The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
Just finished Outer Worlds, it was pretty sweet, I'd give it 8/10 overall.

It wasn't perfect and had some rough edges like static characters and a bit too much fetch questing/busywork or generally underwhelming sidequests.

On the other hand, the aesthetic was great, the combat was fun, the characters were mostly interesting and the humour was nice. Lots of dialogue options and choices that have lasting consequences. You're free to kill most people or play through the game without shooting a bullet. You can use your dialogue stats to get out of difficult situations in different, often funny, ways. Quite a lot of room for fun builds as well.

I really liked the compact nature of the world and that the game doesn't overstay its welcome like many RPGs. The areas are big enough to form a compelling setting with many interesting places but without getting boring in the long run. Similarly, the plot doesn't drag on for a hundred hours. You can finish everything in 30-35h and feel satisfied.

Soldato
Finished Ori and the blind forest last night and was really impressed with it. It's not my ususal type of game but it managed to pull me in before I knew it I was loading this up over other more modern games like RDR2 :eek:

The soundtrack is also amazing and well worth checking out even if you have no interest in the game itself.

9/10 - Looking forward to the sequel.

It's currently £6.99 for the definitive edition on steam, well worth that money. :D

Man of Honour
Recently did the Bioshock trilogy. Remastered versions of the first 2, then on to Infinite.
Still some of the best storytelling ever done in game. Atmosphere is absolutely spot on, the ability to choose your plasmids to customise what you can do is great, weapons feel about right for the environments. The audio is really clever and well done.

I still think the original game is the best of the 3 and Infinite is the weakest, but they're all damn good games. For the trilogy overall, I'm going to give it a serious 9.5/10

Associate
Finished Outer Worlds a couple of weeks ago, I really enjoyed it, but felt the ending was a bit rushed - 8/10

Jedi Fallen Order - 7/10, the story was great, but the enemy respawn was a pain and i didn't think the combat was very fluid.

Soldato
Finished Ori and the blind forest last night and was really impressed with it. It's not my ususal type of game but it managed to pull me in before I knew it I was loading this up over other more modern games like RDR2 :eek:

The soundtrack is also amazing and well worth checking out even if you have no interest in the game itself.

9/10 - Looking forward to the sequel.

It's currently £6.99 for the definitive edition on steam, well worth that money. :D

Try Hollow Knight if you liked Ori

Soldato
Greedfall - 8/10

Was somewhat hesitant to get this hearing of the clunky games of the past from the same devs, but glad I took the plunge. Its a solid game of the genera, defo taking cues from Dragon age and there is a aot to like, a diamond in the rough as some elements could use some polish. You can tell its not from a massive studio with a bucket of cash and team behind it at times. Builds for examples are reused in the various cities as are plenty of interiors, some NPC's have same voice acting, though fortunately not the main ones, facial animations can also be awkward as can lip syncing. However the world itself, in particular outside of cities can look amazing at times, there are various different story arcs going on and so forth. Takes an initial hour or two to get into it, but is great fun once your hooked, ended up spending around 40 hours in it which completed all the main and side quests, one tertiary quest (basically find books) left

+ World is pretty cool, strong colonial vibe
+ Game can look stunning at times
+ combat can be fun
+ Like multiple ways to complete missions. How you complete some quests, even secondary ones impacts the epilogue
+ companion quests are usually unique and fun

- Some quests are meh
- Feels lengthened at times for sake of it
- Facial animations

Soldato
Mutant Year Zero : Road to Eden (7/10)

This had been in my library for some time, and I quickly got hooked.

I quickly finished the main game and then purchased the DLC and cleared that.

Irritating things :

1)Chances to hit feel predetermined more than anything.
2)It got a little boring close to the end.

Soldato
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

It's really hard to rate it because as a game it's rather average with simple environmental puzzles, strong graphics and visually impressive and impactful but pretty limited combat. Nothing more.

As an experience however, it's a harrowing and suffocating depiction of psychosis with simply masterful binaural audiowork that can be genuinely disturbing, especially on headphones. Senua's character is very convincing as well, especially knowing that the devs worked with psychologists and people suffering from psychosis to accurately portray the symptoms and her delusions, something that's apparent even in the nature of the puzzles. It's not a horror game that somehow manages to be more unsettling than many horror games without using a single jumpscare. I can imagine playing through it entirely on headphones in a dark room with audio turned up could make one a bit mentally drained at some points because the voices really gnaw at your mind almost incessantly. They laugh, whisper, shout from different directions, refer to you in third person, ridicule you, urge or warn you, say contradicting things in a chaotic fashion etc. sometimes even like five voices at once and factoring in the rest of equally disturbing soundwork it does make an impact.
The "narrator" is also fantastic.

