****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Associate
He was about to tell Rey that "he loved her, but we only have 14 hours to save the earth" and they we were to get 15 minutes of Brian Blessed laughing

Soldato
I'm sure Quentin Tarantino, Christopher Nolan etc just let the studio chop their films however they want :D
Neither of those directors make studio movies. They are treated as auteurs, it's very different from getting a director in to make a Star Wars movie.

Eg.Once Upon a Time.. has made $400m odd, Dunkirk made $500m odd.. but The Force Awakens made $2bn. It's in a different league. Not to mention the products, brand marketing etc that Disney rely on earning. You don't get dolls from Nolan films do you? You don't get a theme park? (Batman aside).

Soldato
Saw this tonight.

Speaks volumes really that I had no interest in going to see it (despite being a huge Star Wars fan, having watched all of the movies, all of the TV shows, most of the games, and read a bunch of the books). I went because the missus wanted to go.

I didn't enjoy TFA. I really disliked TLJ. This... it was in keeping with the tone of the other two. A disappointing end to a disappointing trilogy, though not quite as awful as I expected. I do find it quite amazing that they killed the EU, and stories like the "Heir Trilogy", only to produce this dumpster fire.

The bit I find most amusing is that the trilogy ends at essentially the same place as RotJ. The apprentice Jedi, having lost both of her teachers, defeats the Emperor with the help of her Sith counterpart, who sacrifices himself in an act of redemption. The Empire crumbles instantly, and the Rebel Alliance liberates the Galaxy. And the Jedi goes her own way, knowing that she is the last.

It's a huge waste considering all of the places they could have gone.

Last edited:
Soldato
The bit I find most amusing is that the trilogy ends at essentially the same place as RotJ. The apprentice Jedi, having lost both of her teachers, defeats the Emperor with the help of her Sith counterpart, who sacrifices himself in an act of redemption. The Empire crumbles instantly, and the Rebel Alliance liberates the Galaxy. And the Jedi goes her own way, knowing that she is the last.

Watched it last night and felt exactly the same, not a new film at all just a reboot of Return of the Jedi

Soldato
Saw this tonight.

Speaks volumes really that I had no interest in going to see it (despite being a huge Star Wars fan, having watched all of the movies, all of the TV shows, most of the games, and read a bunch of the books). I went because the missus wanted to go.

I didn't enjoy TFA. I really disliked TLJ. This... it was in keeping with the tone of the other two. A disappointing end to a disappointing trilogy, though not quite as awful as I expected. I do find it quite amazing that they killed the EU, and stories like the "Heir Trilogy", only to produce this dumpster fire.

It's a huge waste considering all of the places they could have gone.

Your post absolutely resonates, it is incredible, nay impossible to think back when Disney announced they had the original cast members signed up that this is what we would get. It is doubly incredible as you say based on the fact there is a wealth of great material in the EU to draw from. Unlike something like Game of Thrones that was universally discredited by it's awful writing come the end. Star Wars just prevails because people seem happy to lower their expectations and stay on-board.

As I have said before I walked out of the cinema after TFA just wishing SW had been left alone. The prequels could be put to one side for me because the original cast were not involved. But I left the cinema embarrassed for Harrison Ford. The moment Han asked Chewie to try his bowcaster as if he had never seen it before, my heart sank. It just showed the complete and utter contempt for the whole thing. Have Han fire it sure, but make the dialog so that he asks in a way that infers this is a thing they have done over the years while we haven't seen them. It implies the characters know their own universe and we get a kick out of them acting confidently inside it.

Once I heard how TLJ would do the same to Luke / Hamill I knew my Star Wars journey was done and they wouldn't be seeing any more of my money.

It's just a ridiculous situation, this trilogy had the foundation to have easily been the best of the three.

Last edited:
Your post absolutely resonates, it is incredible, nay impossible to think back when Disney announced they had the original cast members signed up that this is what we would get. It is doubly incredible as you say based on the fact there is a wealth of great material in the EU to draw from. Unlike something like Game of Thrones that was universally discredited by it's awful writing come the end. Star Wars just prevails because people seem happy to lower their expectations and stay on-board.

As I have said before I walked out of the cinema after TFA just wishing SW had been left alone. The prequels could be put to one side for me because the original cast were not involved. But I left the cinema embarrassed for Harrison Ford. The moment Han asked Chewie to try his bowcaster as if he had never seen it before, my heart sank. It just showed the complete and utter contempt for the whole thing.

Once I heard how TLJ would do the same to Luke / Hamill I knew my Star Wars journey was done and they wouldn't be seeing any more of my money.

It's just a ridiculous situation, this trilogy had the foundation to have easily been the best of the three.

What boggles my mind is the script Kasdan wrote for TFA, he wrote Empire ffs, he knows these characters, he could have gone in any direction with them. How much was meddling from Abrams or Disney, did they just constantly whisper "soft reboot" in his ear!?

What saddens me is all these new characters were great, really likable and you could tell they had good chemistry, but damn if the dialogue and story are turds then what can they do?

Caporegime
Neither of those directors make studio movies. They are treated as auteurs, it's very different from getting a director in to make a Star Wars movie.

Eg.Once Upon a Time.. has made $400m odd, Dunkirk made $500m odd.. but The Force Awakens made $2bn. It's in a different league. Not to mention the products, brand marketing etc that Disney rely on earning. You don't get dolls from Nolan films do you? You don't get a theme park? (Batman aside).

That's is a silly analogy. Two of Nolan's Batman films made 1B and were good films. Disney could have had Nolan direct all three and still get the same amount of money. Star Wars sells itself regardless of script.

Soldato
That's is a silly analogy. Two of Nolan's Batman films made 1B and were good films. Disney could have had Nolan direct all three and still get the same amount of money. Star Wars sells itself regardless of script.
As it has proven for bout 8 movies now if it says Star Wars it will get a massive box office regardless of how awful it is, they could have got Jar Jar Binx to direct and jaba to produce and still scored billions.

Soldato
It sells but the trajectory has definitely been downwards. I've seen a few projections saying that Disney have lost around $2bn on the franchise since they bought it. It appears that half-baked movies and insulting fans is not the way to go. Who could've known? :)
I'm a good example. I collected loads of Lego from all Ep 1-6 but nothing from the Disney era. Although that is mainly because all the ships designs have been terrible/boring. :)

Caporegime
It sells but the trajectory has definitely been downwards. I've seen a few projections saying that Disney have lost around $2bn on the franchise since they bought it.

This seems unlikely. TFA and TLJ are two of the highest grossing films ever, TROS is expected to clear the $1bn mark. Rogue One also edged over the $1bn mark. Only Solo flopped at the Box Office. I'm not sure how success on that scale can translate into a loss?

Soldato
Then add in all the licensing e.g. Lego, Food tie ins, their own merchandise, theme parks etc. Not only that they will own the IP which they could sell for £b.

Soldato
I've seen a few projections saying that Disney have lost around $2bn on the franchise since they bought it. It appears that half-baked movies and insulting fans is not the way to go. Who could've known? :)
Where do you get this nonsense from? Disney made back the $4bn after Solo, and that's not including all the franchising, theme parks and home ent products which are probably more than the global box office anyway; https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/30/six...sfilm-disney-has-recouped-its-investment.html

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom