What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Apollo 13. Really enjoyed it .

Kind of puts it all into perspective really.

Mankind vs adversity. Just like. Sort it out.

Magnificent achievement.

And it made me cry. A bit.

Great film. It's rather strange to think that 25 years have passed since it was released, and it was 25 years prior to then that the actual mission took place.

Man of Honour
The Gentlemen
8/10
I really enjoyed it. It was in the same mpuld as Lock Stock and Snatch. Not quite on a par with them but still an entertaining film and worth the watch.

Soldato
Shazam 8/10 made me and the wife laugh a lot. The action parts could have been better not best in class but the characterisation and comedy were great. Hands down the best DC offering since The Dark Knight.

Associate
The Irishman - there isn't a lot I can say that hasn't already been said. I enjoyed the film quite a lot - all 3 and a half hours of it :o and Mrs Alz stayed awake all the way through which says something. It's sad in a way to see how old some of these iconic actors have got and I guess that's part of the films purpose. Gives them a platform to show off the skills that made them a staple of the genre "back in the day" potentially one last time and hopefully will bring some of the old classics to a new and younger audience. Overall if I had to give it a number it would be a 7/10

Soldato
Watched two movies recently.

John Wick 2. - 4/10

John Wick 3. - 3/10

I gave the first John Wick movie 6/10 because it was different and it was good to see Keanu back in a fighting movie, but, the movie sucked really. The second and third installment do nothing to improve matters.

How are these movies getting any sort of good rating? The acting is terrible and the story line is worse than the acting. I am giving them both 3 purely because some of the fight scenes are pretty good, but most carry on too long and it's completely obvious that they are choreographed to the last, especially the scenes with Halle Barry in John Wick 3.

Soldato
Gemini Man - 6/10.

Some great fight/action scenes (motorbike chase) and they actually made the female companion bad ass instead of the hero saving her all the time. Clive Owen was wasted and was looking very old!

The clone effects when in a dark setting were excellent, but once out in daylight were not good at all, especially the end when in the college grounds - think Princess Leia Rogue One but worse.

Caporegime
I've watched a few things this week. But the one that stands out is;

Marriage Story

8/10.

Solid performances all round. I think with this, is it hugely pulls on your emotions. I was soo angry watching this, sad and anxious about the whole thing. Possibly because I went through similar to what the kid did (altough, not as happy an ending) it made me think about it all as an adult.

It reminds me of Blue Valentine a lot (but no where near as dark), which I now need to re-watch.

Though no matter how good Adam Driver was in it, he just seems as though he's been the same character since Girls and it's getting a bit boring now.

On that Uncut Gems with Adam Sandler, was fantastic! Who knew Adam Sandler could try and not try to be funny! 7/10

Soldato
Watched two movies recently.

John Wick 2. - 4/10

John Wick 3. - 3/10

I gave the first John Wick movie 6/10 because it was different and it was good to see Keanu back in a fighting movie, but, the movie sucked really. The second and third installment do nothing to improve matters.

How are these movies getting any sort of good rating? The acting is terrible and the story line is worse than the acting. I am giving them both 3 purely because some of the fight scenes are pretty good, but most carry on too long and it's completely obvious that they are choreographed to the last, especially the scenes with Halle Barry in John Wick 3.

That's films/movies for you; one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Wasn't too keen on JW2, but I enjoyed 3. First was the best in my opinion.

I have no idea why Fast and Furious series get good ratings from people. To me, they are beyond stupid and cringe worthy; but I suppose there are various reasons why one silly film is liked by any one person, and another silly film disliked.

Fast and Furious is to me, what John Wick is to you; but you may also dislike Fast and Furious. I think you can see what I'm getting at though. :)

Associate
The Gentlemen (2020) - 6/10

A more mature gangster movie that glorifies the gangster life without glorifying the violence, which means there’s a lot of talking, but not much else.

Solid performances from the entire cast, but the story wasn’t that engaging and the twists weren’t that surprising.

Good use of humour and style, but the lead up to and inclusion of the 4th wall cameo felt unnecessary.

Associate
11 is a great doc, amazing to see that footage cleaned up on the big screen.

I pre-ordered Apollo 11 4k and it just sat unopened. The reviews weren't great (they messed up the 4k transfer big time) so I sent it back.

After watching it for £1.99 on Amazon last week, I'm glad I did. It's OK and some of the footage was worthy of a 4k release but it wasn't worth investing in.

It was that led me onto re-watching Apollo 13 again. That was worth it (it's currently free on Prime)

(now re-reading The Right Stuff - Tom Wolfe before re - watching the film - again)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Pacific Rim: Uprising

Look, I know Pacific Rim and this sequel are not high cinema and their plots are paper thin but I really don't care. Embrace your inner child and enjoy the ride, and boy what a ride.

9/10 if like me you were sold on the first movie on the premise of Giant Robots punching Giant Monsters in the face alone, probably a solid 8/10 otherwise, as it's still a cracking blockbuster action movie the like of which Michael Bay can only dream of being good enough to make.

Man of Honour
The Untouchables

This is a terrible film. I didn’t like it the first time I saw it and I couldn’t finish it this time. There is absolutely no reason to root for Costner. His family are so ‘token’ and devoid of personality it’s not true. He’s devoid of any charisma.

I have absolutely no idea how or why he bonds with Connery. Their encounter makes no sense. Connery gives no reason for Costner to admire him. Connery magically finds a secret distribution centre just ‘because’.

And Connery is supposed to be IRISH!!! What!!!

Di Nero at his most meh.

Really not very good and laughable compared to other gangster films.

2/10

Back
Top Bottom