How much do you pay for home & contents insurance?

Soldato
I can get it for £90 online but my premium came in at around £140 but it depends on individual circumstances/items....

Soldato
~£30/month for combined buildings & contents, £50 excess, accidental damage on both, plus home emergency and personal possessions cover.

Could be a lot cheaper without all the extras, but as above, depends what you want from it really

Associate
Varies massively. You'll get a thousand different answers.
Just shop around and try a cashback website.

Soldato
Can’t remember what the actual figure was, but after much online price comparison, Tesco worked out considerably cheaper than anyone else.

3 bed semi in NE London with all the usual contents. Not sure how much discount we got for having CCTV and ADT alarm system.

Soldato
Edge of the city, semi detached, 3 bed, some items listed separately due to cost of replacements being over £1500 come in at £160 each year and I shop around most of the time.

Caporegime
Cheers all :)

Not really.

Why not really?

You have no clue what you are talking about.

You go on a comparison site and pick what suits you.

Knowing what I pay is of no relevance to you because my insurance is specific to my own circumstances.

You can't be a very competent PA if you don't know how basics like insurance works.

How much is your life insurance for example is another completely useless question.

It's like asking how much do I pay for car insurance but without knowing how many cars I have, their value, their makes, models, driving history, age of cars and my details it makes zero difference to you.

It's a stupid question plain and simple.

If I told you I pay 20p or £2000 it makes zero difference to you. What are you going to do with that information? Nothing

Soldato
Typically I've just gone for the cheapest quote, as I've never used insurance so why pay £100-150 more for a more well known brand. I'm sure there are benefits but I'm not paying extra.

Caporegime
Typically I've just gone for the cheapest quote, as I've never used insurance so why pay £100-150 more for a more well known brand. I'm sure there are benefits but I'm not paying extra.

It's more to do with terms and conditions when it comes to things like jewellery or expensive one off items like professional cameras or high end tv's, laptops, etc.

Basically one item costing more than £1500, etc.

So I have to pay more to have things like my watches, other jewellery insured. As some companies only insure the bare minimum or lesser amounts.

So if I go with a certain company they might insure everything valued under £2500 per item as standard but you pay more for that.

The cheapest usually have a £1k limit which means each watch needs to be added individually then the wife's rings, etc all too which are all above the £1k limit each.

If I go with a company with a bigger limit then less stuff needs to be added on seperately.

Again it all depends on your circumstances and how much expensive stuff you have.

Associate
Slightly off topic, but related to the insurance question, and I don't mean to hijack your thread either OP.

But people are saying about insurance companies having a £1000-£1500 limit on an individual item, before you've got to add them to your policy separately.

How would that work with a PC?
Say you've built it yourself, and all the parts add upto £2500, do you add a PC at that value, or would all the parts be claimed for seperately should you need to claim?

Soldato
Slightly off topic, but related to the insurance question, and I don't mean to hijack your thread either OP.

But people are saying about insurance companies having a £1000-£1500 limit on an individual item, before you've got to add them to your policy separately.

Say you've built it yourself, and all the parts add upto £2500, do you add a PC at that value, or would all the parts be claimed for seperately should you need to claim?
I'd assume it's claimed individually, unless you paid £1500+ directly from overclockers for a prebuilt unit for example.

Caporegime

It's best to call your company and ask them directly.

However if you keep individual receipts you should be okay.

But best to talk to your company first about it as each one has different policies. It's why I usually go with a well known name and not the cheapest. They usually have a lot better policies and don't charge as much to make changes or additions.

So you might want to ring a few next time round and see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom