• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
I tried both 19.12.3 would crash after around 20 mins and 19.12.2 after around 40 mins. Both were unpredictable though. Reverted back to 19.11 and all is good and solid again. Sometime just loading a game would cause a hard lock

Soldato
19.12.1 seems good for me to so far.

Anything later has that ugly new bloatware GUI and doesn't work properly. If they are going to stick with that I'm just going to start installing the driver only via device manager and forget the control panel.

Last edited:
Associate
I tried both 19.12.3 would crash after around 20 mins and 19.12.2 after around 40 mins. Both were unpredictable though. Reverted back to 19.11 and all is good and solid again. Sometime just loading a game would cause a hard lock

I tried .2 then .3 but went back to .1 due to random crashes & lockups.

19.12.1 works fine though

Associate
It's clear now that 19.12.2 was rushed out for the 5500 xt launch with Radeon Boost probably included to make that card more appealing. Sadly it was at the expense of just about everything else and so 12.3 was released quickly on the back of it but hardly fixed anything by sounds of it. At least in July when the 5700 was launched we had 5 driver releases to resolve some of the initial release issues and those were much less impactful than the ones now. Sure the devs deserve their Christmas break but this month's release feels like a hit and run resulting in many of us reverting to earlier known good versions because of the lack of fixes. It's an utter shambles and AMD have been woeful. Next time they need to do their big annual release in January when they have the resources to fix the problems.

And breathe.....

Associate
It's clear now that 19.12.2 was rushed out for the 5500 xt launch with Radeon Boost probably included to make that card more appealing. Sadly it was at the expense of just about everything else and so 12.3 was released quickly on the back of it but hardly fixed anything by sounds of it. At least in July when the 5700 was launched we had 5 driver releases to resolve some of the initial release issues and those were much less impactful than the ones now. Sure the devs deserve their Christmas break but this month's release feels like a hit and run resulting in many of us reverting to earlier known good versions because of the lack of fixes. It's an utter shambles and AMD have been woeful. Next time they need to do their big annual release in January when they have the resources to fix the problems.

And breathe.....

Throwing out a big update right before Christmas is a bit of a gamble.
I wouldn't and don't start any new projects right before Christmas for good reasons.

maybe they had some games to fix and the new drivers fixed them but it's caused me nothing problems.

Associate
Throwing out a big update right before Christmas is a bit of a gamble.
I wouldn't and don't start any new projects right before Christmas for good reasons.

maybe they had some games to fix and the new drivers fixed them but it's caused me nothing problems.

We have an IT change freeze where I work which this year runs from 13th December until 3rd January. It's crazy to risk your IT platforms when your support capability is running at around half, with most of that being from offshore. Presumably AMD wanted the 5500 xt out in time for Santa to fill some stockings and that necessitated a driver update. But why bundle a brand new interface and features at the same time just before your staff all f off on holiday? Idiocy

Soldato
Endless driver issues and their priorities is a guff new UI and web browser... AMD refuses to help themselves.
In fairness it does bring with it the single greatest improvement in the history of AMD/ATi drivers, something people have been heavily demanding for years:

amd.png

For the first time ever you don't have to randomly guess whats the newest most up to date option out of the installed/local/recommended drivers, it actually tells you :O

Soldato
Something odd going on - keeps on loosing my undervolt settings (970mv) and reverting to default (1060mv). No alerts or messages either. Think I'll revert back.

Sounds like that old bug in wattman if memory serves me correct. The fix was to disable fast startup from the advanced power settings. Not saying itll 100% cure it, but a lot of ppl had success after doing that.

Associate
My odd fast startup bug was that it would load the wrong driver for my NIC for some reason, it would load the mobile - rather than the desktop -version of the driver which loaded ok but wouldn't connect to the network.

Associate
Sounds like that old bug in wattman if memory serves me correct. The fix was to disable fast startup from the advanced power settings. Not saying itll 100% cure it, but a lot of ppl had success after doing that.

Seems to ring a bell - think I had to do this on my previous setup. Did a fresh W10 install when I went to my AMD setup. Not noticed any issues until now though, but will check the settings out again tonight as see how I go.

Associate
Seems to ring a bell - think I had to do this on my previous setup. Did a fresh W10 install when I went to my AMD setup. Not noticed any issues until now though, but will check the settings out again tonight as see how I go.

Just checked - and fast startup option is already switched off. Seems to have kept the undervolt settings on boot up this time. Hmm....

Back
Top Bottom