Car gets damp / frozen windscreen internally

Soldato
Hi all, my car gets very damp on the windscreen internally. If its a damp morning (car is parked in the street at night), damp will be on the inside of the screen, this will also freeze on very cold mornings and takes ages to clear.

The car has had a new air / pollen filter so in theory it shouldn't be that (as I've heard old blocked filters can cause condensation inside cabins)

Is it going to be something like the seal for the windscreen? I notice it isn't the original glass but I've never had it replaced since I've owned the car. Is there anything I can check / do? I bought a few dehumidifiers to leave on my dashboard at night but they don't do a lot.

its a ten year old car, is this just part and parcel of owning an older car?

Caporegime
There will be moisture getting into the car somehow, either a window/door seal, aerial, sunroof, etc. Could also be something like a pinhole in the heater core, or a failed o-ring between the heater core and the hoses that pass through the bulkhead.

Essentially, no its not just part of owning an older vehicle, there will likely be something you can do about it.

Associate
Check under the mats front and rear for damp, check in the boot for damp as that much condensation will show up on the inside. If it is your heater matrix you will smell sweet. Once you find the damp trace it back to the source. What car is it as some have history of leaks like the Focus if the pollen filter it put in wrong.

Associate
As others have said, there is a source of moisture on the inside of your car for the condensation to build up sufficiently to be on the inside! I guess being on the street it's not feasible to run a dehumidifier out to it over night to help alleviate some of the moisutre.

Soldato
Older Honda Jazz are notorious for this, caused by cracks in seals either side of the boot hatch where the roof strips meet it; other cars might have similar design laws.

Associate
Silica is just masking a problem though surely. I have never had a car damp issues in a car that were not caused by a leaky seal/screen/whatever letting in water. Even my old Cortina was bone dry even in the winter and that was before air con was even around.

Soldato
Silica is just masking a problem though surely. I have never had a car damp issues in a car that were not caused by a leaky seal/screen/whatever letting in water. Even my old Cortina was bone dry even in the winter and that was before air con was even around.
Probably yea, but it solves a problem.

Back
Top Bottom