Cancer patient set on fire during operation in Romania

Soldato
There are currently more than double the amount of EU nationals living in the UK then vice versa (although it would only be fair to note the demographic makeups of the two groups are different)
From the link you posted

UK pays France £147,685,772 France pays UK £6,730,292
UK pays Spain £223,290,021 Spain pays UK £3,412,338
UK pays Germany £25,873,954 Germany pays UK £2,189,664
UK pays Italy £7,304,484 Italy pays UK £1,510,850
UK pays Poland £4,336,701 Poland pays UK £1,523,402
and below explains the why, as everything has to do with the old Britons retiring abroad.
Or you except France, Spain, Germany pay for Britons healthcare when they haven't contributed to the local economies during their working years?

In 20 years time those numbers would include people like myself who have worked for 35+ years in UK and paid our taxes to that country.
Who you expect to fork my costs if I need to be hospitalised in eg Greece?

Health_costs_and_pensioners.png

As for "foreigners using NHS", you need to realise that the NHS losses are from outside the EU countries. Inside the EU there are treaties and mechanisms to pay each other automatically.

I am on prescribed medication until death. I pay my taxes in UK for 16 years, so is oxymoron to expect Greece to pay for my costs. Except if you believe in a form of medical appartheid, where people regardless if contributing to the economy cannot receive the same healthcare.

And here is the UK corruption that you have missed. The same medication I pay £8.99 for the fee, plus another £15 paid by the NHS to the manufacturer, is a pure robbery considering the same exactly drug in Greece doesn't require prescription and costs retail €7.50 without further cost to anyone else.

Thats were NHS loses money and no "foreigner" is responsible if some of you "natives" have the hands on the till.

Man of Honour
My response to him was that patients catching fire is more common than people think

Well I've worked in one of the biggest Trusts in a particular department for 11 years and I can tell you that if a patient caught fire it would be on my desk.
I can't wait to get to work on Monday on our DATIX system to see how many it's happened to behind my back.

Permabanned
Well I've worked in one of the biggest Trusts in a particular department for 11 years and I can tell you that if a patient caught fire it would be on my desk.
I can't wait to get to work on Monday on our DATIX system to see how many it's happened to behind my back.

In the US it's estimated that between 500 to 600 surgical fires occur every year. In England and Wales between 2012 and 2018 there were 37 surgical fires. Between 2012 and 2016 there were 54 surgical accidents a third of which were fires in Canada.

But Romania, right?

Caporegime
From what I gather we also have a lot of UK trained medics leaving for better conditions in foreign health services.

So we're not just a taker, we're a giver too :)
Indeed my youngest brothers wife is a gp. They went to Australia where she was making close to 6 figures, stayed there for 6 yrs or so and now have moved to Canada where she’s still making a lot more money than here and it seems conditions over there are better from what she has said.

Associate
Indeed my youngest brothers wife is a gp. They went to Australia where she was making close to 6 figures, stayed there for 6 yrs or so and now have moved to Canada where she’s still making a lot more money than here and it seems conditions over there are better from what she has said.

Awesome, so that's 2 countries that I can get free healthcare from then...

Man of Honour
but does that mean patients catching fire?
I bet we've got at least one surgical fire.
I'm sure it really isn't that hard to do. Unevaporated chlorhexidine/alcohol prep and bipolars do not mix.
There's always posters in every OR about this (well at least in the theatre suite in my trust)

(Declaration of interest: not a surgeon)

Caporegime
No but it creates shortages in countries that still need care as much as anyone. The UK pay more money so if they are hoping to provide their families with a good life (like we all do) then of course they follow the money.

Their "will" would be to probably work in their home country if it had a decent infrastructure and pay.

I've used the NHS enough to know that foreign professionals were vital and whining about the NHS being used by foreign people to have a baby safely is just sad.

This is why the EU stinks because all these little satellite states get sucked dry of their skilled and hard working people. It's basically a Pyramid scheme on a massive scale.

It is a no brainer when you are a trained doctor from Romania to be paid 5 times the salary in the UK and Romania who have spent all their tax payers money doing it can do nothing to stop it as they just cannot compete.

Man of Honour
I'm sure it really isn't that hard to do. Unevaporated chlorhexidine/alcohol prep and bipolars do not mix.
There's always posters in every OR about this (well at least in the theatre suite in my trust)

(Declaration of interest: not a surgeon)

I've had cases where patients have been burnt on the operating table but not caught fire.

Man of Honour
I've had cases where patients have been burnt on the operating table but not caught fire.
(but i'm just guessing here...no idea what they did in romania)

40% burns = more than front and back of the torso burnt (front + back of torso = 36%) - so maybe if they drenched the whole operating field with prep and started using the bipolar immediately, i'm guessing it'll have a chance to become combustible causing the drapes to catch fire

Soldato
This is why the EU stinks because all these little satellite states get sucked dry of their skilled and hard working people. It's basically a Pyramid scheme on a massive scale.

It is a no brainer when you are a trained doctor from Romania to be paid 5 times the salary in the UK and Romania who have spent all their tax payers money doing it can do nothing to stop it as they just cannot compete.
It's the same as what happens in a country.

People born in Scarborough leave it to find work in London (etc.). This is remedied by taxing people and spreading the tax income around the country. This effect is what is happening in the EU too. Think of Poland as Scarborough and Germany as London. That's why the EU is headed for single monetary policy, taxation and federalisation. To redistribute wealth to the cities (*cough states cough*).

Caporegime
It's the same as what happens in a country.

People born in Scarborough leave it to find work in London (etc.). This is remedied by taxing people and spreading the tax income around the country. This effect is what is happening in the EU too. Think of Poland as Scarborough and Germany as London. That's why the EU is headed for single monetary policy, taxation and federalisation. To redistribute wealth to the cities (*cough states cough*).

I doubt we will see this in our lifetime or at all.

Soldato
I doubt we will see this in our lifetime or at all.
Depends how old you are. It's inevitable. If you have free movement, it's effectively working as one economy. People flock to opportunity/jobs, leaving a shortage in the place they left. This is remedied in a nation by tax being distributed around the country. It is inevitable that professionals in poorer EU countries will move to richer ones for better prospects. Who pays the state pension of the elderly in the countries they left behind? It is going to happen.

It already kind of does happen in that the amount contributed towards the EU budget is not equal amongst member states. The richer pay more etc. And the poorer states receive the most grants. This is basically the same as a young professional from Scarborough, moving to London, earning money there, and part of his tax going back to Scarborough.

If tax income were only spent within the cities/towns it was generated in then northern towns would be bankrupt and London would be Dubai. This same principle is being applied at the nation level (rather than city level) within the EU.

Last edited:
Associate
Load of rubbish. Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, York, Harrogate. Just a few of the northern cities. Not even mentioned Manchester.

Bankrupt? No better off, as money wouldn't be siphoned off for work on southern railways or infrastructure. But spent on local issues.

People Oop north do work you know

Back
Top Bottom