calling all dj's

Associate
I thought it would be good to find out how many dj's there is on here, make sure include where you dj and any equipment or pictures of yourselves!

I dj in carlisle 3 nights a week, ideal setup 2x mk3 cdj1000 and 1x djm800

pictures to follow :)

Soldato
This went well LOL!

Guess there weren't many DJ's about here when you created this thread...

Well, rather than start a new thread, i thought i'd resurrect this one. I've always had an interest in mixing / manipulating music by use of DJ equipment, and after years of using software with no hardware but my PC, i've decided to start learning with proper gear in the last year. I bought my Numark NV2 mkii controller in Feb this year and have been playing with it in the rare spare time that i get. Although the unit is good, it feels like a bit of a 'toy' with it's small platters, though it is fully featured (except you can't add external media devices). So i took advantage of a great offer from Denon and purchased a pair of SC5000M's with a free X1800 mixer. I'm still waiting for the mixer to arrive in the country, but i've been playing with the SC5000M's and i'm well impressed, it's like playing on vinyl, which i played with years ago, and i just love the feel of it. The idea is to practice, practice, practice, then give my self a few sets at my bar / restaurant when i feel good enough. I've got a perfect venue for live DJ sets :D I'll add pics of my setup once my mixer arrives.

Anyway, i love to mix a variety of stuff, primarily classic trance, old school house, current deep house, hed kandi style and late '00's trance (Anjuna style). So ,as R0Z4G asked, are there any other DJ's present on the forums?

Caporegime
Many moons ago I had SL1210 MK5s with a Pioneer DJM-300 and Pioneer HDJ1000 headphones.

Now I just use my laptop and Traktor Pro with a Hercules DJ Control Air+ with Sony MDR-V55s after my Pioneers finally died.

I've played at a few London venues over the years, Club 414 in Brixton (RIP) many times, Union, Cargo and The Prince Of Wales, but I don't really pursue it enough, in fact I have been slack just doing my normal web mixes this year.

Basically all flavours of trance.

I've started to focus on producing now, and have 2 tracks I am busy working on.

Soldato
I haven't had a proper mix in a few years now. My set up is all at my mums waiting until I have a decent bit of space to set it all up.

Have 2 SL1210 MK2s with concord needles, Rane Serato SL2, Rane TTM56 mixer, KRK Rokit 5s and KRK Rokit 10 sub and I used my sennheiser SP25 II monitors to listen. Mostly mixed Jungle and Drum and Bass I was trying to get more into mixing hip hop but never stuck with it for too long as 174bpm would always call me back!

As soon as we get a house with actual space to set it all back up I will. Never actually mixed out was very much a bedroom DJ but loved it nevertheless.

Soldato
I've still got my old 1210 MK2s set up with Traktor. My DJM600 was liquid damaged when I moved house 5 years ago so I got myself a second hand DJM850 to replace it. It's mainly trance, hard trance, hard house, hard style and DnB that I played. Back in the day I played a few places around Liverpool and a couple other places in the UK. I used to have a regular slot on DI.FM and they took me to Sweden and Norway to play there and video stream it on the website. Then life got in the way and it was more and more hassle getting gigs so I stuck to bedroom and house party DJing. I've not had a proper mix in a long time but it's fun just going through the old tunes nowadays and sticking things on to listen to.

Soldato
I used to be a budding DJ. I was never very good haha. Did some youth clubs and a couple of small pub/club gigs. Then my car was stolen with all my records in the boot :(. Got some replacements but never was the same. Mainly hard house, tech trance and some normal trance.

Equipment wise nothing fancy, couple of Stanton ST150s, Citronic CD decks and a Behringer mixer and I got Rane final scratch which is infinitely cool but never used it live. All my stuff lives boxed in my garage with my wife encouraging me to sell/bin it frequently.

Soldato
I haven't had a mix since 2012 when I played Trance Sanctuary in London. I was making headways in the mid 2000s but then I went travelling for 18 months came back and things had moved on. I got a dj controller and sold my CDJ1000s - worst mistake ever. Then never got back in to it.

