• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD will live stream its 6th Jan CES 2020 press conference

Soldato
... i just want nvidia(Jensens's ego actually) to have a bashing.. i also want unicorns to come visit me from time to time.

Problem is that nvidia unlike Intel have been offering far more than 10% gen-on-gen. Pascal was really a great architecture. nvidia also know how to make massive chips.

Soldato
Apparently TRX40 isn't for just 2 generations, at least according to AMD.

I think now that they've reached 64 cores. It's a case of improving the cores as much as they can. They've probably pushed 7nm and the chiplet design as far as it will go.

Soldato
The laptop looks impressive!!

Yeah, both of them. But that Dell one, thought there must be a mistake given it's small size (thickness). I was looking at my Predator 15 at the same time trying to compare. Is half the size, let alone less weight and far more powerful. And because I travel a lot is the first thing going to buy this year when comes out (Q2 she said). At $800 also!!!!!!!

Soldato
To be honest the laptop arena was the last arena Intel had better products than AMD in. Do I'm not surprised AMD have gone hard after Intel here, it'll bring in huge revenue for them.

Anyone else currently buying Dell Enterprise laptops knows there is an upto 6 week lead time on most models and 3070 Optiplex PCs due to Intel chip shortages, and this will only get worse as Intel announced its latest 14nm++ chips.

Hopefully Dell actually make laptops with AMD processors, and not just a few token options, as if they do I'll be swapping all ours to AMD every time I do a refresh run, quite simply that amount of power in a laptop makes a huge difference for our users, especially in departments that will take advantage of that extra power, CAD, Finance etc.

Can't wait.

Associate
Really great laptop CPUs ...
All the rest of the keynote ... meh ...
CES = Consumer Electronics Show ... Threadripper is not ... exactly a consumer product... more towards the professional market ...

Was hoping some more hype :) All the audience too ... when they were clapping ... we could feel they were expecting something more :D

Associate
Prob go past 64 cores when the memory situation changes, they will need more bandwidth when pushing large core chips - then again thats only 2021 for what? Zen 4.

Soldato
I think now that they've reached 64 cores. It's a case of improving the cores as much as they can. They've probably pushed 7nm and the chiplet design as far as it will go.

We do know Zen 3 what it brings, with the abolision of the CCX etc. However we also know the Zen 3 chiplets are smaller also and AMD moves the I/O to 7nm. With new design which is must faster and at less than half size. Plenty of space there to put another 16 cores and round it to 80 cores :p

Hell, even desktop market might see 24 core CPU given than 3rd Zen 3 chiplet would fit there with the new shrank I/O :D

Associate
Makes sense for them to hit the laptop segment. There is a lot of revenue to be tapped in there and with the good branding momentum they got its the best time to go full speed ahead with this. Getting Dell on board is a big thing, wondering though if it is just a laptop or a loads from Dell with AMD

Back
Top Bottom