BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
I wonder why so many people on this forum live in FTTP areas. It's weird given the overall maps show FTTP availability being extremely patchy at best.

Soldato
I'm very surprised that FTTP will apparently be available here soon as it's a small town (population about 6000) and the vast majority of the town is residential. There is some commercial and light industrial premises but not much.

Also, FTTC is available all through the town so I would have thought that rolling out FTTP here would be very low on the list for Openreach. I'm not complaining of course and once FTTP is available to order I'll be getting my order in.

Associate
I've been doing some checks on houses I might move to.
One of them is listed on the BT postcode checker as 'FTTP available - 1 stage install'
Does anyone know what this means in practice, particularly the 1 stage install bit?
It is in a rural location/hamlet & I don't think it will have FTTC - It's going to be either FTTP or ropey ADSL which I can't live with.

Soldato
I wonder why so many people on this forum live in FTTP areas. It's weird given the overall maps show FTTP availability being extremely patchy at best.

The maps/rollout plans are not uptodate, none of the towns near me are on them but are in the middle of a rollout just now and the install is moving rapidly I can order it now and they only started at the end of October they were working on it on the weekend between Christmas and New Year !

I was surprised as we have only had FTTC for 4-5 years and now they are installing FTTP.

Soldato
It looks like TalkTalk is the best option for 150MB, unless I'm missing any other options? Is there anyway to order by the website to get cashback via Topcashback?

I currently have an Openreach modem for my 80/20 package from Plus.net will this just be replaced with a g.fast version by an openreach engineer?
I'm also currently using an ASUS RT-AC66U router will this continue to work ok or should I be looking for an upgrade?

Yes, you'll be given an Openreach modem.

Yes, it will work as it does now.

Thanks just went ahead and ordered the 150MB package from TalkTalk with the same unlimited call package as I had from plusnet. Saving myself £10.00 a month and getting almost double the speed! I may even look at the 300MB service in a few months which would take me backup to what I'm currently paying plusnet.

Soldato
Does anyone know when we're going to see more competition in the FTTP sector? Currently the only option I really have are BT and while I haven't had any issues performance/reliability wise, it would be good to not be bound to one provider. My contract with BT is up this month and I don't want to sign up to a new 24 month contract just to save a tenner a month if there are other options on the horizon.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I take it FTTP won't come to my area if Virgin already on the street ?

5 years ago I ran BT broadband checker and it said 38mbps and it still says the same....

Soldato
Getting my FTTP service installed on Monday. 300mb upgrading from 15mb!

Funny I've been in this house for 5 years and been stuck on ADSL2+ and BT finally decide to upgrade our network to FTTP.

Virgin Media got wind of this and installed their service as the same time. There's about 500-1000 homes on this estate so it's crazy one of them haven't installed sooner.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Getting my FTTP service installed on Monday. 300mb upgrading from 15mb!

Funny I've been in this house for 5 years and been stuck on ADSL2+ and BT finally decide to upgrade our network to FTTP.

Virgin Media got wind of this and installed their service as the same time. There's about 500-1000 homes on this estate so it's crazy one of them haven't installed sooner.

From 15mb to 300mb you won't ever be able to look back, congrats really.

Caporegime
Few months a go they were installing the fibre boxes onto the telephone poll across the road, now it's available to order on the BT website. :)

The only annoyance I see is that BT only do 24 month contracts now?

Caporegime
Oh I just noticed the new plans and possibly new pricing on 23rd March. My current broadband expires 29th March so I'll wait until then to order I think.

Soldato
I'm still waiting for the Greater Manchester Authority to announce their contract so we can push forward with some FTTP in the Greater Manchester area. I've heard some kind of announcement might be made in or around March.

Soldato
Oh I just noticed the new plans and possibly new pricing on 23rd March. My current broadband expires 29th March so I'll wait until then to order I think.

Just because a product experiences a wholesale price change or a different data plan is offered as of a set date, unfortunately doesn’t mean that it will be rolled out by resellers anywhere near that date, historically the pace of change from openreach resellers is relatively slow. Also when it is, I’ve yet to find a provider who wouldn’t let me move up a tier in speed terms as long as I agreed a new contract.

Back
Top Bottom