Posture Correctors

Underboss
Hi all

I am curious, has anyone actually used these Posture Corrector in the past ?
How did you find them ?

I've been tempted by the idea of one, but the physio never mentioned to get one

personally I believe if the Physios that i have seen have never prescribed me one, or told me to get one.
then is it a bad idea to get one ?
surely overtime your body will get used to using these and muscles start to fail so to speak ?

NOTE, NOT A MEDICAL THREAD, just curious to see how people get on with them, nothing more

Caporegime
Pointless

At most, they'll show you how screwed up your posture is, it can't fix it.

Been using computers all your life? Yes, a magical posture corrector will resolve all your problems in ten mins and undo 30 years of hunchback of Notre Dame

Figure out what is wrong with your posture (not aimed at op specifically) and fix the underlying cause

Associate
I bought one last year and wear it now and again when i'm walking for a while and have a rucksack or bag on my back. Trip to london kinda thing.
The first few notes on the amazon page:
  • [REGAIN NATURAL HEIGHT & MOBILITY] Your New Posture Will Make You Feel 15 Years Younger! - imo having a bad back solved might do this, but to put a year number on it wtf
  • [FULLY ADJUSTABLE DESIGN] The Brace Will Perfectly Adjust To Your Body And Its Needs! - well they adjust as you wrap the straps around your shoulders. So if your back needs adjusting, the wording makes it sound inviting. This doesn't just, happen..
I've found when I do wear it that I need to put in a conscious effort to not slouch. Slouching is easy to do, and thinking about having a string holding up your head is a trick to help keep good posture. When wearing it I remember more to hold my head and shoulders up than without.

I went to a chiropractor last year and they didn't say it was a bad thing, but didn't reccomend them either. In fact, I don't think the guy actually cared but he was pleased I was trying to help things

Commissario
I am curious, has anyone actually used these Posture Corrector in the past ?
Have you been getting the adverts for them on Youtube? The one where the attractive slouching woman puts one on and all of a sudden she has quite a prominent cleavage? It's probably the only advert where I've not hit the 'skip' button :D

Man of Honour
Soldato
I've tried 3 of them now.

The first was one of the strappy type things you see quite a lot. I wasn't a fan, it was uncomfortable to wear for long periods and was a bit fiddly.

Second one i bought was a t-shirt by "Pelham and Strutt" https://www.pelhamandstrutt.com/compression-t-shirts-for-men.html

That was much better, as a posted mentioned about, it's a gentle reminder to sit/stand straighter. I found it particularly useful for nights out when i'd be stood for long periods of time and have a habit of hunching over and getting backache.

Sadly i left that in a hotel room around 6 months ago, tried a cheaper version off Amazon for around £15 and whilst it seems to work moderately well, it rides up over my belly as i walk around and ends up resembling more of a crop top!

Will definitely buy one of the Pelham and Strutt ones again. I found my posture was better when not using it and just wearing it at certain times/activites, so it's certainly useful as a tool to get you into the habit of standing better.

Underboss
OP
Have you been getting the adverts for them on Youtube? The one where the attractive slouching woman puts one on and all of a sudden she has quite a prominent cleavage? It's probably the only advert where I've not hit the 'skip' button :D

Skip never works for me lol

Actually I've been toying with the idea for a long time, but lately I've been thinking about trying to think of ways to correct me, as its starting to get on my brain more

Soldato
Might actually weaken the musculature over time, by your body straining against it, strengthening the opposite muscle set from the one which is actually weak.
Couldn't say for sure, if the device was solid with no moveable elements, like an orthotic insert for a shoe, then it might have some use, but bands to pull you back into shape, isn't actually working the muscles that should be doing that task, so i can't see how long term it is productive or useful.

Soldato
if you are a desk jockey , get a kneeling chair ... these improve your core stability / anatagonist stomach muscles - worked for me following ruptured disc.

Underboss
OP
if you are a desk jockey , get a kneeling chair ... these improve your core stability / anatagonist stomach muscles - worked for me following ruptured disc.

not at work, im on my feet 9 hours a day (well 7.5 hours), I do at home though
few years ago i bought one of those Steal Leap v.2 chairs so i don't want to change that

Soldato
yes, it may not be beneficial if you are not sitting down much ... but a kneeling chair is very different( both orthopaedic and fun) to a Herman Miller aeron, I binned.

Soldato
I had one which did actually make a difference after a while. Don't rely on them to hold you in position, they won't. They are supposed to encourage you to sit properly.

Back
Top Bottom