The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
I haven't picked out anything particular for drinking over Christmas. What I drink is based on what style I'm in the mood for and that changes from one day to the next. It's why I have a lot of open bottles! With that being said something from GlenDronach 15, Glengoyne Legacy, Compass Box Flaming Heart (2015) and Laphroaig Lore will almost certainly feature at some point over the festive period.

Nice selection, have you compared Billy Walker 15 to Rachel Barrie 15?

Associate
Nice selection, have you compared Billy Walker 15 to Rachel Barrie 15?
No, I only have the Rachel Barrie version. If you are interested in a direct comparison though I'm pretty sure Alan, The Whisky Friend on youtube, said he was planning doing a comparison video at some point soon. I think it was in his GlenDronach 15 v Glenallachie 15 video he said it.

I've had both versions of the 12 though and there wasn't enough of a difference to worry about in my view.

Associate
The start of my Christmas 2019 whisky stash, I only drink in December so like to get some good drams in:-

1. Kilkerran 8 Year Old Cask Strength Sherry 57.1%

1.jpg

I also have one of these after trying it and subsequently buying it at Springbank. I’ve not opened yet, but I know how much of a treat I’m in for. It’s excellent and an utter bargain at £48.

Soldato
Can you still buy the Kilkerran 8 Year Old Cask Strength Sherry 57.1%? Everywhere I've looked appears to be OOS. :(
Royal Mile Whiskies have it.

I thought the Kilkerran 12 was very ordinary (especially when I hit the Springbank 10 afterwards), but I guess those 8yos are a different beast?

I did well this year, got anCnoc 12, Highland Park 12 and Penderyn Madeira Finish. I would never expect my family to spend £40+ on a bottle for my so these are pretty decent buys imo.

Soldato
Royal Mile Whiskies have it.

I thought the Kilkerran 12 was very ordinary (especially when I hit the Springbank 10 afterwards), but I guess those 8yos are a different beast?

I did well this year, got anCnoc 12, Highland Park 12 and Penderyn Madeira Finish. I would never expect my family to spend £40+ on a bottle for my so these are pretty decent buys imo.

Just had a look, OOS too unfortunately.

Associate
Can you still buy the Kilkerran 8 Year Old Cask Strength Sherry 57.1%? Everywhere I've looked appears to be OOS. :(
Like the Springbank 12 CS, and other limited quantity batch runs, a lot of it gets snapped up by flippers at release. You will probably find a load of them on the auction houses this month, unfortunately most likely at vastly inflated prices.

Soldato
So in an effort to save my Remy Martin XO which there is about 2 glasses left I decided to try a new whisky so I plumbed for Jura Journey.

I quite liked the speyside peatless/smokeless one from xmas.. which we (the inlaws and I) drank in a week. At ~£50 i think it would be a little too much for a non special occasion :)

I’ve normally stuck to Islay, with bruichladdich, ardberg and others.

I’ve never tried a jura so :)

reading back through the thread Jura Journey got slated.. so hmm will have to see.

initial taste is that it is quite weak tasting which leaves the alcohol a bit sharp. Not bad taste just a little weak.

Last edited:

FTM

FTM

Soldato
any of the normal jura expressions are pretty bland I think..they still chill filter and colour which seems a bit odd given the number of makers moving away to better ABV's and more powerful and complex tastes

its only once you get up to the 16 that things get interesting

Soldato
any of the normal jura expressions are pretty bland I think..they still chill filter and colour which seems a bit odd given the number of makers moving away to better ABV's and more powerful and complex tastes

yup I would agree with that.

Associate

its only once you get up to the 16 that things get interesting
Jura get a lot of hate for what they put out, most of it justified. The thing is though I don't actually think it is the distillery's fault. You just have to look at who owns them and see what is going on at their other distilleries to see a worrying trend. I believe if the people making the stuff there were allowed to take the initiative and put out what they believe to be good whisky, and not what has been mandated that they do from on high, it would be a completely different story. Unfortunately that just doesn't look like it's going to happen. Not anytime soon at least.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
dont get me wrong..theres nothing bad about it...its just not great either..distinctly average..there nothing there that stands out and says buy me over another whisky

there are just much more interesting drams about

jura 12, chill filtered and 40%

in that price bracket...around the 35-40 quid mark say there are plenty of expressions out there now at 46% and unchill filtered and are really good..something like the Deanston 12

or spend a just a couple of quid more and get the tobermory 12 or a glen garioch 12

they are just more interesting to drink, more complex, and tastier

Associate
A great dram I had recently was Ardbeg 10

46%, non chill filtered. I'm biased towards peated malts but I'm hard pressed to name another dram that offers this much quality for the money, around £40~

Think I may have a new favorite.

Soldato
After something special for my 40th birthday this year. I'm VERY much a fan of Crown Royal so looking for something similar that'll move things up a notch for the night. I like smooth and velvety, not too much smoke, harsh notes or whiskey burn.

Any suggestions?

Soldato

46%, non chill filtered. I'm biased towards peated malts but I'm hard pressed to name another dram that offers this much quality for the money, around £40~

Think I may have a new favorite.
Yes, it's lovely. Really big fan.

I've bought the Game of Thrones Lagavulin recently (it's a 9 year) as it was down to around £35, and it's a great peated dram. I love a Lagavulin generally but it's usually outside of my "everyday drinking" price range.

Soldato
After something special for my 40th birthday this year. I'm VERY much a fan of Crown Royal so looking for something similar that'll move things up a notch for the night. I like smooth and velvety, not too much smoke, harsh notes or whiskey burn.

Any suggestions?

My missus got me 40 samples, all 40 years old or from 1978. She got them all from Master of Malt or Whiskey Exchange. Your birth year might be easier to find but no idea what you have available in your part of the world.

Black Bull 40yr old was the surprising one as its blended, would love a bottle of that but will no way be able to afford it/find it.
Glen Garioch 33yr old (1978) is also amazing, expensive but one hell of a treat.

At 40yrs old, grain whiskey is a lot cheaper and very good. Young grain is quite harsh.

Soldato

I tried this in a hotel bar not too long ago. I've never been a fan of the famous big smoky drams because I find the antiseptic/medicinal notes pretty horrid. However this was just a nice full body, peat, and actual flavour. I think I may have to get myself a bottle.

On that note a friend of mine recommended Longrow which is a peated Springbank. Absolutely lovely. I haven't managed to get another bottle of the Springbank 10 (gold dust?) which I loved but this is a nice variation. The Longrow is NAS but honestly who cares.

I bought it with the Bruichladdich Classic Laddie which honestly is a bit disappointing. Although quite smooth for 50%.

I've got my eye on the 'Bunnahabhain 10 Year Old - Discovery (Gordon & MacPhail)' as I adore the 12yo but I know nothing about independent bottlings. What is the deal, exactly? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom