Do you smoke inside the house or only outside ?

Permabanned
My mother's a long-retired ex-nurse of over 40 years and she remembers when patients smoked on the wards. Apparently there were ashtrays on the bedside cabinets.

Probably did `em less harm than inexorably crawling outside in their pajamas in the winter for a crafty one. I can certainly recall doctors and patients smoking in NHS hospitals.

"Public Health England (PHE) has found that trusts are making steady progress in becoming smokefree, with smoking now banned completely on the grounds of more than two thirds (69%) of NHS acute trusts in England. Yet despite this progress, almost a third (31%) have not yet enforced total smoking bans across hospital premises.

The survey was carried out as part of PHE’s Smokefree NHS campaign, which encourages all hospitals to provide smokefree environments as part of supporting smokers to quit and reducing tobacco-related harms. The NHS Five Year Forward View included a commitment for all trusts to have fully smokefree sites by spring 2020."

Now we'll probably see as many patients die of withdrawal symptoms as die from something they pick up when in for something minor. You can be sure the nurses will know of a quiet spot where security turn a blind eye or share with them...

Soldato
Maybe they died as small children?

I did seriously wonder that, but from what I have been able to find, while Infant mortality was higher in the sixties, it wasn't that much higher. and nowhere near as it would have had to have been considereing the proportion of children today that are fatally allergic to this/that or grabbing an inhaler at every available opportunity.

Although air quality by mass of particulates is better, pollution from cars, particularly diesel cars is very harmful, especially to children.

I find it hard to believe that overall pollution from cars/trucks in places like central London is so much worse (Even from Diesels) than it was 50 years ago to account for the massive increase in these problems over the intervening time. We are not looking at asthma/allergy levels being the same as they were back in the 60's, nor even slightly greater than back then. Occurrence must be an order of magnitude (Or More) greater now than then.

Blaming it all on Diesels/Air-quality simply doesn't wash. There has to be another primary cause.

Soldato
Smoke cigars outside at Christmas to celebrate my success in life vape in the house no worries, even if friends that smoke come around they are booted outside :)

Man of Honour
I was watching `Till death us do part on You Tube last night, apparently I do a very good impression of Alf after a few pints. Great series. I wonder what Tony and Cherie Blair used to make of her dad playing Mike Rawlins in the series? ;)

You do realise the joke was always on Alf Garnett?
He always lost.

Anyway, I always thought you were about 18 not 80!

Soldato
I smoke in the house, and so do any guests who choose to so do. In fact `er indoors had her pre Christmas Mrs. Bucket soiree recently and one guest actually asked if I and others would mind smoking outside. We had him gone within the hour, he was on about whether we had decaf coffee too, and looking askance at the Daily Mail on the table plus getting on to drinking and driving, which had a few a bit worried as to his job. By half after midnight you could barely make out people you knew well, empty spirit bottles abounded and a good time was had by all. I won't even contemplate going to a party if I am expected to either remove my shoes or smoke outside.
Are your ceilings yellow?

Soldato
I grew up with Tony Booth as a neighbour. Really nice fella.

He wouldn't have done Till Death Do Us Part if the joke wasn't on Garnett. Neither would Warren Mitchell either, he was furious to begin with that people took the character as a hero when it was meant in the exact opposite way.

Soldato
Here's a smoking question. Apparently the EU are banning the sale of menthol cigs as of May this year, or thereabouts. Will our leaving of the EU negate this ban?

No, the UK already agreed to the EU law years ago regarding the ban of menthol cigarettes therefore the ban still stands whether we are in or out the EU in May. Plus the UK are still committed in stopping smoking so I really can't see them overturning current smoking laws to encourage more smoking.

Oh and kids today will never know the simple pleasure of a 10 deck. :D

Soldato
If anyone thinks I am going outside of my own home for a smoke, or expecting guests to because one other guest has a beef about it, you are very mistaken. Yes, I am intolerant of anyone coming in to my home and expecting me to change my habits to accommodate anything other than a major issue they may have, and have made clear in advance. It's bad enough having to go outside at a pub, I am damned if I or my guests are standing out in the December weather at my own house. He won't be coming again ;) There's no sadder sight than a huddle of damp people rushing through their smokes on a doorstep or outside an office.

I will agree that asking someone to smoke outside of their own house is a bit of a faux pas. It's their bloody house so just take your leave if you don't like it. That said, if you go to someone else's house and they don't smoke in their house, then it's their right to tell you to sod off outside. If that makes you not want to go to an event, then grand, your choice of course. Seems like a shame to miss out on seeing friends/family because you can't hack a bit of rain for a few minutes though.

Soldato
Does amuse me when people are more concerned about keeping their cars and home decor clean and smelling fresh than poisoning their lungs, heart etc. Who'd have thunk it. Ex smoker here who once was more concerned about the said mentioned than my own health. So ridiculous.

Tbf it is healthier, the benzene doesn't get a change to stay around (which it does) and no hotboxing.

Back
Top Bottom