Waiting for a house with a spare room so that I can set it all back up again.

Soldato
had 1210 mkii's for a while bought second hand. Was always an aspiring but never put the time in type ( story of my life sometimes ! ) Sold em on when they were just taking up space. Love me some Dj Hellfish / Dj Producer (both of whom are still banging em out )- deathchant type stuff and also acid techno - Chris Liberator and so on. These days I worry about my hearing

Associate
Sold my 1200s a long time ago to a guy I used to work with (he won Radio 1's DJ of the year competition in 2002 I think) so I know they went to good home.
Sold the majority of my vinyl to a DJ who drove from Billericay to Portsmouth (and back) one snowy winter's evening. To be fair, I had quite a few promos and first releases from labels going for a really good price, so for him it was too good a chance to miss.

had 1210 mkii's for a while bought second hand. Was always an aspiring but never put the time in type ( story of my life sometimes ! ) Sold em on when they were just taking up space. Love me some Dj Hellfish / Dj Producer (both of whom are still banging em out )- deathchant type stuff and also acid techno - Chris Liberator and so on. These days I worry about my hearing
DJ Producer played at a small club near me back in about 96/97 - I went there with a mate expecting a full-on industrial techno assault, only to find him playing house tracks! We got chatting to him afterwards and said he was itching to play the hard stuff but his agent had booked the event and that was that.
He did offer to come back to mine and play us a proper techno set but a) I was living with my parents and I don't think that would've gone down too well at 3am, and b) his girlfriend had just been caught up in something involving illegal subs (allegedly), so it was a non-starter anyway. Still, it's the thought that counts!

Man of Honour
Used to support a friend who DJ'd but can't really remember the kit any more - had some serious JBL speakers that looked like the JRX225 but were around 50% larger - annoyingly even 5 years ago I could have listed off all the kit but almost completely blank on it now.

Soldato
Finally got my mixer, had the decks for 5 weeks, now i can play :D

49301981136_eee3057c9f_b_d.jpg

Man of Honour
Nice.

I have a little Numark DJ2Go2 controller which I play around with. No illusions that I am any good. I have told my kids it's a jungle edition and therefore can'd play their stuff.

Associate
Still got a Pioneer DDJ-SX controller sat in a drawer at my place, unfortunately I really can't find a space for it right now with my desk aready full of other music toys. Had a top time with it at uni and made use of it daily mind you.

Soldato
Kit is currently in storage but I have 3 x 1210mk5s, djm 600, 2 x dns3500 cd decks and 1 x cdj800. Speakers are krk rp6.

Never had any regular gigs as there ain’t much hardcore in the lakes so most were one offs or events I put on myself.

Soldato
where's the needle ? ..
being old .. I like to hear the scratches or imperfections on the records ..
anyone can mix mp3's it even sets up the beats for you ..
btw I don't mix but know a few old boys that do .. paul ravey one m8 has must have 2k+ vinyl's

This is true, though you definitely will NOT find my fingerprints on the 'SYNC' buttons on these! I like beatmatching myself, though you do get the assistance of knowing the BPM of each track (though the beatgrids are not always accurate so you still have to check by ear). I do intend on buying a pair of proper vinyl turntables to add to the collection though, i'm properly hooked on gear now. Going to pick up a pair of Wharfedale 18" sub bottoms tomorrow to add to my Peavey DM115 tops, then i've found some truss i'm going to buy and then i need to concentrate on lighting. That's a whole different area that's i need to learn about lol

Soldato
Kit is currently in storage but I have 3 x 1210mk5s, djm 600, 2 x dns3500 cd decks and 1 x cdj800. Speakers are krk rp6.

Never had any regular gigs as there ain’t much hardcore in the lakes so most were one offs or events I put on myself.

If i were still in the lakes, i'd very much be trying to purchase 2 of those decks off you right now :D

Back
Top Bottom