• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
But here's the thing, AMD did at one point have the better cards at the top end. Yet customers still went out and bought the inferior Nvidia cards. Radeon has a branding/image/mind share problem and it's not going away unless they change their strategy.

Check out the stats over on Steam for Nvidia's SUPER cards, they've been outselling Radeon cards across the board. Even though similar performance Radeon cards can be picked up for less money.

AMD only have themselves to blame and they need to sort it out.

Personally, i don't care who makes the card. I just want to buy a 300/400 GBP card in the next couple of years without the feeling i'm being ripped off.
That is a bit unfair....... IF I was buying a new card today I would in theory have no problem going AMD. In practice however if i was weighing up between a 2070s and AMD I could save, £50-£75 and go for a 5700XT or I could get a card which has better ray tracing support and tensor cores (for what they are worth)......

For me i would STILL go NV, but it isnt because I have a love of men in leather coats.

As an aside - I dont know as i dont use it at home) but my colleague tells me he wont go back to AMD until they sort out their linux support..... He reckons the AMD drivers are utter trash.

this is 3rd hand info however so if you guys say he is wrong I aint gonna argue.

Last edited:
Associate
That is a bit unfair....... IF I was buying a new card today I would in theory have no problem going AMD. In practice however if i was weighing up between a 2070s and AMD I could save, £50-£75 and go for a 5700XT or I could get a card which has better ray tracing support and tensor cores (for what they are worth)......

For me i would STILL go NV

Do you mind if I ask why you would still go NV?

Man of Honour

For me i would STILL go NV, but it isnt because I have a love of men in leather coats.

As an aside - I dont know as i dont use it at home) but my colleague tells me he wont go back to AMD until they sort out their linux support..... He reckons the AMD drivers are utter trash.

this is 3rd hand info however so if you guys say he is wrong I aint gonna argue.

AMD have baked linux drivers into the Kernel and have "better" or at least did up until a few months back, linux support than NV. Linux on AMD is plug and play. At the time I last looked (sept 19) I believe that this was the state of play. It was certainly much easier to get AMD set up in linux than it was NV at least. A simple google should set you straight on which vendor is more linux friendly.

Some people (not saying your colleague is one of them) will literally say anything at all to make one vendor look superior to the other. Personally their drivers are as bad as each other imo.

Last edited:
Associate
AMD has to do way more than save 70 bucks for less performance and no RT to gain marketshare.
Exactly, they need a disruptive card at similar or better performance for 30% or more less in price! If the rumoured 5900XT comes in at more than £650-£700 for better than 2080ti
performance I won't bite. I need a compelling offer not similar performance ever so slightly cheaper.

Soldato
Exactly, they need a disruptive card at similar or better performance for 30% or more less in price! If the rumoured 5900XT comes in at more than £650-£700 for better than 2080ti
performance I won't bite. I need a compelling offer not similar performance ever so slightly cheaper.

£700 is only slightly cheaper than £1200 for a potentially faster card? You guys slay me.

Caporegime
A 2080TI beating Radeon will not be $700 you can be sure of that, It will be cheaper but not by $500, Nvidia set the pricing because the majority buy nVidia, not AMD, at the high end, AMD just go with it because undercutting Nvidia by huge amounts doesn't work, people just buy Nvidia anyway.

Soldato
I seriously just want an upgrade path for my
Vega 64 without having to buy NVIDIA.

5700XT. Faster than the Vega64 on the games I play by a good margin. 40% on WOT, 80-100% on ESO, 30%-40% on X4 even with higher graphic settings.
80-100% on ESO might seem "too high" but is actually true, because even with custom profile forcing P7 state as minimum speed on that game, still Vega 64 was never utilized. Contrary to 5700XT where utilization is always 90-98% and FPS went in towns from 45 to 75-95. Outside towns 100+ and dungeons, delves etc 143 (Chill cap).

While I have "downgraded" the CPU from 8600K 5Ghz to 3900X at stock speeds (around 4550 at constant 100% load). But thats irrelevant.

Soldato
A 2080TI beating Radeon will not be $700 you can be sure of that, It will be cheaper but not by $500, Nvidia set the pricing because the majority buy nVidia, not AMD, at the high end, AMD just go with it because undercutting Nvidia by huge amounts doesn't work, people just buy Nvidia anyway.

If it would be $700, cool, faster by a significant margin compared to 2080ti (at least 50%), drivers are ok from the start and has RT, then yes, people will be buy it.
If it's a bit cheaper, has RT (perhaps "meh" drivers), and is somewhat faster (20-30%), but with similar power consumption or greater, of course people will not make queues (and I guess this is where will actually be). Same goes with the other cards.
Traditionally AMD managed to shot themselves in the foot with one thing or another, even when they had good products.

Caporegime
If it would be $700, cool, faster by a significant margin compared to 2080ti (at least 50%), drivers are ok from the start and has RT, then yes, people will be buy it.
If it's a bit cheaper, has RT (perhaps "meh" drivers), and is somewhat faster (20-30%), but with similar power consumption or greater, of course people will not make queues (and I guess this is where will actually be). Same goes with the other cards.
Traditionally AMD managed to shot themselves in the foot with one thing or another, even when they had good products.

People do by Radeon cards but at the high end nothing like the numbers that's worth it, AMD would have to be selling a lot more cards at a low price than they do at high prices if still lower than Nvidia, if they are to undercut Nvidia by $500 at the 2080TI end they have to sell at least as many as Nvidia if not more for it to make sense, in reality they would be doing well to get more than 30% share. they would still get 20% share at 90% of Nvidia's price.

Is it worth selling more at a lower price than it is less at a higher price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom