Am I mental? Polo 9n3 2009 - Audi S3 8P 2007

Soldato
Okay here's the situation. I have had my Polo 2009 plate since i passed 4 1/2 years ago. Done 60k miles in it and spend essentially nothing on it (Done my own servicing and spent £100 to get it through the last MOT). Plus wear and tear tyres break pads etc.

It's now on 130k however shows no signs of giving up. No clutch slip weird noises etc.

However i now am in a position to insure something far quicker and "Nicer" for around £1k which makes it possible.

However this would mean going from a car i know well to a car which i have no idea about and pay £7k for the privilege. (Plus insurance which will cost £800) (I'll get £200 back from my current insurance which has 6 months to run and it'll cost me another £1k to insure the S3)

The S3 i'm looking at has 71k miles on the clock and recently has had the cambelt and water pump replaced it has 10 months MOT remaining.

Am i mental to go from my car to a 2 year older however more "premium" and "faster" unknown car?

I have the money to buy the new car outright (I wouldn't dream of financing something that old.

Are there any pitfalls to watch out for on these cars? I'm aware i'd want to have haldex serviced often (20k miles or so?) and the cam follower does need replacing somewhat often to save the engine from cam failure.

This forum has saved me before from going from my polo (When i first got it) to a A3 1.6TDI so maybe it can do the same again

Associate
I have a 2011 S3 and I love it, had it since it was 18 months old and spent probably far too much on it :)

Servicing is key, DSG (if it has it) and haldex - DO NOT scrimp on either of these and make sure the service book shows it.

Cam belt should also be changed every 5 years (I think!!) off the top of my head or 'X' amount of miles, which escapes me as I don't do many myself. I get my cam follower changed every year, just out of peace of mind - they generally aren't in too bad of a condition.

These S3's are not particularly quick as standard, have you thought about a mk2 leon cupra?

If you plan to remap and go bigger power (stage 2+ gets you about 370bhp) then go for the DSG as that deals with the power better.

With a car that old, it's a bit of a gamble whether you may well be walking into big bills......

Man of Honour
These seem like an awful purchase at this point in their lives. Tired and dated inside and out, expensive to run and without any sort of special status to justify it.

Soldato
OP
This one had the belt done a couple of years ago. So should be good for another 3.

It's a manual didn't want the risk of the DSG going wrong and chucking massive bills up.

I have a 2011 S3 and I love it, had it since it was 18 months old and spent probably far too much on it :)

Servicing is key, DSG (if it has it) and haldex - DO NOT scrimp on either of these and make sure the service book shows it.

Cam belt should also be changed every 5 years (I think!!) off the top of my head or 'X' amount of miles, which escapes me as I don't do many myself. I get my cam follower changed every year, just out of peace of mind - they generally aren't in too bad of a condition.

These S3's are not particularly quick as standard, have you thought about a mk2 leon cupra?

If you plan to remap and go bigger power (stage 2+ gets you about 370bhp) then go for the DSG as that deals with the power better.

With a car that old, it's a bit of a gamble whether you may well be walking into big bills......

Have you had any unexpected bills other than servicing on yours at all?

Don
Am i mental

Yes :D

There is nothing premium about a 13 year old A3.
Especially premium will be the lack of Bluetooth, usb audio, dab radio etc etc, things that probably even your polo has

It'll go fast in a straight line, but is otherwise underwhelming to drive.

Keep the polo for another couple of years, save more money and then buy something actually nice.

Soldato
I'd personally be looking at something a lot more modern.
Having regretfully wasted money on crap cars when I could have been saving towards something better, do not even bother. Keep the Polo and get something decent down the line.

Soldato
I personally think these have fallen into an age and purchase price bracket where I'd run a mile from anything other than a car I knew well. If it's a car you really want/always have wanted and are capable of working on it yourself then maybe it works.

It's going to need constant niggling maintenance items carried out, or soon will (simply down to the age), servicing from either Audi or a good indy won't be cheap, the haldex needs maintained and you've no idea what else is lurking round the corner with it.

Couple all the above with the fact that they're quick but not "impressively" so as standard and feel a bit numb to drive. It just doesn't do it for me.

The above echoes my overall stance, either get to a point where you can buy a relatively new, quick car (say 5/6 years old) or keep what you have. If you must change go for something less "Premium"

Last edited:
Associate
I would much rather a TT than an S3.

I considered older S3 in the past but always felt it was too much risk for not enough reward.

I've bought all my cars at around 10 years old and sub 10k
If you get a good one then your getting the best value for money vs depreciation.

Back
Top Bottom