How much do you pay for home & contents insurance?

Soldato
£1500 is low for single limit rules these days, I think I only have to specify items over £5k

I think most comparison sites ask for things valued over £1500 to ensure they cover the cheapest insurers, bit like they ask about claims in the last 5 years even though some companies only base it on the last 3 :)

I had to declare anything over £1500 on Compare the Market but when i clicked through to buy only those over around £2500 (i think) were included.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
£1500 is low for single limit rules these days, I think I only have to specify items over £5k
You did say that you pay £1k for home insurance though (what!) :p I am fairly sure that i could individually declare everything we own and not have a premium of £1k.

Don
I think most comparison sites ask for things valued over £1500 to ensure they cover the cheapest insurers, bit like they ask about claims in the last 5 years even though some companies only base it on the last 3 :)

I had to declare anything over £1500 on Compare the Market but when i clicked through to buy only those over around £2500 (i think) were included.

Yes I think that is probably the case

Don
You did say that you pay £1k for home insurance though (what!) :p I am fairly sure that i could individually declare everything we own and not have a premium of £1k.

It's watches and jewellery that push it up plus the fact that I want an easy life and can't be arsed with safes, certifying the alarm etc

Man of Honour
As people have said, the two things that make the biggest difference are:

1) Cover for one of more single items worth more than about £2000.
2) Covering the same for anywhere, not just in the house.

Both of of these can easily double your premium. I think my watch added nearly £90 to the premium. And it barely exceeds that number.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It's watches and jewellery that push it up plus the fact that I want an easy life and can't be arsed with safes, certifying the alarm etc
I know that you do have a nice watch collection (i still use watch doctors on your recommendation around 10-15 years ago!):) I must say though, that even so, that does seem like a very high premium. Even for quite a large house with a fair amount of land and very near water with "high" risk of surface flooding, and with ~£20k valuables declared, quotes are around £250-350 for me.

As mentioned above, though, these numbers are all meaningless really as the products are so unique as is every property.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Just paid 175 for the year 125 compulsory 0 voluntary

3 bikes and engagement ring added
Everything insured outside of the home for loss/damage theft.
New for old
Unlimited rebuild
Accidental on contents and insurance
40k contents

3 bed house in the North east

Back
Top Bottom