• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
There are many more sub timings to play with I would suggest you start by using the Dram calculator.
Then make the changes that the calculator suggests.
Preferably you would use Taiphoon first then export the data to file then import that into Dram calculator.

I dont know what Ram you are using but the tRC and tRAS seem high in comparison to mine.

Man of Honour
Cheers, I have a B450 board at the moment and although a 3950x will work with it, I may need a better board.
mortar has the same vrms as tomahawk...so the vid below can be extrapolated ;)

skip to 8:30 for tl;dr - your mortar should be fine - not ideal but no issues

Soldato
Anyone have an idea why i seem to be getting higher latency than others? I'm just testing different speeds. But I've seen other people with 3600 ram get lower latency than this

latency.png
I'm at 3600 CL16 and get 69.4ns so I would definitely expect your to be better. Check your IF frequency matches your DRAM frequency (1800 MHz) and sub-timings as others suggest.

Soldato
I dont know what Ram you are using but the tRC and tRAS seem high in comparison to mine.
https://www.gskill.com/product/165/...DDR4-3600MHz-CL16-16-16-36-1.35V32GB-(2x16GB)
I'm at 3600 CL16 and get 69.4ns so I would definitely expect your to be better. Check your IF frequency matches your DRAM frequency (1800 MHz) and sub-timings as others suggest.
I think the IF is what shows as NB Frequency? So it's correct at 1800. Not sure if it's giving the right latency for DOCP stock settings either, looks like it might be more of a fiddle than i thought then.

Btw does anyone know why at times i can hear a metallic click/tick sounding noise coming from somewhere? Not able to tell where it's coming from, so no idea if it's the GPU, board or PSU. Sounds a bit like a noise something would make when heating up, but i hear it at random times and usually only once at a time.

Soldato
Anyone help with the last 75mhz...

isFWG8w.jpg

Irritatingly close to 4.5Ghz All-Core.. what is the most I can push vcore? any other volltages I should be setting to help stability?

System:
CPU:
Ryzen 3950x
RAM: 2 x 32GB Corsair Vengeance (3600 - 18-22-22-22-42)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at this, it seems ASUS are the only ones to not have a BIOS across their whole lineup with the latest 1004b agesa. :o

I've been F5ing the BIOS page for my board since Oct. Still waiting.

That's not great is it. I don't remember the launch of whatever the beginning of intels last new arch, and all new stuff needs a BIOS revision, but AMD were a little tricky for some to get going on launch, not many plug n play. All of it was down to BIOS & AGESA so AMD got their end to all other board partners....except ASUS or are ASUS slack. Longer they leave it looks more like the latter. To be honest I think ABB gave me the best performance, but the RAM wouldn't run XMP.

Soldato
Looking at this, it seems ASUS are the only ones to not have a BIOS across their whole lineup with the latest 1004b agesa. :o

Several ASRock boards only have beta BIOSs that aren't even available to download on the official website, like the one I'm using right now.

Caporegime
Asus have been crap with BIOS's for X570 boards.
Ryzen 3XXX series with X570 has been probably the absolutely worst experience for me.

If I was to remove my sound card, it'd all work okay on the current BIOS, but I shouldn't have to.
The last BIOS broke sound card support completely.

I've not been able to use PCI-E 4.0 for my 5700XT and have my sound card working ever either.

I should have bought that Creative X7 Sound Blaster when I had the chance.

Last edited:
Soldato

That's the downside of company's like Asus. They've got 40% market share and they're aiming for 60%. When a company gets big, people buy their products based on mindshare. They dont have to bother about trivial things like support.

Associate
Just bought another 2 sticks of TForce Pro Dark to give me 32Gb, I was expecting to have to makes some memory adjustments but I simply installed it and booted, didnt even need to reset XMP.

(I was worried moving to 4 RAM sticks that it might not boot at 3600Mhz, but no such worries)

Brilliant.

Caporegime
I have to say Gigabyte have been absolutely brilliant with bios updates.

Saying that I am now informed how they work.

MSI has been amazing. I wouldn't touch ASUS from previous experiences and I actually found Asrock to be better even though I'm sure they own them.

MSI only for me now. I thought they were bad because they don't have as many updates but they tend to do 1 update and do it right unless it's a beta BIOS use at your own risk.

Associate
I have never had issues with asus mobos back in the 2000 era but since then I see in each generation there are better supporting brands and they differ per gen. 450 and 470 gigabyte didnt have good reviews while x570 is the top pick on every segment. Asus also is good this gen but shadowed by Gigabyte in my opinion and is missing specs in some segments.

The msi unify and above to me are the good mobos from msi end almost bought the unify if it wasnt for a good deal on the aorus x570 master.

Caporegime
What do you mean?

Well I used to think ASUS was better because they released a new BIOS every other week. It wa sbecause there was so many bugs they had to fix.

Whereas I though MSI was bad because they released a new BIOS when needed and rarely. As there was no bugs.

Now I know thinking more = better is wrong. I would definetely stay away from ASUS. even if they do release one it will likely be a buggy mess and need several updated BIOS's to fix.

Soldato
Several ASRock boards only have beta BIOSs that aren't even available to download on the official website, like the one I'm using right now.

Yes I've seen the X370 Taichi has been abandoned in effect. Still on the 1003abb bios which is shockingly bad considering it was touted as a top board when it first launched.

I would not buy Asrock either.

Soldato
Just bought another 2 sticks of TForce Pro Dark to give me 32Gb, I was expecting to have to makes some memory adjustments but I simply installed it and booted, didnt even need to reset XMP.

(I was worried moving to 4 RAM sticks that it might not boot at 3600Mhz, but no such worries)

Brilliant.
oooh very tempting..... That the CL16 stuff?

Associate
Count me in ... finally, I pulled the plug.
Upgrading my 4790K that will go to my kid's PC.

3800X ( i was going for the 3600X but they had this super cool promotion that was at the same price as the 3700x )
MSI MEG Unify
16Gb Team Group Xtreem 8Pack 4500Mhz ( again, in promotion ... didn't get the 32Gb i wanted but i'll do that during this year if needed. Lets us try the magic 3800CL14... or not )

81596752_10218486642431421_6835421283144957952_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom