• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are the RX5700 XT drivers stable now?

Permabanned
Hey guys,

just booted on my PC 10 mins ago, soon as I started playing some music through YouTube, my screen went black for about 2-3 seconds and then back on, not a crash buy WTF?

Anyone else experience this. Working great otherwise!

It could be the hardware acceleration kicking in, try with your browser settings.

HA.png

Soldato
Are you running MSI AB? Sometimes that can cause issues. Also try DDU to remove everything and reinstall driver.

Yes, I have it on the background atm mate. When I installed this GPU I used DDU and done a complete reinstall.

It could be the hardware acceleration kicking in, try with your browser settings.

HA.png

Just checked on Chrome, and I have the top two (running background apps, and hardware acceleration) both enabled. Is this how it should be, or should I disable?

Cheers.

Soldato
Yes, I have it on the background atm mate. When I installed this GPU I used DDU and done a complete reinstall.

Just checked on Chrome, and I have the top two (running background apps, and hardware acceleration) both enabled. Is this how it should be, or should I disable?

Cheers.

If you suspect its chrome then try Firefox. Also try closing MSI AB to rule that out.

EDIT: Someone had a blackscreen problem and appears to have tracked it down to the HDMI cable. If your monitor has DP then try using that.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33266035

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey guys,

just booted on my PC 10 mins ago, soon as I started playing some music through YouTube, my screen went black for about 2-3 seconds and then back on, not a crash buy WTF?

Anyone else experience this. Working great otherwise!

Turn off hardware acceleration in your browser.

Soldato
Soldato
Im using a high quality DP cable for my connection mate, not a HDMI.

Done.

I used to work for a company that sometimes had to test HDMI cables for radiated emissions and shielding and we tested a quad shielded cable worth about £100 but it failed for EMI and various other compliance tests. Even if it looks shiny and gold plated,etc it does not mean it is a good cable. Sometimes a cheap bog standard cable may perform better hence why I say test with another cable.

A DP 1.4 cable supports resolutions upto 8K: 60Hz + HDR so should work better if there are any issues with how the gpu communicates with the monitor. I know some cables can lose connection when the signal quality deteriorates due to interference (EMI), etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to work for a company that sometimes had to test HDMI cables for radiated emissions and shielding and we tested a quad shielded cable worth about £100 but it failed for EMI and various other compliance tests. Even if it looks shiny and gold plated,etc it does not mean it is a good cable. Sometimes a cheap bog standard cable may perform better hence why I say test with another cable.

A DP 1.4 cable supports resolutions upto 8K: 60Hz + HDR so should work better if there are any issues with how the gpu communicates with the monitor. I know some cables can lose connection when the signal quality deteriorates due to interference (EMI), etc.

I used the same setup as with my RTX 2080ti so surely I would have had issues there, if it was more than just the GPU?

Soldato
Some indifferent news guys..

Few issues with black screening, and the odd artifacting when loading MW also some screen flickering..:(

Returning GPU to OCUK and going back to Nvidia.

Shout out to the staff at OC, very helpful and informative as always!

Soldato

I've had issues with DP cables in the past i.e. black screening, lack of Freesync etc. The cheap ones on fleabay are basically worthless VESA maintains a list of cables it's certified
they tend to cost more and are not often easy to find but after I got an Accell one the problems stopped.

Associate
was running 19.12.1 last night and while its stable think i prefer 19.11.1

but my cpu is bottlenecking in battlefield and the division

Associate
Thats good, I had constant black screen crashes with my Gigabyte 5700XT Gaming OC on 19.12.3. Rolling back to 19.12.1 seems to have sorted it but I much prefer the new 2020 software. Hopefully AMD can sort it out soon

Associate
OP
A quick update on my Gigabyte RX5700 Gaming OC (not the XT). I installed it yesterday and played some GTA 5 and Doom (the new one, obviously!) and no problems so far. I'm using the latest 19.12.3 driver.

The rest of the build is: Ryzen 5 3600X, 16GB 3600MHz RAM, MSI B450M MORTAR MAX.

Soldato
Speaking of DP cables..

Would a DP 1.4 be more benificial rather than the DP 1.2 im running atm?

Yes. Since got a DP1.4 HBR3 rated cable two years ago, stopped having to return the 2730Z back with flickering issues that got worse over 6 month period. Had 3 replacements in 18 months.

And had DP1.2a rated cable until that time.

Best investment ever since the Superflower 1000W Plat PSU 5 1/2 years ago....

Soldato
19.12.3 has been stable for me since I used MSI A/B to Erase autosaved startup settings.

Now my OC in wattman actually stick and don't reset on every reboot.

No more random blackscreen Wattman OC resets. Were the screen goes black and my OC in wattman is reset to default.

And I see higher frame rates in general. I don't know what else MSI A/B is doing but I also notice that PowerLimit slider actually works now. I had no idea it wasn't working for me before. I now only use 10% instead of 40% as 40% causes too much heat with very little difference in clock rate.

As of right now both wattman and MSI A/B works great! Once I exit out of MSI A/B and start up wattman, wattman takes full control of fan curve (that I manually set from before). Clock rates are right, etc. No more issues. No more fan speed stuck on what I set in MSI A/B in wattman. I saw this after rebooting PC after using wattman for an hour or so.

Back
Top Bottom