Official Home Gym Building Thread

Soldato
anyone got any advice for reducing the running noise from a treadmill?

We have it in the garage which is built into the house but can hear running footsteps from the floor above the garage. cant hear the maching just the thumps of running.

We have the treadmill on a mat that came with it which is then on plastic garage floor tiles over a concrete floor. It is next to a wall that is just bare concrete block.

thanks.

Associate
I've had to do away with my garage cage after accepting that it was taking up too much space and not seeing enough use (it was just a bit too large for the space it was in - so unloading/loading the bar was always an issue)

Anyway, I've found somewhere local to do weights now - but on cardio days I'd like an alternative to running (because it's cold and windy currently); I've looked at a few options - quite like the look of either an air assault bike or maybe a rowing machine, and in my more extravagant moments I've looked at the Atom Wattbike and thought maybe, maybe...

Is there a handy guide as to which is best for what?

Soldato
The assault bike or 'devils tricycle' is great if your a masochistic.

Its non impact, can use arms and legs in a push and pull fashion and resistance scales with your effort.

Doesnt matter how strong or fit you are, if you wanted to absolutely destroy yourself in 60 seconds, you could... or you can take it slowly/do intervals.

People often compete for records on how many calories you can burn in a minute.

I dont cardio anymore but if I had to pick any of those, it would be the assault bike.

A plus is that it's the sort of sound that doesnt travel and also ventilates the room when being used.

Associate
Rowing is good and agree that it would have to be Concept 2 - I've done a fair bit of indoor rowing over the years (indoor and outdoor) but my issue would be that it does take up a bit more space to do it properly; whereas I think the assault bike (or similar) would be more contained.

However, after the garage cage I am measuring and marking everything out fully to make sure that I'd be happy with how much space I have.

Soldato
Hi all,

Posted this in the gym rats thread but realised its probably better here:

Any suggestions for 2x20kg plates to add to my work gym - as cheap as possible as its not MY gym.

Our provided 'metal' plates only go up to 145kg total which I'm now past for madcow for deadlifts and will soon be for squats.

Was looking at one set of bumpers or Olympic size ones to bring the bar up to uniform height for deadlift, as the ones we have are old and small in height, if that even makes sense...

also happy for second hand etc, but looking at usual FB MKT place etc. everything is REALLY bad shape.

Soldato
vJ3h846.jpg

Very small garage setup to go alongside my gym membership, I've got my first PT session on Thursday and plan to use this before night shifts and at weekends/school holidays when I have my kids so I can still work out.

Would love an Olympic bar and weights but I'm only just starting out properly so that's maybe something for the future.

Plan to give it a bit of paint and cover the insulation up when its a bit warmer but as the house is rented (hence all the crap stored behind it) always a bit reluctant to spend too much money on it... I would like to pick up a better weight storage rack too but that will come in the future when I need better/more weights.

Last edited:
Associate
Any recommendations for a home weights bench that's well built but not going to cost me the earth? The current bench I've got includes inbuilt support for a barbell, but having just acquired a cage they're redundant and just rather in the way.

Really need to get back into this, motivation is at an all time low :(

Man of Honour
Any recommendations for a home weights bench that's well built but not going to cost me the earth? The current bench I've got includes inbuilt support for a barbell, but having just acquired a cage they're redundant and just rather in the way.

Really need to get back into this, motivation is at an all time low :(

I have this one and can't fault it after 14 months of use

https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf430-deluxe-utility-bench-2019-model

can't say i've owned any others though

Man of Honour
UL2pSZj.jpg

Got a T-Bar platform and Dip station from Mirafit arriving today then it’s done. Wanted to move to home gym training anyway as I just cba with going to busy gyms any more, so glad I did it now with all the closures going on

Man of Honour
inb4 can see the other half of the garage isn't painted and there's a pile **** in the corner :p

Other half isn't painted, only wanted the gym area painted.

The garage is empty though, nothing in there other than a chest freezer and tumble drier, then mounted on the wall is my bike and lawnmower :p

Man of Honour
That price can't be real surely? :eek:

I love the idea, where you can hot-swap between weights and take up very little room, but that's a LOT of money.

That's actually pretty cheap for a set of two! Given they scale down in size and aren't the same width no matter the weight, it's a very good price. Powerhouse fitness do a set for £485 but they aren't as good as those

Back
Top Bottom