• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 3000 users how often do you hit boost clocks?

Associate
It's been about six months since the 3000 series launched. How many of you guys are hitting advertised boost clocks in games?
Few games, if any tax, a CPU all core 100% so can I have some feedback on how AGESA bios/Pbo etc is working now and whether two or three cores can ever realistically be expected to run at boost speeds in game?

Associate
Me on different Ryzen CPU's,Cinebench single and PC Gaming.There has not been a game that I have not hit Max Boost clock.
I should also say over all agesa 1.0.0.3/1.0.0.3ab/1.0.0.3abba/1.0.0.4b
2x3600X
3800X

Ryzen 3600X Precision Boost Overdrive Up To 4525Mhz

3800X 4650Mhz Boost Outlast 2

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
On default stock settings I tend to hit it but most of the time see 4175MHz on light loads or 4Ghz or a little under under heavy loads.

With my 4.4GHz all core overclock at 1.275v I get 4.4GHz at all times under any type of loads and get lower temps to boot :)

Can do 4.5GHz all core also, but it ain't worth the extra volts required for 24/7 so I don't bother. Better to step back and cruise at 4.4GHz :)

Associate
On pre-launch bios on b350, was constantly hitting 4.5GHz with 3700x (4.4 on the box) albeit with higher voltage and lower allcore no matter what, now often see 4.425GHz on AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA bios, but allcore steadily holds 4.250-4.150 with the lower voltage and higher overall performance.

Soldato
It's been about six months since the 3000 series launched. How many of you guys are hitting advertised boost clocks in games?
Few games, if any tax, a CPU all core 100% so can I have some feedback on how AGESA bios/Pbo etc is working now and whether two or three cores can ever realistically be expected to run at boost speeds in game?

Since AGESA 1003 had no issue hitting advertised speed on the 3900X. And games like X4 which hitting hard 2 cores mainly, the speed is 4550-4600 at 100% load for hours. Rest of the cores fluctuate depending their 60-80% loads.

Soldato
3800X here on a cheap X570 board ASRock phantom Gaming 4, ALL my cores will hit 4.55Ghz and a couple at 4.6Ghz. Older BIOS was better, could hit 4.6 on 5/8 cores. Couple these 3000 CPU's up with some high frequency RAM and you are golden for performance.

Associate
OP
Anecdotally it looks from these results that many of the CPUs are now hitting advertised speeds. However it may be that only owners
of chips that do reach advertised speeds are happy to respond to the question.

Soldato
Anecdotally it looks from these results that many of the CPUs are now hitting advertised speeds. However it may be that only owners
of chips that do reach advertised speeds are happy to respond to the question.

Same as when Debauer did the poll, only people with CPU's that didn't reach the advertised speeds, bothered to reply. :D

Associate
My 3800X usually sits at around 4.4Ghz, task Manager reads it as 4.35Ghz for all cores (or 4.391-4.416Mhz to be precise), half of the cores hit 4.5Ghz though I'm not sure how often that is, or in what situation.

I'm just going by the readings in HWinfo. Note that I don't have PBO active, or any other setting, everything is pretty much default settings aside from RAM overclock.

Associate
I have seen only once 4.7GHz and 4.725GHz on two cores out of the 16 on my 3950x and that was in HWInfo so must have happened very quickly as I was checking ryzen master like a hawk when i was running CB20 and nothing popped that high.

Even in gaming i don't get that high spikes on any core based on MSI afterburner stats. Still trying to get the hang of it with this processor, mostly it is sitting on really low usage on gaming that i tried these days haha. Talk about a waste of resourses.

Can anyone recommend a good video converter application that is usable and will utilise a lot of the processor?

Associate
Handbrake or VLC.
I didn't know vlc could convert as well, i will give it a try.

I used handbrake but I probably am doing something wrong, I was converting a video 4k file that my tv doesn't support through the usb drive, to something the tv likes and the app crashed. I might try it again or see a tutorial.

Associate
I found a handful of old movies I filmed last week saved in a horrible format. They werent too long in length but was a great workout for watching the cores do some real work. :)
Just felt I wanted to utilise the cores because the games I run so far didn't do much, GPU is 100% and CPU is less than 6% and possibly not many cores utilised. Plus I have loads of videos in stupid formats as well.

Back
Top Bottom