So, judging it purely as a game it's maybe a 6/10 but overall I rate it must play/10 because I have no idea how to score it fairly:D

Soldato
To the Moon. Bought it ages ago in a sale and never got around to playing it until yesterday. It's really nice to play a game that doesn't go on forever for a change.

Pixel RPGs aren't really my bag these days, with the exception of replaying games like Zelda 3, so I didn't think I'd enjoy it.

What a nice surprise - great little story and I really enjoyed it. 8/10.

Finished Ori and the blind forest last night and was really impressed with it.

Ori is one of my fave ever platformers. Great game :)

Soldato
Finally finished Red Dead Redemption 2 - 10/10 for me 100%.

I loved rdr1 when it came out and this just seemed to go a step above story wise. The amount of detail/graphics and character development, voice acting is just breathtaking. Probably the best looking game I’ve ever seen in 4k. So much customisability and so much possibility in one game you really can play it exactly how you desire at any point in the story.

Still have a lot I want to do in the game side quest wise etc. But have a mountain backlock of other games to start/finish so I’ll be prioritising those and playing it as and when I feel like it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

It's really hard to rate it because as a game it's rather average with simple environmental puzzles, strong graphics and visually impressive and impactful but pretty limited combat. Nothing more.

As an experience however, it's a harrowing and suffocating depiction of psychosis with simply masterful binaural audiowork that can be genuinely disturbing, especially on headphones. Senua's character is very convincing as well, especially knowing that the devs worked with psychologists and people suffering from psychosis to accurately portray the symptoms and her delusions, something that's apparent even in the nature of the puzzles. It's not a horror game that somehow manages to be more unsettling than many horror games without using a single jumpscare. I can imagine playing through it entirely on headphones in a dark room with audio turned up could make one a bit mentally drained at some points because the voices really gnaw at your mind almost incessantly. They laugh, whisper, shout from different directions, refer to you in third person, ridicule you, urge or warn you, say contradicting things in a chaotic fashion etc. sometimes even like five voices at once and factoring in the rest of equally disturbing soundwork it does make an impact.
The "narrator" is also fantastic.

So, judging it purely as a game it's maybe a 6/10 but overall I rate it must play/10 because I have no idea how to score it fairly:D

I got a good way through it last year but had to stop because it was stopping me sleeping. I found it an amazing but deeply affecting game.

Soldato
Battlefront 2 campaign.

Some great set pieces and does a good job of mixing up the walk forward and shoot with vehicles and heroes. That said it can get tedious at times. The ai is ‘woeful’ there is no other word for it. When your towards the end of a firefight and you turn around and see a storm trooper that’s stood next to you taking random pot shots at you, god knows how long he was stood by me! The comrade ai isn’t much better with some of your team mates unable to hit a thing or even fire their gun. It’s quite comical when friend and foe ai face off next to each other taking random pot shots in turn for what seems like an eternity.

The Star Wars worlds are however beautiful in 4K/ultra and the sound design beyond reproach. As with most shooters I’m glad once the end is in sight but won’t forget the sun bouncing off the cockpit of my tie fighter or jumping from hyperspace in an x wing for some time.

6/10

Soldato
Oddworld: New'n'Tasty: 8/10

Picked this up at some point out of sheer nostalgia. Provided everything I wanted and gave me a chance to properly finish the game as I only played it at friends' houses as a kid.

It looks good and plays OK but is a little buggy and the controls have been compromised when updating it from PS1 to Unity. Weirdly, the original still looks basically as good and offers the same humour. So I'd probably give the original 9/10 and recommend you play that instead!

Soldato
Just finished Prey, easily a 9/10 game for me.

It does so much right, from story/atmosphere and exploration to combat/traversal options and the sheer amount of well thought-out secrets, scenarios and possibilities it gives to the player.

I really can't find that much wrong with it, other than the fact that it's a bit too long and exhausting at times due to the aforementioned and making you want to explore everything.

Other than that, stellar game design and hugely replayable as well.

Back
Top Bottom