*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
ok, so its a generally rubbish box and everyone suffers! wont waste my time phoning them, just keep on resetting....

My main box is on Ethernet and also the mini now.

Caporegime
Has Sky Q started pre-downloading movies?

If I go into Sky Cinema, it seems the movies in the premieres section are, at least partially, pre-downloaded, as they have a play icon on them rather than a download one and start playing immediately if I select them.

There's no sign of them in my downloads so I'm wondering if Sky have started pre-downloading the start of some titles into "hidden" storage, a bit like they used to do with Sky Anytime on the old HD boxes?
Yes some of the major content like Endgame is pre recorded via the satellite connection, not via broadband.

Soldato
Sent to the box via the satellite connection and stored locally on the box.
I don't think that's correct. That's how they used to do it on older boxes and when broadband was slower.

It appears to me it just plays much like Netflix or other streaming services. The Sky app on my tablet does the same with some content. It just plays. Streaming using broadband and not using satellite connection.

Caporegime
I don't think that's correct. That's how they used to do it on older boxes and when broadband was slower.

It appears to me it just plays much like Netflix or other streaming services. The Sky app on my tablet does the same with some content. It just plays. Streaming using broadband and not using satellite connection.
It's still the case that any content sent to the box by Sky is done via the satellite dish.

Content through Sky Go is streamed unless you're watching a recording.

Caporegime
So if I don't have a BB connection it would still stream? I might have to test that out then.
No. Some content is sent to the box by Sky via the dish. Effectively its 'broadcast' on a hidden channel and the box is told to record it. This then means content expected to be very popular can be played immediately, reducing load on the download servers.

The Sky Go app streams live and on demand content via broadband. The only streamed content on a Q box is Netflix.

Soldato
Do the mini-boxes have ethernet ports?

I'm finally getting Sky Q installed in a few weeks and am a bit wary about the Wi-Fi connection between the main box and the mini box so I'm wondering whether I can use homeplugs instead? (I don't have Sky broadband in case that makes any difference!)

Caporegime
Do the mini-boxes have ethernet ports?

I'm finally getting Sky Q installed in a few weeks and am a bit wary about the Wi-Fi connection between the main box and the mini box so I'm wondering whether I can use homeplugs instead? (I don't have Sky broadband in case that makes any difference!)

Yes they have Ethernet ports. The Sky Installers will generally try to use Wi-Fi in the first instance but once setup you can plug the Ethernet cables in.

Does anyone know if the Ethernet port on the back of the sky q booster is active? Would like to use it with a hue hub

Yes it works fine. I have my Son's PC connected to it via Ethernet and it gets an internet connection and is far more stable than standard Wi-Fi he says too.

Soldato
Yes they have Ethernet ports. The Sky Installers will generally try to use Wi-Fi in the first instance but once setup you can plug the Ethernet cables in.

Yes it works fine. I have my Son's PC connected to it via Ethernet and it gets an internet connection and is far more stable than standard Wi-Fi he says too.

Brilliant. Should be picking a starter kit up tomorrow so hopefully all goes well and I don’t have to move the downstairs tv

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I’ll start this post off by saying I know nothing about SkyQ so apologies if this is obvious ;)

My folks recently got SkyQ and are asking me how it works with the streaming services as they are having issues trying to watch anything from All4, they keep getting a message along the lines of they don’t have a subscription for HD downloads.

They say they’ve tried the option to download in SD but it didn’t seem to do anything.

Now I was hoping that All4 on SkyQ would be similar to the app on things like Roku devices which are very straight forward and will just stream what’s picked, but looks like SkyQ doesn’t work with All4 like this? You have to download the stuff you want?

iPlayer seems the same so no worries there.

Is there something obvious they aren’t doing with All4, do you need certain Sky subscriptions to enable it?

They also said they ‘can’t download stuff from the Sky channels either’, is that something they should be able to do?

Thanks!

Caporegime
I’ll start this post off by saying I know nothing about SkyQ so apologies if this is obvious ;)

My folks recently got SkyQ and are asking me how it works with the streaming services as they are having issues trying to watch anything from All4, they keep getting a message along the lines of they don’t have a subscription for HD downloads.

They say they’ve tried the option to download in SD but it didn’t seem to do anything.

Now I was hoping that All4 on SkyQ would be similar to the app on things like Roku devices which are very straight forward and will just stream what’s picked, but looks like SkyQ doesn’t work with All4 like this? You have to download the stuff you want?

iPlayer seems the same so no worries there.

Is there something obvious they aren’t doing with All4, do you need certain Sky subscriptions to enable it?

They also said they ‘can’t download stuff from the Sky channels either’, is that something they should be able to do?

Thanks!

Do they have the HD channels sub? they'll need that to download in HD. They should however, be able to download in SD.

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Good question, I’ll find out ;)

Does the SkyQ sub come with HD channels?

Or could it be different as they have only just had their box upgraded to SkyQ following a house move, so could they still be on a non SkyQ plan?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
My assumption is they have the most basic package available with no extras :)

Will see if I can get what package they have out of them, if they even know ;)

With the All4 thing is there a way to set it to use SD by default as when I had a very quick look at it the other week it seemed to want to use HD every time, and gives me the message that the required subscription wasn’t there for that option.

Back
Top Bottom