Who here owns a Mini?

Associate
Quick question regarding insuring an R53 JCW. As the JCW kit was a factory/dealer fit option how do people go about insuring them? Putting the reg into insurance sites brings them up as a Cooper S, so is the JCW kit classed as a modification or just a factory option?

Associate
Quick question regarding insuring an R53 JCW. As the JCW kit was a factory/dealer fit option how do people go about insuring them? Putting the reg into insurance sites brings them up as a Cooper S, so is the JCW kit classed as a modification or just a factory option?

If it was on the car when it was delivered from the factory as new, no need to declare it. If someone added it on at a later date, it’s a modification.

Associate
If it was on the car when it was delivered from the factory as new, no need to declare it. If someone added it on at a later date, it’s a modification.

Yeah I get that, I'm just not 100% sure how the old R53 JCW kits were added. From what I've read they were a dealer fit, BMW approved, tuning kit that were either fitted at the time of the original sale or could be added at a later date. I don't think there was a "factory" R53 JCW as such.

I suppose the easiest way to know for certain is to call/message some insurers this week and see what they say.

Associate
Yeah I get that, I'm just not 100% sure how the old R53 JCW kits were added. From what I've read they were a dealer fit, BMW approved, tuning kit that were either fitted at the time of the original sale or could be added at a later date. I don't think there was a "factory" R53 JCW as such.

I suppose the easiest way to know for certain is to call/message some insurers this week and see what they say.

Found this:
https://surreynewmini.forumotion.co...jcw-kit-a-modified-car-for-insurance-purposes

Associate
I guess this is similar to when I had my old focus ST insured with the mountune 275 kit, it wasn't installed at the factory but added later. It did get a new insurance code when fitted though which meant it was insured as a focus 275 rather than a modified focus ST2.

Associate
Got myself a 2017 Mini Clubman SD. Really really like it - one question I do have however. Do heated wing mirrors come as standard? Noted this morning that it took ages for the mirrors to clear when driving into work. On my Audi they used to clear within a minute or so, this took around 15 minutes at least. Can't seem to find any info in either the user manual or interactive guides. I have the auto folding mirrors option, comfort pack and loads of other options.

Man of Honour
Picked up my countryman S E All 4 (good job on the catchy name there Mini) yesterday. Loving it so far. The infotainment stuff is way better than outgoing 4 year old X5. Drives great and really liking the package so far. Racing green with white stripes and roof looks ace to me (but appreciate not everyone's taste). Have had 7 or 8 years of X5s and was ready for a change.

Associate
Picked up my countryman S E All 4 (good job on the catchy name there Mini) yesterday. Loving it so far. The infotainment stuff is way better than outgoing 4 year old X5. Drives great and really liking the package so far. Racing green with white stripes and roof looks ace to me (but appreciate not everyone's taste). Have had 7 or 8 years of X5s and was ready for a change.

How do you find the size difference? Appreciate it’s very early days yet but keen to see how you get on.

Man of Honour
The back seats and head room are generous, no issue. Boot is much smaller but I think fine for most things. That will be the one that time will tell. Already enjoying the smaller footprint for getting around locally as we have a lot of smaller, busy roads. We used the third row of seats on average once a year over the past four years. Cheaper to get a cab to follow us as compared to the option!

Soldato
Halfords did an MoT on our F56 Cooper S last week and didn't reset the MoT light (known as vehicle inspection and emissions inspection on the car).

Doesn't look like there's any easy way to reset this myself, do you guys have any ideas? Will I need to take it to Mini?

Soldato
You can edit it in within idrive. Just click on the date.

Thanks Fox, it just looks like I can change the date of the MoT? If I just move it forward a year, will it look like the MoT never happened? I don't want a black mark against the car's history (whilst I appreciate an MoT isn't a service), or is this not recorded?

Soldato
IMG_20191117_183816.jpg

Clocked 9k. New PS4's fitted on the rears. Can't wait to replace the front p7 cinturato's.

Back
Top Bottom