• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When to upgrade from a 980ti??

Associate
I realise this thread has been inactive for 5 months, however I am in the exact same boat.

I have a 3440x1440 screen and a 980Ti. At 1440p ultrawide it just cannot keep up anymore, yet there is no reasonable value upgrade route. A 5700XT perhaps, but still that is not even a 50% performance increase.
Wait till at least CES 2020 next week - a 980 Ti at least once clocked up there should still do fairly well.

Soldato
I realise this thread has been inactive for 5 months, however I am in the exact same boat.

I have a 3440x1440 screen and a 980Ti. At 1440p ultrawide it just cannot keep up anymore, yet there is no reasonable value upgrade route. A 5700XT perhaps, but still that is not even a 50% performance increase.

GPUs and value dont really go together anymore sadly.

the 980ti et al were all born during age where GPUs were 'reasonably priced'. To get more performance, for now, we're having to be extortionate prices.

and with HDMI 2.1 and probably much better RT performance around the corner on Nvidia cards for this refresh, i don't see them not milking us more.

ur best value will come when people sell of their RTX 2080s and 2080tis on the second hand market during the next NV-refresh sadly.

Soldato
I run a 1080 overclocked as far as it will go. I'm still very satisfied with the performance at 3440x1440, and probably will be for some time.

I have quite the stockpile of games that are 2 to 5 years old, they look great on UW. Second hand my system wasn't expensive.

If you're willing to not play the latest titles, and stick to the very best games of yesteryear, Indies etc a 980ti/1080 will last you for some time imo.

It's my CPU I'm worried about more than anything.

Man of Honour
If I’m being honest, the market seems to have lost its ****ing mind; people pre-ordered a consumer card that cost £1,200, with only 30% more performance than a 1080ti

The thing is, at that time a 1080ti was also very expensive. I can't remember exact pricing but it was still around £700 iirc. Probably even higher for a fancy variant akin to the 2080ti models priced at £1200. Or thinking about it if the pre-order was taken earlier in 2018 the mining craze was still just about going so you could be talking £800. So you were talking perhaps a 50% higher price for that 30% extra performance. That's not actually far out of kilter (50:30) for the flagship models, historically, in terms of markup for getting more performance at the top end.

Associate
50% price markup for 30% more perf is really only acceptable within the same generation of products imho, hence the 2080Ti comes under heavy criticism for its value even as a performance leader pricing is bonkers.

I think we are seeing some movement finally next week or at least a guide on how long we’ll have to wait it out.

Soldato
Secondhand market is pretty good now tbh, i managed to steal a waterblocked 2080 Aorus Xtreme edition for £500 with its 4 year warranty still intact and unregistered. If you look hard enough you can find really good deals about. If you're looking at new cards then the 2070S or 5700xt is the only decent price/perf card. Anything above that just isn't worth it...

Soldato
I went 2070 super with one of gibbo's recent deals to tide me over till I hopefully jump in with something more high end next year as my pair of 980Ti's weren't doing what I wanted... I have to say when taken in reference to the bonkers GPU market it was a reasonably good deal. Got it for £450 with CoD modern warfare code, and handily out performs a single 980Ti which is ultimately what most of my games were using.

I can play CoD modern warfare with all settings turned up, 4k resolution (but rendering at 85%), RTX shadows turned on, giving a very solid 60fps... it's not a 4k powerhouse but it's actually a pretty decent proposition if you can find one in that price range.

That said, right now I'd wait to see what AMD unveils at CES. Fingers crossed for a big shake up!

Soldato
The 90s when GPUs were reasonably priced are long gone I'm afraid. Since the introduction of the Geforce 256, prices have got out of hand.

It amazes me that people thought the 980ti or any other high end card was a bargain. The high end has always been for people in high end jobs in my opinion.

The 90s when GPUs were reasonably priced are long gone I'm afraid. Since the introduction of the Geforce 256, prices have got out of hand.

