• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yes, because they've never shown an ounce of such nous before then
There was the HD7000 series, Nvidia launched their mid-range parts as the GTX670/680 because they believed they were enough to beat the HD7950/7970 (instead of just launching the GTX780 as the GTX680 there and then) then AMD magically "found" driver/firmware updates that enabled the 7950/7970 to start beating the 670/680 and for a lot less money.

There was actually a class action threatened by US customers over that, as they believed they had been harmed by AMD intentionally holding back performance until after the competition launched.

Caporegime
then AMD magically "found" driver/firmware updates that enabled the 7950/7970 to start beating the 670/680 and for a lot less money.

Yeah that's a little different though, plus it's back when AMD actually had a comparable driver-team (unlike now) so def had the manpower to pull that off.

Soldato
There was actually a class action threatened by US customers over that, as they believed they had been harmed by AMD intentionally holding back performance until after the competition launched.

With the same logic, the 2070S owners should start a class action against AMD today, because with 19.12.2 drivers, 5700XT got 7% performance boost over 19.11.1 on which brought it line if not beating the 2070S....... with the reference blower....

Or all those who got Nvidio 3d kit & 3d monitors should sue Nvidia for dropping support last March.

Soldato
It's uniquely amd issue. I don't see why they would do it on purpose though. It's just that AMD is always on the back foot and they launch their graphics cards well before the drivers are 100% ready. It's like they sell you a GPU but the drivers are only in Alpha. Then over the following months it goes through Alpha, Beta and finally it gets to Release and that's when you notice a performance increase.

Associate
I'd like this to be true but AMD have consistently disappointed in the GPU space for nearly a decade. Over-promising and under-delivering
while their marketing department add insult to injury with ludicrous statements like 'an overclocker's dream' and 'poor Volta' which undermine the glacially slow progress their GPU arm is making. Here's hoping....
I'd be happy if they had crossfire working on the 5700XT, at least that would allow 2080ti performance from an AMD solution but they seem to have stopped supporting Mgpu which I guess makes sense if they struggle to get single GPU drivers working consistently from launch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like Nvidia may be slightly worried so they drop their own rumours.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/n...ter-than-turing-at-half-the-power-consumption

As Published in the Taiwan Times news, a Taiwanese investment firm (through discussions with companies like MSI and ASUS) reports that Nvidias Ampere GPUs to launch q3 2020. Built on 7nm process from TSMC and Samsung. Has 50% higher performance And up to 50% lower power draw at the same time, compared to 12nm Turing. This would mean the Performance per Watt is nearly Double that of Turing if true.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looks like Nvidia may be slightly worried so they drop their own rumours.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/n...ter-than-turing-at-half-the-power-consumption

As Published in the Taiwan Times news, a Taiwanese investment firm (through discussions with companies like MSI and ASUS) reports that Nvidias Ampere GPUs to launch q3 2020. Built on 7nm process from TSMC and Samsung. Has 50% higher performance And up to 50% lower power draw at the same time, compared to 12nm Turing. This would mean the Performance per Watt is nearly Double that of Turing if true.

The 7nm+ EUV process has a 70% power reduction and 30% performance increase over 16nm+++++/12nm. so that is 100% power-performance increase and double performance per watt.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14954/tsmc-n7-euv-process-technology-in-hvm-n6-on-track

Permabanned
I'd like this to be true but AMD have consistently disappointed in the GPU space for nearly a decade. Over-promising and under-delivering

That was mismanagement by Raja Koduri. R9 Fury X was a good card, the cards before it were good also.

Look at this video. It quite clearly shows how Radeon's image quality is higher than GeForce's image quality.

If you don't appreciate higher image quality, then Radeon is not the product for you, in the first place.

Associate
while their marketing department add insult to injury with ludicrous statements like 'an overclocker's dream' and 'poor Volta' which undermine the glacially slow progress their GPU arm is making. Here's hoping....
I'd be happy if they had crossfire working on the 5700XT, at least that would allow 2080ti performance from an AMD solution but they seem to have stopped supporting Mgpu which I guess makes sense if they struggle to get single GPU drivers working consistently from launch.
my sapphire pulse 5700 xt runs flawlessly on 19.11.3 drivers:p;):o

Associate
I haven't had an AMD card since the 5770 was really close to getting a cheap 2nd hand XT but there's no games out, next game I'm interested in is Doom Eternal and RE3 so I've got a while yet, picked up a 780 Ti classified for £60 for giggles it does okay.. :p I've had cards such as 1080 Ti's and Titan Xp's before but sold them on for not much less than what I paid due to hardly playing games... if they can release a card 25% performance over 5700 xt for £450 I'll bite as that'll be a solid 4k card imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom