Travelling to Japan

Soldato
@SpartaK thanks!
The Japan Guide website looks awesome for pretty much everything!

I think we mostly went into Kuoni for a ballpark price that they do it for, and what's involved. I normally hate guided things, as I much prefer to plan it myself.

We'll have read of the threads here and see what we think. Thanks again

Associate
@SpartaK thanks!
The Japan Guide website looks awesome for pretty much everything!

I think we mostly went into Kuoni for a ballpark price that they do it for, and what's involved. I normally hate guided things, as I much prefer to plan it myself.

We'll have read of the threads here and see what we think. Thanks again

The first couple of times we went we used a company called inside japan tours. What they were very good at was working out what sort of things we wanted to do and having knowledge of local accommodation options, interesting things to do, planning all the internal travel and getting tickets for hard to see things.

If you have the time to plan it all yourself though there's not much benefit and the itineraries on travel company websites plus japan guide and hyperdia will tell you almost as much.

Soldato
I went to Japan for 5 days a few years back. I didn't find it too expensive compared to London, unless things have changed in 5 years.

I've just come back from a weekend in Iceland now that's expensive topping Switzerland!

this, things in Japan are generally cheaper than here. The only expensive thing I found was long distance transport. Food, metro, accommodation)I stayed in hostels were all very reasonable especially when you consider the quality.

Associate
Can I just bump this thread for a quick yes/no question.

In 2020 my partner and I are planning our 'once in a lifetime' trip to Japan. There's still some debate about going in Spring or Fall (probably the latter as Spring is not too far away now)

But.....companies like Kuoni have a 12 day Japan tour, which is pretty expensive. About £5k each (but that does include flights to/from UK, all accommodation with at least breakfast, and often lunch or dinner....and of course a guide)

So the plus of this is that it removes the hassle of arranging and planning all the travel etc (but as I do that for my job anyway it'n not a major issue for me)

I guess the ultimate question would be if anyone has done anything similar, or people would thoroughly recommend planing it yourself?

we went with trailfinders a few years ago 5k all in excluding flights for 2, flights were about 1k for both of us. so it can be cheaper elsewhere.
obviously tours will be more expensive anyways since it's hasslefree for you. :)

cherryblossom time (spring) is the most expensive time to go japan obviously. so we went in autumn when the leaves were turning instead, which is just as pretty i found

Soldato
Can I just bump this thread for a quick yes/no question.

In 2020 my partner and I are planning our 'once in a lifetime' trip to Japan. There's still some debate about going in Spring or Fall (probably the latter as Spring is not too far away now)

But.....companies like Kuoni have a 12 day Japan tour, which is pretty expensive. About £5k each (but that does include flights to/from UK, all accommodation with at least breakfast, and often lunch or dinner....and of course a guide)

So the plus of this is that it removes the hassle of arranging and planning all the travel etc (but as I do that for my job anyway it'n not a major issue for me)

I guess the ultimate question would be if anyone has done anything similar, or people would thoroughly recommend planing it yourself?

First two times I went I went with Thomas Cook. It was expensive but a good trip both times. Since then I've always self organised. It really depends on how confident you are in your planning abilities and how much research you are willing to do.

Associate
We went last year and bought the Japan railpass (7 day). Super easy to get around. We got return flights to Tokyo and jumped on the bullet trains to our furthest destination (Miyajima Island/Hiroshima) and worked our way back to Tokyo. The cost of just going to Miyajima wasn't that far off the cost of the JPR so very good value. We only could do 10 nights in the end so 7 day worked out perfectly.

Didn't find it overly expensive compared to some places in Europe I've been although staying on Miyajima Island was the most expensive place for us.

Soldato
Chaps, one bit of advice please.....

In the end it looks like we are going on a cruise (this one https://www.celebritycruises.com/it...apan?packageID=ML14I130&sDT=2020-10-25&cCD=CO)

I'm not too sure what to think, as I have a dislike for cruises (despite never having been on one), but I do like the idea of waking up in a new city each day to explore. I think this trip will be a taster, and then we go back and do it 'properly', re-visiting the places we liked (and others).

But my question.....it departs from Tokyo. I will be arranging our own flights, so we have the possibility to fly out early and stay in Tokyo for a few days before the cruise starts.

So where would be best to stay for a few days, so we can get a good taster of the city (and Japan)? The city is huuuuge! So I have no idea what area would be best.

Thanks!

I have booked a flight and hotel to Tokyo this coming October.

The flight was £473. I am flying out from Gatwick via Shanghai and landing in Narita, but fly back from Haneda via Shanghai and land in Heathrow.
I found a hotel which looks like a fairly big chain fairly similar to the Premier Inns in the UK. £601 for 11 nights including breakfast.

I plan to take £1500 spending money on top. As I am one train ride from the Tokyo main station my aim is to have some day trips out of the city :).

Soldato
Booked my flights for October last week as I got a pretty reasonable deal on direct Heathrow - Haneda premium economy flights on JAL.

Need to finalise where I'm going and for how long and book some hotels

Soldato
So where would be best to stay for a few days, so we can get a good taster of the city (and Japan)? The city is huuuuge! So I have no idea what area would be best.

Anywhere that allows you to get on the Yamanote Line fairly easily, by that I mean even a 10-15 minute walk is acceptable. I'd suggest Shinjuku/Shibuya/Ginza or Tokyo Station area would be a good base for accommodation.

I'd recommend trying to experience a capsule hotel if you can, Ginza Bay is a good shout.

Places/areas to check out off the top of my head:

Sensoji Temple
Akihabara
Ueno Park
Harajuku (visit the Meiji-Jingu Shrine at the same time)
Imperial Palace
Shibuya crossing
Roppongi (if you want a nice view of Tokyo go to the Roppongi Hills complex and take the elevator to the 52nd floor of the Mori Tower)
Tsukiji Fish Market

Soldato
Man, i can't believe it's been 10 years since i went to Tokyo, still one of the best holidays i've ever had. Inching to go back but with a little one on the way it could be years away.

Back
Top Bottom