Have I screwed up my motherboard.

Associate
OP
A decent msi b450 with 1st or 2nd gen ryzen CPU and 16gigs would set you back around £250 and you would have the option to upgrade to a 3rd/4th gen in a few years. Selling both your old am3 CPUs and ram would lower the cost aswell so maybe around £150 when all said and done.

I’m really out of touch with CPUs, not really looked since 2011/12, what should I be looking for?

Cheers,

Nigel

Associate
OP
General computing and some 1080P gaming. Why I am kicking myself is that the system I had working yesterday was doing what I needed fine. I had the idea that a little oomph would be nice occasionally and was tempted by a mild CPU upgrade.

To be honest, wish I’d left well alone now.

The graphics card is a GTX 1060.

Cheers,

Nigel

Soldato
General computing and some 1080P gaming. Why I am kicking myself is that the system I had working yesterday was doing what I needed fine. I had the idea that a little oomph would be nice occasionally and was tempted by a mild CPU upgrade.

To be honest, wish I’d left well alone now.

The graphics card is a GTX 1060.

Cheers,

Nigel

Just one of them things unfortunately, I wouldn't spend anymore money on the am3 though so really your options are to either take the risk with your sons am3 board or going for an am4 set up.

If you decide to go am4 and want to keep the budget down then I would suggest something like a
B450 tomahawk max with a ryzen 5 2600x.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes maybe risk my son’s MoBo - we have no use for it anyway.

I think if I were going to go AM4 or Intel equivalent, I would want a decent jump. I’ve seen a Ryzen 5 3600 bundle for £329 - so something like that. I don’t want to spend a fair amount for a upgrade that I will barely notice.

Cheers,

Nigel

Associate
Stick with your sons MB and suck it and see, Perhaps rig in a case fan somewhere to blow over the VRM's? You've nothing to loose as his MB was surplus anyways and frankly not worth much?

Soldato
Luck of the draw man, had a motherboard that dropped down stairs with the 120mm tower cooler still on work, had one been in a open barrel outside someones workshop for almost 2 decades work, yet swapped the ram on another and it never worked again :D

Soldato
If you don't want to upgrade, that Asus board will run the 8320 without a glitch. Presuming it's the M5A97 Evo R2.0, I had one running an overclocked 8350 for years without issue. When I upgraded to a Ryzen 2600 based system I gave it to my sister, still with the overclock applied and it is happily running to this day.

On the other hand, I went from the aforementioned 8350 to a Ryzen 5 2600 and found that the machine was generally nicer to use overall. I wouldn't discount the move to a new platform if you can afford it. If I was buying new today, I would be strongly considering the 3600.

Soldato
Given your current situation, spare board + current CPU and consider your options longer term. A 1st gen Ryzen 1600/1700+ x370 or B450 board and 8GB will run you £150ish used, you'd have been way better off putting the money towards something like that in the first place rather than the AM3 platform which is a dead end and frankly wasn't exactly great back in the day, Ryzen is a significant upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom