's repairable, the terms state:

"Tyres insured under the TyreCare policy will be repaired or replaced, fitted (including valve/s) and balanced at no additional cost to you, in the event that they are accidentally or maliciously damaged."

It reads to me that there shouldn't be anything to pay, even if the tyre is say 50% worn, but just wondered if anyone has actually used it - surprised how little info/reviews there are around

Soldato
Used to work there and sell it, no major loopholes AFAIK, if it's repairable, it's repaired, if not then it's replaced. There was something about the wear on the tyre though and how much you get paid out on the replacement.

Soldato
That's what I was wondering about, but the "at no additional cost to you" implies that the wear level doesn't make a difference (other than obviously being above the legal limit).

Yeah just reading the T&C's it doesn't say anything. It may well have changed in the 5 years since I worked there. It used to be in the leaflet that stated about the tread wear.

Soldato
T&C's say policy document has full conditions, and a quick google throws this on first page

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=939745 couple of potential caveats to allay, as already said -

Bear in mind it may have a "Betterment Clause" which is often invoked on tyre claims. This in effect means that if your tyres had an expected life of 4 years and you made a claim for them when they were two years old. The insurer would normally ask you to contribute 50% of the tyre cost as you would have brand new tyres. Have a look at the policy and also ask BMW Insurance whether they do this as it could affect the amount you receive towards a new tyre dramatically
Rang the insurance company today they said it was a false claim as I had not let them know but I explained it was after hours and the policy does state that it is ok so I emailed the bill to them and they told me they wont pay as the tyre had gone in one day and I had paid the next day so they will not pay out my claim .SO ITS A BIG CON when you buy things in good faith very dissappointed

Soldato
their t&c's say - https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/tyrecare-insurance

Key Features
About This Document
Please note that this policy summary does not contain the full terms and conditions of the contract of Insurance. Full details are contained within the Insurance Policy document, which can be obtained from the Centre Manager. Please read the Policy document to ensure you understand the cover it provides. The Insurance is designed to offer protection against accidental and malicious damage to your tyre(s). If you wish to see the full terms & conditions before purchase, please ask the Centre Manager.

is there a copy on the web ? i'd want to check on details

Soldato
OP
The same is true of all insurance surely?

It's a gamble on the chance of getting an irreparable puncture at least once every ~3 years, which obviously isn't a certainty, but far from impossible, I mean sure, I could put £8/tyre into a savings account every year instead I guess :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not rocket science is it

A) Elaborate
B) Make disparaging high-horse comments with no constructive input

Haze: "I'll take option B for 12 please Bob"

I'm sure you've probably got a perfectly valid point that you're trying to make somewhere, but is it really necessary to be such a patronising **** about it? :rolleyes:

Soldato
Tyre insurance lol, one born every minute

Took out tyre insurance (for 3 years as far as I remember) when I bought my car as I knew I'd be doing 30k a year so the likelyhood of a puncture was high, it was £150 for the entire term and so far I'm 19 months in and had 3 tyres replaced and 2 repairs all paid for which means I'm £220 approx in credit (£110 for a tyre and £20 a repair ish).

All insurance is a gamble on probability, this time for me it has paid of but for someone else (especially if you do low mileage) it may not.

Soldato
A) Elaborate
B) Make disparaging high-horse comments with no constructive input

Haze: "I'll take option B for 12 please Bob"

I'm sure you've probably got a perfectly valid point that you're trying to make somewhere, but is it really necessary to be such a patronising **** about it? :rolleyes:

I have had 4 punctures in 20 years, times annual insurance by 20, not very cost effective

Soldato
OP
Fair enough, I've had 5 punctures in 7 years, 2 of them unrepairable, luckily I had a spare in both situations so didn't have to pay over the odds for a replacement on short notice, but my current car doesn't have a spare (or anywhere to put one!) which is why I'm considering it. What mileage do you do out of interest?

Soldato
I don't have a spare, like most cars don't, and would highly recommended not using tyre weld stuff, as a lot of garage won't touch it. I do 10/12k a year, no motorway miles

Back
Top Bottom