It amazes me that people thought the 980ti or any other high end card was a bargain. The high end has always been for people in high end jobs in my opinion.
My 980Ti was a bargain. Paid £135 for it in the spring from these forums. Regarding new purchase cost.....sod that!

Soldato
The thing is, at that time a 1080ti was also very expensive. I can't remember exact pricing but it was still around £700 iirc. Probably even higher for a fancy variant akin to the 2080ti models priced at £1200. Or thinking about it if the pre-order was taken earlier in 2018 the mining craze was still just about going so you could be talking £800. So you were talking perhaps a 50% higher price for that 30% extra performance. That's not actually far out of kilter (50:30) for the flagship models, historically, in terms of markup for getting more performance at the top end.

I don't think it'll be a thing we'll reach a consensus on. 50% cost for 30% gain I'd accept between tiers, not generations. There's a reason the 20 series didn't do as well as predicted.

I'd only be able to justify the price / performance of a new 2080ti if I'd pre-ordered it and was trying to bury my buyer's remorse.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't think it'll be a thing we'll reach a consensus on. 50% cost for 30% gain I'd accept between tiers, not generations. There's a reason the 20 series didn't do as well as predicted.

I'd only be able to justify the price / performance of a new 2080ti if I'd pre-ordered it and was trying to bury my buyer's remorse.
50% price markup for 30% more perf is really only acceptable within the same generation of products imho, hence the 2080Ti comes under heavy criticism for its value even as a performance leader pricing is bonkers.

I think we are seeing some movement finally next week or at least a guide on how long we’ll have to wait it out.

The argument about the cards being of different generations made sense in the old days where you would typically see an old generation card to have dropped in price rendering the launch price irrelevant. But the 1080ti hadn't - so does it really matter whether it is between tiers or generations, especially when the cards co-exist at the same time? Surely all that matters is the level of performance you can achieve. Also bear in mind the 1080ti came out nearly a year after the 1080. Whereas the 2080ti came out alongside the rest of the 2000 series. So arguably the 1080ti is only half a generation behind.

FWIW I'm not suggesting the RTX2080ti is or has ever been a good value card; I've always shopped around the mid-range segment looking for value and the most I've ever paid for a brand new card was £240 for a GTX280 (I actually paid £270 for a second hand 1070ti in Sept2018, which goes to show how little value there was in the new market at the time, although adjusting for inflation the GTX280 was probably more expensive in real terms). I guess the point I'm making is that you will always have people willing to pay a premium and a +30% improvement over a market-leading card is actually pretty good in the modern era. I never really realised it at the time but the 2080ti is an absolute beast, it's something like half as fast again as a Radeon VII. And the market had already gone berzerk with £750+ cards by the time it came out.

Soldato
The market was gouged to high heaven during the mining craze, and the manufacturers and distis never allowed it to recover. The reason the cards sold in tandem is because Nvidia was stuck with a load of stock from the mining bust.

The 1080ti was an overpriced card to, a mick take I could just about have accepted had the 2080ti been the same price.

I'm the same as you, I buy second hand, I watercool, overclock and play last gens games.

I suppose I'm just salty, I so wish that people wouldn't support these practices.

Soldato
I didn't mind treating myself to a £1350 GPU in February - it won't matter too much about the performance increase the new generation brings, as I'm confident my card will still play at 4k, Ultra settings for quite some time (looking forward in particular to Cyberpunk 2077).

I *do* mind that I've only had the chance to play on it half a dozen times this year.

Soldato
I didn't mind treating myself to a £1350 GPU in February - it won't matter too much about the performance increase the new generation brings, as I'm confident my card will still play at 4k, Ultra settings for quite some time (looking forward in particular to Cyberpunk 2077).

I *do* mind that I've only had the chance to play on it half a dozen times this year.

I don't think 4k Ultra 60fps is going to be the 2080tis wheelhouse for long. It's already impossible with RTX on for the handful of games that support it.

I think you'll be turning down settings for Cyberpunk, sorry mate.

Back
Top Bottom