Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
Traffic management and their network not being able to cope during peak hours are two different things with similar results to the end user.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Traffic management and their network not being able to cope during peak hours are two different things with similar results to the end user.

So they do still reduce speeds during peak times if your area or road is having heavy usage ?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
No. However if their network can't handle all of the traffic some customers then some will experience slowdown.

ok thanks that is good to know, I did speak to tech support earlier and they claim virgin media are doing an upgrade on there network so VM customers will experience utilization problems with broadband and its expected to be fixed 22nd jan. But if this is true or just for my area who knows.

Man of Honour
Haha, that date will just keep being pushed to the right. If you complain enough you'll get money off your bill until it is actually fixed.

Soldato
You will find this can be had cheaper if you call up and threaten to cancel. Im paying £35.50 for 200mb BB and if you scroll through the thread you will find some people are paying a bit more or a bit less than this.
Welcome to haggle for your service

This.

I'm paying a lot less than you for 200Mb + phone but had to threaten to leave (which I would have, and no doubt will, at some time in the future).

I dread the annual haggle saga.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Haha, that date will just keep being pushed to the right. If you complain enough you'll get money off your bill until it is actually fixed.

Tried a 'second' call but to cs department, they too confirmed the on going network upgrade work and apologised for the disruption but yeah can never believe anyone what really is going on !

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Hi all, quick sidestep from the discussion. Is the current Hub 3 firmware v. 9.1.1802.613? I’m guessing the update packages are pushed remotely by VM anyway.

Yup that is the latest firmware, although I believe that was rolled out ages ago and no update since then.

According to talk around the net no amount of firmware patches will fix the faulty hub 3.0 though, just work workaround's to the faults.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
After 3 years of solid service I'm experiencing packet loss and speeds down to 3MB/s. I've called twice but no engineer visit yet.

Welcome to my world or misery, have been reporting the same issues of being limited to 1-3mbps past 2 weeks but in my case all the issues started from going from a working hub 2.0 to 2 faulty hub 3.0s but even with the 3rd its still a bit hit and miss with certain VPNs.

VM did tell me they are in the process of doing a network upgrade (seems started before xmas) and will be complete by 22nd jan and this was the reason I was getting that drop to 3mbps but its hard to be 100% sure, id recommend ignoring the VM website test, either chat to them via 150, tech support team or cs team or asking on the VM forums under section speed and post there asking if a staff can check your line since I got a better answer and also a logged fault number reference.

if you don't mind me posted if any updates? I was told I have high utilization fault due to the network upgrades and its normal...

Soldato
Welcome to my world or misery, have been reporting the same issues of being limited to 1-3mbps past 2 weeks but in my case all the issues started from going from a working hub 2.0 to 2 faulty hub 3.0s but even with the 3rd its still a bit hit and miss with certain VPNs.

VM did tell me they are in the process of doing a network upgrade (seems started before xmas) and will be complete by 22nd jan and this was the reason I was getting that drop to 3mbps but its hard to be 100% sure, id recommend ignoring the VM website test, either chat to them via 150, tech support team or cs team or asking on the VM forums under section speed and post there asking if a staff can check your line since I got a better answer and also a logged fault number reference.

if you don't mind me posted if any updates? I was told I have high utilization fault due to the network upgrades and its normal...

As has already been pointed out in the thread where you suggested VM were throttling you at 90% of your package speed, it’s simply not the case. Protocol used (TCP vs UDP), encryption cypher strength, routing/peering to the VPN provider, the load on the chosen node, the routing/peering to the end destination and its reverse route back to you, plus the variability of the P2P network and Linux ISO you referenced are all variables, most of which are nothing to do with VM, and that’s before we get to your local network. Your issue is not relevant to people with actual network capacity issues.

VM have a code freeze policy in Dec/Jan, this is in part to reduce the risk of pushing updates that break things (people watch more TV/hammer the internet over Christmas) and in part to keep faults calls low to allow for holidays. It’s similar on the network side, node capacity upgrades are unlikely a few weeks either side of Christmas/New Year for the same reason. How long capacity takes to be added is very much a local issue, but if networks provide a date, then it’s planned in and should be done around that date. I remember being sent to Birmingham to establish why the home town of the department that supposedly dealt with failed installs nationally on the day had such high failure rates and was awful to get install availability in. I’d worked it out by the time I got to the main gate at lunch time and could see the large car park full of unused install vans. Still, at least the hotel was nice :D

After 3 years of solid service I'm experiencing packet loss and speeds down to 3MB/s. I've called twice but no engineer visit yet.

If they resolved it over the phone each time, or it was a network capacity issue with a planned upgrade then it wouldn’t need a tech.

Associate
What are the chances of VM coming out (due to a fault) and redoing the cabling in my house if it’s an awkward route? It’s nearly 20 years the original cabling and it comes up the drive and then up and over the roof dropping down into the garden / back if the house but this is the only way to get the cable into the part of the house with the network/TV etc...

Soldato
What are the chances of VM coming out (due to a fault) and redoing the cabling in my house if it’s an awkward route? It’s nearly 20 years the original cabling and it comes up the drive and then up and over the roof dropping down into the garden / back if the house but this is the only way to get the cable into the part of the house with the network/TV etc...

Zero, unless its required to resolve the fault.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
As has already been pointed out in the thread where you suggested VM were throttling you at 90% of your package speed, it’s simply not the case. Protocol used (TCP vs UDP), encryption cypher strength, routing/peering to the VPN provider, the load on the chosen node, the routing/peering to the end destination and its reverse route back to you, plus the variability of the P2P network and Linux ISO you referenced are all variables, most of which are nothing to do with VM, and that’s before we get to your local network. Your issue is not relevant to people with actual network capacity issues.

VM have a code freeze policy in Dec/Jan, this is in part to reduce the risk of pushing updates that break things (people watch more TV/hammer the internet over Christmas) and in part to keep faults calls low to allow for holidays. It’s similar on the network side, node capacity upgrades are unlikely a few weeks either side of Christmas/New Year for the same reason. How long capacity takes to be added is very much a local issue, but if networks provide a date, then it’s planned in and should be done around that date. I remember being sent to Birmingham to establish why the home town of the department that supposedly dealt with failed installs nationally on the day had such high failure rates and was awful to get install availability in. I’d worked it out by the time I got to the main gate at lunch time and could see the large car park full of unused install vans. Still, at least the hotel was nice :D

That is my main concern you say they have a code freeze policy for dec/jan but 2 VM staff members confirmed to me they are doing a major network upgrade in my area and it won't be done till end of jan and they started it during the Xmas holiday peak.

Also my VPN issues, yes I understand their is so much variation, but the issues are still there even without the vpn or torrenting, but torrenting and certain vpns almost triggers the performance drop oddly. Still one VPN provider works much better across the day and I max out the line off peak, so you could be very right and its some issue my side or VM really does have a utilization fault in my area.

Finding the needle in the haystack is a challenge but will keep trying, maybe VM are telling the truth and it all gets fixed in 2 weeks time :)

Back
Top Bottom