Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Soldato
You don't have to pay for any consumer item you don't like.

Of course I do. Do you think the directors pay for R+D personally? They recoup the costs through their other products. Additionally, one company working on a folding phone might bin it if it doesn't work. We've got like 6 working on them, so they're going to reach market by hook or by crook. They'll start to reduce the other products until the gimmicky folding phone is the only reasonable option. I'll quote this in 3 years when it's the case.

Caporegime
Of course I do. Do you think the directors pay for R+D personally? They recoup the costs through their other products. Additionally, one company working on a folding phone might bin it if it doesn't work. We've got like 6 working on them, so they're going to reach market by hook or by crook. They'll start to reduce the other products until the gimmicky folding phone is the only reasonable option. I'll quote this in 3 years when it's the case.

They aren't gimmicky at all.

You have a normal phone sized screen. And you can fold it out into a tablet.

So you kill 2 birds with one stone.

You will no longer need a tablet if these take off and you can then instead of buying a tablet and a phone buy both in one so cheaper once they become mainstream.

Imagine being on a train and you can whip out your phone then open it up and watch a movie on a big screen.

They will become thinner and better with time also. So I don't see what the gimmick is tbh.

Soldato
I wouldn't like to stick that long thick object in my pocket that's for sure.

;)

I don't understand. You literally don't have to buy a phone if you don't want one. There are people out there who don't own phones, or can still use and purchase phones like this - which have been around since the dawn of mobile phones.

Besides, when the folding phone is the only reasonable option, perhaps it will be for good reason? The market decided 3D and curved TV's were gimmicky, and they haven't taken off for that reason.

I'll buy a product if it fits my needs, if I desire it, and if I can afford it. I don't particularly care about the R&D costs that were incurred by the company beforehand, or afterwards, it's whether or not the product suits my needs at the time. Surely every new product could be considered a gimmick on its inception?

Soldato
Some people do talk rubbish. "This product serves no purpose to me, so it shouldn't exist!" rage, rage rage...

Who said that?

If you mean me, what I actually said was "I don't think this is a problem that needs solving, and I lament the direction it is being taken. These costs for a product that I think is unnecessary will be recouped somehow, and eventually all products will be this way". I'm not raging, and I wouldn't for a second suggest that just because I don't like something it means it shouldn't exist. I am at my absolute liberty to disagree with you and everyone else about the usefulness of a thing.

Shrug

Soldato
Bought a simplisafe security system as their private sale over christmas had a very good offer on. Also finally picked up a Nest Hello.

Everything boxed up:
28rVXR8.jpg

Unpacked:
sdoVBbZ.jpg

That's my evening sorted.

Soldato
Bought a simplisafe security system as their private sale over christmas had a very good offer on. Also finally picked up a Nest Hello.

Everything boxed up:

I would be interested to know how you get on with it. I have been waiting for Nest to release the Secure over here but it doesn't look like it will be happening anytime soon.
I really like the look of the Ring Alarm, however I have already got a Nest Thermostat, Smoke detector and various Google Home devices and the Ring is Alexa only (for full functionality apparently)

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Don

Everything boxed up:

My only concern with a system like that is you don't have any external indication that you have an alarm system. The most useful part of an alarm system is warning intruders that you have one and to discourage them from breaking in to begin with (the same as external video cameras).

Once they are inside, alarm or not they are going to raid for jewellery and cash and get out as quick as possible.

Our village has suffered a spate of break-ins over the last couple of months so I've been installing a number of security measures too (external CCTV, an internal safe etc). An alarm system is next on my list.

Soldato
My neighbour proudly shows their simplisafe shield in the garden between our front doors, so I set my hallway hue light to dim to blue to match the retina burning blue the base station illuminates the door windows with when active.

Soldato
I would be interested to know how you get on with it. I have been waiting for Nest to release the Secure over here but it doesn't look like it will be happening anytime soon.
I really like the look of the Ring Alarm, however I have already got a Nest Thermostat, Smoke detector and various Google Home devices and the Ring is Alexa only (for full functionality apparently)

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

I'll post in one of the smart alarm threads in the Home & Garden section in about a month to review my usage.

Yeah i would have loved the Nest Secure, but after reading that they were supposed to have released it into the UK early 2019, and now we're early 2020 and i couldn't find any reliable sources to confirm a UK release date, it could still be another year or 2.
I too did quite like the look of the Ring alarm, the monthly fee is quite a small amount as well, but overall the system is lacking in sensors/accessories (i suspect more will come in the future), plus additional sensors were quite expensive.

Whilst Simplisafe monitoring is very expensive in comparison, what swayed me was the range of sensors/accessories available, and the cost of additional sensors/accessories for future expansion. The monitoring plan also covers environmental monitoring, hence i added a smoke alarm to the system. Will also look at the water/freeze sensors in the future.

What was in the above picture should have been just over £500, but picked it up for just over £300.

My only concern with a system like that is you don't have any external indication that you have an alarm system. The most useful part of an alarm system is warning intruders that you have one and to discourage them from breaking in to begin with (the same as external video cameras).

Once they are inside, alarm or not they are going to raid for jewellery and cash and get out as quick as possible.

Our village has suffered a spate of break-ins over the last couple of months so I've been installing a number of security measures too (external CCTV, an internal safe etc). An alarm system is next on my list.

Yep that's definitely a fair point, and luckily for me i've got an old system to remove, so will leave the bellbox outside as a deterrent. I did read as part of my research that Simplisafe do have an external siren/bellbox in the works which i believe is planned for this year. So that should eventually cross out a negative for Simplisafe.

Soldato
I'm not raging

Sure, but you said you hate it.

what I actually said was "I don't think this is a problem that needs solving, and I lament the direction it is being taken. These costs for a product that I think is unnecessary will be recouped somehow

And I showed you a version of a modern phone for a tenner. You don't have to be a part of the machine. I do, however, look forward to your post in January 2023 where folding phones are the only option to buy a phone and they have to be expensive. Bookmarked :p

and eventually all products will be this way"

Again, I showed you a phone that doesn't resemble modern phones, and for a tenner.

Similarly you can get a decent smart phone for less than £250.

I am at my absolute liberty to disagree with you and everyone else about the usefulness of a thing.

And we are at our absolute liberty to mock your grumpy old sod nature :D

Soldato
My neighbour proudly shows their simplisafe shield in the garden between our front doors, so I set my hallway hue light to dim to blue to match the retina burning blue the base station illuminates the door windows with when active.

:D Yeah i noticed it was very American to have a "yard sign". I'm not sure i'll bother sticking out in the front garden, it'll probably just entice someone to nick it for the fun of it.

Soldato
Sure, but you said you hate it.

I didn't though did i.

Edit: don't ;) reply, you seem to be :p getting really worked up and I'm kinda done with this since it's like hitting my head against a wall. All youre :D going to do is take a thing :) I said, miss the point and type the opposite thing in response. I regret typing anything, it's so pointless isn't it? :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit: don't reply, you seem to be getting really worked up and I'm kinda done with this since it's like hitting my head against a wall .... I regret typing anything, it's so pointless isn't it?

I like this strategy. Maybe I should try it? I don't think you get to decide if someone replies to you tbf, you deciding yourself to not reply would be the way to go :) Also, he doesn't look to be getting worked up to me, smilies indicate he's having a good time :p

Back
Top Bottom