Do you smoke inside the house or only outside ?

Caporegime
I did a crappy contract when I left uni, a minor it audit and clean of equipment at the BBC world service.
The Russian office was caked in nicotine and tar stained equipment the whole room was yellow.

They laughed about how they had disconnected all the fire equipment and were constantly battling to keep it off....

Was quite funny to a younger me.

Soldato
I've never liked smoking tobacco inside, it makes everything smell for days on end. But I always used to smoke inside.

My partner doesn't smoke so I now take the opportunity to have a nice 20 minutes outside to myself with a podcast when I smoke now

Soldato
Does amuse me when people are more concerned about keeping their cars and home decor clean and smelling fresh than poisoning their lungs, heart etc. Who'd have thunk it. Ex smoker here who once was more concerned about the said mentioned than my own health. So ridiculous.

Soldato
I smoke in the house, and so do any guests who choose to so do. In fact `er indoors had her pre Christmas Mrs. Bucket soiree recently and one guest actually asked if I and others would mind smoking outside. We had him gone within the hour, he was on about whether we had decaf coffee too, and looking askance at the Daily Mail on the table plus getting on to drinking and driving, which had a few a bit worried as to his job. By half after midnight you could barely make out people you knew well, empty spirit bottles abounded and a good time was had by all. I won't even contemplate going to a party if I am expected to either remove my shoes or smoke outside.
That seems fairly intolerant. It's not much hardship to pop out for a smoke. Hell, I vape now and still go outside just to escape sometimes.

Associate
Used to have the odd cigarette in the house, only when the Mrs and Kids were away for a few days and only on the first night they were away so the smell was gone before they got home.

Since the smoking ban in pubs came in, I've been going outside for a smoke.

Those who said they were going to quit the fags for a New Year Resolution, how are you getting on? How are you doing it?

I'm six days in now, cold turkey, not as grouchy as I have been during previous attempts but I'm shovelling grub down my throat so need to keep a close eye on my weight. Other than that, still feeling confident and optimistic about my non-smoking future.

Permabanned
That seems fairly intolerant. It's not much hardship to pop out for a smoke. Hell, I vape now and still go outside just to escape sometimes.

If anyone thinks I am going outside of my own home for a smoke, or expecting guests to because one other guest has a beef about it, you are very mistaken. Yes, I am intolerant of anyone coming in to my home and expecting me to change my habits to accommodate anything other than a major issue they may have, and have made clear in advance. It's bad enough having to go outside at a pub, I am damned if I or my guests are standing out in the December weather at my own house. He won't be coming again ;) There's no sadder sight than a huddle of damp people rushing through their smokes on a doorstep or outside an office.

Permabanned
You’re talking to the 70s.

1930's is probably nearer the mark ;) Yep, I know I am a cantankerous old barsteward, someone at the party reminded me of me going for dinner at their gaff some years back, starving hungry because my wife had said not to snack beforehand as they were the type to do a full 4 course traditional roast. We were given some nouvelle cuisine on huge black plates, with tiny portions of God knows what with a green sauce lovingly dribbled from a teaspoon around them, of insufficient quantity to feed a hamster. I apparently said "I am not sure whether I should review this as a piece of modern art or
eat it?" Thankfully they had a sense of humor and the chippy was still open on the way back home... It was a smoking in the lounge do though, and he had a couple of very fine cigars each to share.

Soldato
Here's a smoking question. Apparently the EU are banning the sale of menthol cigs as of May this year, or thereabouts. Will our leaving of the EU negate this ban?

I remember the days when menthol ciggies were routinely recommended to people with asthma!

Not that Asthma was particularly common back then. Genuinely curious that how the massive improvements in air quality, particularly in places like London, over the last 50 years seemingly have gone hand-in-hand with an equally massive rise in conditions such as asthma and severe allergies generally.

In all my schooldays up until my late teens I only knew one person with Asthma and nobody with a severe (IE life threatening) food intolerance (I did know people who avoided Milk because it made them a bit sniffy, but that really was the worst of it. I do not recall anybody with a life threatening nut allergy etc)

Soldato
In all my schooldays up until my late teens I only knew one person with Asthma and nobody with a severe (IE life threatening) food intolerance (I did know people who avoided Milk because it made them a bit sniffy, but that really was the worst of it. I do not recall anybody with a life threatening nut allergy etc)

Maybe they died as small children?

Asthma incidence increase is mainly put down to vitamin D deficiency caused by lack of sunlight, airborne pollutants, use of antibiotics and obesity. Although air quality by mass of particulates is better, pollution from cars, particularly diesel cars is very harmful, especially to children.

Permabanned
He could be the new Alf Garnett, smoking in his yellow house and calling people coons, would be hilarious.

I was watching `Till death us do part on You Tube last night, apparently I do a very good impression of Alf after a few pints. Great series. I wonder what Tony and Cherie Blair used to make of her dad playing Mike Rawlins in the series? ;)

Soldato
My mother's a long-retired ex-nurse of over 40 years and she remembers when patients smoked on the wards. Apparently there were ashtrays on the bedside cabinets.

Commissario
I was watching `Till death us do part on You Tube last night, apparently I do a very good impression of Alf after a few pints. Great series. I wonder what Tony and Cherie Blair used to make of her dad playing Mike Rawlins in the series? ;)
We need evidence of this ;)

Back
Top Bottom