Back to work and already waiting for the next bank holiday.....

Soldato
I'm not back until next Monday 6th after having 2 weeks off over Xmas. Not looking forward to it. In fact sometimes I wish I was still working in retail where I would be working over Xmas (although with Xmas, Boxing & NYD off). Least that way I wouldn't have the going back to work dread.

Soldato
Don't forget (or do and claim ignorance is bliss ;) ) that the early May Bank Holiday this year has been randomly changed to Friday 8th May to randomly commemorate the 75th anniversay of VE Day... We have the least number of bank hols of any European country IIRC, why VE Day could not have been an additional 9th bh is a mystery.

Labour were going to give us 4 extra holidays a year but obviously the people didn't want this.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

10th April I think is the next national holiday in Engerland :)

what a horrible month Jan is! Cold, Dark, Long etc

who else is back to work today and can provide me some motivation to get through the day ahead?

Its the January blues... I get it every year after the festive period and new year.

Makes it worse knowing that from January to April, almost nothing happens. Already looking forward to summer now

Soldato
I was back in today and I broke my body clock as badly as you. Good luck, today felt like they'd removed the caffeine from the coffee.
I work in a very relaxed factory environment, Monday morning will be spent sitting around drinking tea and catching up with everyone I haven’t seen for 3 weeks. :)

Soldato
Knew today was going to be tough so came in twice over the holiday just to clear up some of the backlog. Was worth doing those 2 hours for an easier first day back.

Associate
Whilst not back at university I have exams coming up in the next couple of weeks so I've been doing studying at home.

I may get some time off at easter but I'll have a dissertation to write and jobs to apply for so I couldn't say when I'll be able to have a proper break.

I'm doing dry 'January' (started on Monday) and it's been fine so far as I'd become fed up of alchohol due to heavy/frequent December drinking.

Man of Honour
I had Christmas day and new years eve off apart from that I've been working/on call.

The plus side is January's pay will be almost a whole weeks worth bigger than usual and there's been no dread of opening my inbox to weeks of emails.

The downside is I'm flipping knackered and we're rolling straight into releasing another project business wide.

Where I work (NHS), everyone in admin had the same idea and broke up on Friday 20th December and then come back on Tuesday 7th January. Not sure why Tuesday 7th though and not Monday 6th?

In the department where I am, 2 of us do the same work so as long as 1 of us is in, the other can go off. So I worked around Christmas as I don't mind doing that and then I got given today and tomorrow off instead. I think that coming back to work on 2nd January is way too soon after New Year. We should adopt the Scottish model and treat both 1st + 2nd as bank holidays.

Soldato
Back to work after a week away and already it feels like a million miles/million years ago.

10th April I think is the next national holiday in Engerland :)

what a horrible month Jan is! Cold, Dark, Long etc

who else is back to work today and can provide me some motivation to get through the day ahead?

January's not so bad theres still the afterglow of xmas and its only been winter for a month or so. Statistically some date in February is the worst with the highest rate of depression xmas is long past winters been going on for an eternity and its still a good couple of months before Spring kicks into gear.

Im all for having extra bank holidays.

They need to spread them out a bit theres what, 2 or 3 in April and another in May. Then none till August and no others till next Xmas! Nothing ever gets done about it though.

Knew today was going to be tough so came in twice over the holiday just to clear up some of the backlog. Was worth doing those 2 hours for an easier first day back.

Backlog is the worst while you're away people covering do just enough to not get into trouble and no more it takes days to get back on top of it all.

Last edited:
Soldato
That is a poor exchange rate for having Corbyn in charge...and, in reality, unlikely they were (or probably even could have)

Unlikely you say because the right wing press such as The Sun and Daily Mail have told everyone that it would bankrupt the country if the lazy workers had any more time off. If the Tories had suggested it then it would have been a different story. Similar to this...

1578183493.jpg

Back
Top Bottom