Caporegime
OP
What's the endgame here, Evangelion? When does this stop? NZ news is basically re-reporting Aussie news and they have their hands full too.

It ends when it ends, there's no time frame in sight because the biggest fires are simply too big to stop. We're only at the start of summer, so the weather will get even worse before it gets better.

This is the situation on Kangaroo Island here in South Australia:

r0-11-984-564-w1200-h678-fmax.jpg

As you can see, roughly 30% of the island is on fire.

'Kangaroo Island fires continue as locals count cost of damage to infrastructure, animals.'

About 170,000 hectares, or a third of the island, has burned so far.

Two men — Dick Lang and his son Clayton Lang — died on the Playford Highway on Friday.

The fires started on Kangaroo Island on December 20 but they spread rapidly on Friday when the temperature in Parndana topped 39 degrees Celsius and winds reached up to 80 kilometres per hour.

Caporegime
It ends when it ends, there's no time frame in sight because the biggest fires are simply too big to stop. We're only at the start of summer, so the weather will get even worse before it gets better.
The Government have no considered response as to when this will stop or what they're doing to stop it? What info is being shared with you, as a potentially affected person?

Soldato

This is the situation on Kangaroo Island here in South Australia:

*snip*

As you can see, roughly 30% of the island is on fire.

'Kangaroo Island fires continue as locals count cost of damage to infrastructure, animals.'

How common is sustained rainfall at this time of year, Evangelion? Is there much chance of a day or two of rain?

Caporegime
OP
The Government have no considered response as to when this will stop

Not really. Even though these fires have been burning since August, it's still too early to say when they can be brought under control.

or what they're doing to stop it?

The government's current plan is 'Just keep doing what we're doing, while spending as little as possible on it.' Which is not surprising, since the current administration is a conservative one with deep ties to the fossil fuel industry.

What info is being shared with you, as a potentially affected person?

Heaps. I have can get all the info I need from the CFS website: https://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/home.jsp

How common is sustained rainfall at this time of year, Evangelion?

Incredibly rare.

Is there much chance of a day or two of rain?

A little. We've already had some, but it wasn't enough to have a significant impact. Some rain is predicted for Gippsland, but they're not expecting more than 15mm or so. It should help to cool the area and put some moisture back in the air, but it's not going to put out any fires.

Man of Honour
No filters, no messing around with apps. This is Auckland, right now, and I've never seen this before.

I've seen it before and it was dramatic enough when the effect of smoke from fires from Portugal reached the UK never mind what you are having.

I was being sarcastic.

Not much you can do with these fires (once they've taken hold) - way too much potential for them to leap ahead of any fire break and conditions like they are make controlled burns extremely risky.

Last edited:
Soldato
49331792691_85055694d7_b_d.jpg

It's been so eerie today in Auckland, it's difficult to explain, the light is uncomfortable on my eyes, it's like an unnatural bright orange glow, i've never experienced anything like it!

Man of Honour
It's been so eerie today in Auckland, it's difficult to explain, the light is uncomfortable on my eyes, it's like an unnatural bright orange glow, i've never experienced anything like it!

While not as dramatic as that we had it with storm Ophelia in the UK when it dragged up Saharan dust and forest fires from Portugal - it is very eerie.

Soldato
I've seen it before and it was dramatic enough when the effect of smoke from fires from Portugal reached the UK never mind what you are having.

Not much you can do with these fires (once they've taken hold) - way too much potential for them to leap ahead of any fire break and conditions like they are make controlled burns extremely risky.

This is what I have been saying yet I'm being called an idiot by people like mangolia. People blaming their PM as if something he can do about it.

Man of Honour
This is what I have been saying yet I'm being called an idiot by people like mangolia. People blaming their PM as if something he can do about it.

I assumed the anger was that little was done to prevent the fires taking hold in the first place and that communities have all but been abandoned without even any real attempt to save them.

Caporegime
OP

Absolute nonsense. He can do something about it, he's repeatedly been asked to do something about it, and he's repeatedly refused. Now at long last he's throwing out a few bones for good optics, but it's too little too late.

Your refusal to address the facts is utterly obscene. I'm sitting here watching my country burn to the ground, and you're pretending the PM can't do anything about it.

I assumed the anger was that little was done to prevent the fires taking hold in the first place

The anger is primarily about lack of resources for firefighting services, and the government's consistent refusal to address climate change, which has enabled these fires to start earlier and burn more furiously than ever before.

and that communities have all but been abandoned without even any real attempt to save them.

I can assure you that every community that was capable of being saved was saved, and in the case of the communities that were lost, everything that could be done was done. Our firies always defend towns as vigorously as possible, and only leave when they can do no more.

Man of Honour
I can assure you that every community that was capable of being saved was saved, and in the case of the communities that were lost, everything that could be done was done. Our firies always defend towns as vigorously as possible, and only leave when they can do no more.

I was meaning in terms of additional support/capibilities - not by the fire services on the ground.

Absolute nonsense. He can do something about it, he's repeatedly been asked to do something about it, and he's repeatedly refused. Now at long last he's throwing out a few bones for good optics, but it's too little too late.

It is a bit contradictory in a way but not much can really be done with the scale of these fires now it has been left so late - a huge air operation could only save a few strategic targets unlike say California where the fronts tended to be narrower so they could damp entire valleys, etc. (Australian fires are now bigger than the Californian and Amazon ones combined!).

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
What's the likelihood of people's insurance paying out for all of this damage? Do you think they'd go all American and try to weasel out of it?

Soldato
Could sea water be used to create a break in the fire in places? I know salt is not good for the ground but maybe worth it in some of these cases? Lesser of evils etc?

Or is it all just too massive now? With no gaurentee that other fires might not start on the other sides?

Awful.

Back
Top Bottom