Upgrading a Pre-Built PC help!!!

Associate
Hey Overclockers!

Just wanting some sound advice if possible.

I want to upgrade my PC on a budget of around $200.

I have a Dell Optiplex 755 and also a Dell Optiplex 760.

It would mainly be for basic/intermediate editing videos, microsoft word, browsing the net and editing photos.

I understand the budget is low, if not too low but it is my first build and i want to slowly get into it, later investing into a powerful system.

I have a 1 week work holiday and looking to set this up this week (amazon prime next day delivery) will be used.

I hope i can get some assistance.

Thanks in advance!

Associate
Pre-built systems are complicated to upgrade, unless some system which uses readily available parts, as if hand picked by computer shops, such as the systems sold by Overclockers or similar.
Main issue is the PSU. 99% of the time, barely enough for the actual system.
The only upgrades safely doable are (please check for supported capacity) RAM and replace the HDD for a SSD.

Associate
OP
Pre-built systems are complicated to upgrade, unless some system which uses readily available parts, as if hand picked by computer shops, such as the systems sold by Overclockers or similar.
Main issue is the PSU. 99% of the time, barely enough for the actual system.
The only upgrades safely doable are (please check for supported capacity) RAM and replace the HDD for a SSD.
Thanks for your kind advice, does that mean i will not be able to change the motherboaed either?

Associate
I would look to try and source a 2nd hand optiplex 3020 or newer, the 755 will be a core2duo or core2quad so it should offer a decent performance bump without breaking the bank. You can easily install win10 via an image from dell, on them. Putting in an ssd will also boost performance.

Associate
You would probably be better off selling both those Pc's and building one like this https://youtu.be/Ye3G1mlJBrM

for approximately $370 suggested in Gamers Nexus which also gives you a clear upgrade path.

Dell would probably use a proprietary motherboard and even PSU making an upgrade difficult to impossible.

Back
Top Bottom