Engine remapping

Associate
Hi, I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I’ve recently bought a 6 series 6.40d 2012. I had the car stage 2 remapped. It’s now around the 407 bhp. I’ve noticed a big difference in power, fuel consumption not great but ok. What I’ve noticed is there seems to be a diesel/fuel smell in the car now. With the vents closed not so much but with the vents open I can smell it. It’s a slight smell but never the less it’s noticeable. Should I have any concerns?

Caporegime
Had a strong smell of diesel in my truck recently, mentioned it to Scania when it went in for its inspection and they said a fuel return pipe had split and was spraying diesel over the engine.

Ultimately, let somebody who knows one end of a car from the other have a look. :)

Soldato
as our trucky friend says, get it checked out, and anything with a fuel smell get it checked out doubly quick. it wont be in anyway related to the map unless they physically removed the ecu to tune it (not sure if a bmw that age would be a obd only map or not) and maybe disturbed somethign in the process, but the actual mapping wouldnt cause it

Soldato
The N57 is undergoing a recall for the EGR valve across a wide range of model years, I'd expect yours is likely about to be recalled for exactly that if it's not already underway.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/footer/quick-links/bmw-vehicle-recalls.html

If it's not already showing a recall it'd be worth taking it into BMW anyways. If it is the EGR they'll replace it under goodwill, you'll have to pay the initial diagnostic charge of £99 but it'll be refunded if it's part of the recall

Back
Top Bottom