*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Haven't managed to get round to looking at mine yet. Is it good?

I'm absolutely loving it. The games with it are much more fun than I thought they would be as well.

I've got the robot and vehicle kit to get through next. Will keep me super busy. I really recommend you try it out soon.

Great with two people as well. My partner and I were doing it together to get through it as some of the build takes hours!

Man of Honour
I'm actually hating the game right now and feel like I'm the only one in the world that does.

Maybe open world games aren't for you, and that's not saying anything negative about you.

This is the game that got me into the genre, and there are many games that do a lot of things better than BotW in the genre (Skyrim, Horizon, Witcher 3) so maybe try a few others if this is your first foray into open world games.

Caporegime
Was playing Twilight Princess no problem, played horizon on PS4 and it's great, but this just doesn't hold your hand much does it, maybe new games have made me stupid.

Man of Honour
Was playing Twilight Princess no problem, played horizon on PS4 and it's great, but this just doesn't hold your hand much does it, maybe new games have made me stupid.

The first few hours are difficult and then it becomes a doddle for 95 percent of the game. I found this first few hours the best part of botw.

Associate
I'm actually hating the game right now and feel like I'm the only one in the world that does.

Nope, didnt like it either. Played when I first got the Switch for 10/11 hours and struggled. Went back to it after about 9 months started again, played for approx 20 hours.... just dont get the love for it. Love open world games just couldn't get into BOTW

Soldato
I only gave it about 10 hours also, I just found it really boring. The complete lack of story meant I just didn’t connect with the game at all.

I still have it and might go back to it some day.

Associate
BotW and many other open world games I struggle with a lot because I'm a perfectionist. I like completing quantifiable challenges and a linear story. I also hate missing things, so in a lot of open world games like Skyrim or Fallout I waste so much time with picking up useless **** that may or may not be useful.

However, in BotW there's pretty much always something useful to find wherever you explore and I love that. Once I got bored of exploring, I'd set myself a goal, like collecting and upgrading an armor set, reaching all the towers, finishing some side quests, something like that, just to keep me on a productive path. This really made me enjoy the game, just doing what I found fun at that time.

I also really struggled with the first few hours of the game, and it took me a while to really get into it. But once I was off plateau, did a few shrines and really got familiar with the mechanics, I couldn't put it down.

Caporegime
I have done the first 4 shrines now, I wanted to see how the game guided you into making the seafood meat chilli, it was only by chance I found the cabin and therefore the old mans diary.

Soldato
BotW really doesn't hold your hand at all but once you're in the 'zone' of how to approach things and constantly thinking along the lines of 'this place is hot, how do I keep cool' it really gets going.

The story is a bit flat until you start progressing, finding memories etc. and it gets more engaging as you go imo.

It's definitely not a linear progression though, you can tackle any of the four main 'temples' as and when you want or just go nuts and head straight for the castle after leaving the start area.

It's incredibly easy to get distracted too, there is so much to do in terms of side quests, shrines, encounters etc etc I reckon you could happily sink 200hrs into it and still be discovering things.

It's head and shoulders above anything else as my favourite game on the Switch

The only thing I don't like is the weapon system, prefer finding stuff and keeping it rather than it breaking every 5 minutes.

Associate
I didn't like BOTW at first either. The weapon and shield degredation mechanic really annoyed me. I got it in December 2017 and finally completed in December 2019! When I did go back to the game in late 2019 I decided to give it a proper go and tolerate the weapons breaking. So glad I did! Now I think the game is wonderful, but completely understand those who dont.

Back
Top Bottom