Are curved monitors a fad?

Associate
The volume of a screen doesn't change with a curve though...

It does still massively effect the volume of the way it fits in a square/rectangular room does though, and on a rectangular right angled desk.

90% of rooms have straight lines and right angles. A curved object uses less efficient use of space, it's just a simple and undeniable fact.

A curved object creates two giant wedges of unused space against a flat wall or parallel to a flat wall in a room.

Like I said I said in my very first post, a curved room makes for more efficient use of a curved screen, a flat wall in a right angled room with a curved object is less efficient use of space. Elementary geometry.

If it helps you figure it out, those kids toys with squares and circles that you fit in shapes clearly help demonstrate this concept.

Another simple way of looking at it is could you fit more Pringles in a can if they were flat or curved as they are?

The answer is of course you could fit more flat ones in there. Curves create negative space that can't fill be filled in conventional spaces that use straight lines and right angles.

That should be a simple way of understanding curved geometry.

No one is criticising your screens or your choice to get them, just pointing out some basic geometry.

A curved monitor is about triple the depth of a flat screen viewed side on, and it intrudes into triple that space. it's just a simple geometrical fact.

Soldato
It does still massively effect the volume of the way it fits in a square/rectangular room does though, and on a rectangular right angled desk.

90% of rooms have straight lines and right angles. A curved object uses less efficient use of space, it's just a simple and undeniable fact.

A curved object creates two giant wedges of unused space against a flat wall or parallel to a flat wall in a room.

Like I said I said in my very first post, a curved room makes for more efficient use of a curved screen, a flat wall in a right angled room with a curved object is less efficient use of space. Elementary geometry.

If it helps you figure it out, those kids toys with squares and circles that you fit in shapes clearly help demonstrate this concept.

Another simple way of looking at it is could you fit more Pringles in a can if they were flat or curved as they are?

The answer is of course you could fit more flat ones in there. Curves create negative space that can't fill be filled in conventional spaces that use straight lines and right angles.

That should be a simple way of understanding curved geometry.

No one is criticising your screens or your choice to get them, just pointing out some basic geometry.

A curved monitor is about triple the depth of a flat screen viewed side on, and it intrudes into triple that space. it's just a simple geometrical fact.
Unless you've got a Pringle for a monitor, there's barely any difference. I've got 2 curved monitors, and they take up the same amount of space as if they were flat, in a practical manner. As the base is by far the thing with the largest footprint.

My main point was that a curved monitor takes up less horizontal space than a flat monitor of the same size.

Associate
I had always used flat monitors for 20 years, got a curved ultrawide this year and have nothing against it, but I cant say it really adds anything to the experience with it`s 1800R

Associate
Curved is good for gaming, but for productivity not so much.

It's not a fad for it's intended purpose, it works really well for gaming. You could always have a secondary flat monitor for productivity and curved just for gaming.

Associate
Just got me for xmas a non curved ultrawide 34inch monitor, I must say that I would have prefered if it was curved to be honest but for the price it was a no brainer and wasn't sure if I would like ultrawide much.

At work I use 2x 24 inch monitors but have them in an angle both of them, so going back home feels a bit weird. I will get used to it though.

I would concider this a fad on huge tvs on a living room, but not on a monitor on a desk.

Soldato
I have a 34" UW curved at home and a 29" flat at work. The 29" probably because it's a 2560x1080 monitor always feels just a tad too short compared to the width making the centre appear slightly convex. Never felt that with the 3440x1440 UW.

Associate
Unless you've got a Pringle for a monitor, there's barely any difference. I've got 2 curved monitors, and they take up the same amount of space as if they were flat, in a practical manner. As the base is by far the thing with the largest footprint.

My main point was that a curved monitor takes up less horizontal space than a flat monitor of the same size.

Good to see you make a point rather than just quoting my posts with one line replies, I don't mind people disagreeing if they provide some context.

Of course a curve uses slightly less horizontal space to account much for greater proportional depth the curve produces, but less horizontal space is another negative and less good for productivity for me.

That's also fine for your situation that uses bases, and to be fair you do make a good point, if not wall mounted, bases can be taken into account for total monitor depth. I use a vesa mount and have totally free desk space, so a curved monitor intrudes into that space for me, I also use mine for productivity so curved isn't as good for my personal use.

If it works for you, all good, if you already have space for 2 x 38" monitors the curves are less of an issue.

Back
Top Bottom