50th Birthday short break suggestions

Soldato
My wife is turning 50 next Feb (2021) and I want to start planning a getaway for us all (me, her, and our two kids 14 and 12).

I'm thinking along the lines of a quirky place to stay for 3 or 4 nights (tree house, lighthouse, windmill) or pushing the boat out and going to try and see the northern lights (something I know she has longed to do).

So do any of you have any solid 5 star recommendations for either a place to stay that you know of or a hotel/package/airbnb that would be suitable.

I really want this to be a bit special so don't be too scared of budget up to £4k for something really special.

Cheers all !

Soldato
Caporegime
My wife is turning 50 next Feb (2021) and I want to start planning a getaway for us all (me, her, and our two kids 14 and 12).

I'm thinking along the lines of a quirky place to stay for 3 or 4 nights (tree house, lighthouse, windmill) or pushing the boat out and going to try and see the northern lights (something I know she has longed to do).

So do any of you have any solid 5 star recommendations for either a place to stay that you know of or a hotel/package/airbnb that would be suitable.

I really want this to be a bit special so don't be too scared of budget up to £4k for something really special.

Cheers all !

You’ve answered your own question, great for all of you I’d have thought.

Soldato
How wedded are you to taking the kids along ? Wife and I both turned 50 a couple of years ago and we went to New York for 5 days. Grandparents came to stay while we were away and did the school runs and fed and watered the children. Yours are both school age so you are already bending over with no lube for any dates during holidays - if its just you and the wife a lot more possibilities open up.

Soldato
A few driving tips
While 4 wheel drive isn't absolutely needed I would personally get it
And make sure it's got winter tyres
Can also upgrade that to studded tyres depending on weather conditions where you plan to drive etc
They drive on the right hand side
Headlights must always be on even during the day
Most cars are manual if you need automatic it will cost more and give you less choice
Sounds weird in a country like Iceland but off roading is illegal
Don't drink and drive not even 1 beer the blood alcohol limit is way way lower than the UK and they have absolutely no tolerance for drink driving
Roads classed as in the Highlands will be closed in winter and clearly marked so
Driving on them when marked closed is illegal even if some locals do it anyway they usually have severely capable 4 wheel drives not just something like a qashqai 4wd
Again getting caught doing it won't be tolerated and you will get fined
There's an app/or website with all closed roads and weather reports etc you can input the points you want to drive to/from and it will give advice
Not just snow and ice hazards you really must watch for cross winds too
If staying in say Reykjavik and you don't feel confident to drive you can of course get a tour to places and let them deal with the driving
Hope that helps and probably made it sound worse than it is
A lot depends on how confident a driver you are and whether you have experience of bad weather conditions
Being Scottish I am used to snow and ice lol but some people definitely are clueless when it comes to driving in a little snow. A heavy right foot is not your friend in snowy conditions lol

Soldato
OP
Great stuff @Mcnumpty2323

I remember trying to drive home from work in a Caterham 7 after a couple of inches of fresh snow. insta-wheelspin in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd if I wasn't super gentle.

I grew up on the Welsh border up a hill so pretty used to driving in poor conditions.

really appreciate the advice.

Associate
I stayed in a fosshotel in the city center which was nice and conveniently located to walk around most of the town centre.

The church hallgrimskirkja you can go up the tower for a small fee which has great views around the city.

The hot water being geothermal has a sulphur smell to it.

Soldato
Great stuff @Mcnumpty2323

I remember trying to drive home from work in a Caterham 7 after a couple of inches of fresh snow. insta-wheelspin in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd if I wasn't super gentle.

I grew up on the Welsh border up a hill so pretty used to driving in poor conditions.

really appreciate the advice.
Happy if it helped you
My step son found it no problem though he's an ex bus driver so should in theory at least be pretty competent lol
The not even one beer was bit of a bummer for him but think Iceland is like the scandanavian countries possibly ie alcohol is severely expensive so saved him money in the long run lol
Caterham 7 very nice
Guess some people would think that would handle snow well as its light and got reasonably wide tyres
But actually heavier and relatively narrow tires can better in snow~depending on the depth~it's a bit like driving on the beach where the sand is dry~light with really wide tyres might look good on a beach buggy but a lot of power gets lost just spraying sand everywhere ~heavier with relatively narrow tyres compresses the sand giving a firmer surface beneath the wheels ~though still got to take it nice and easy to get it moving obviously
Being Scottish luckily I have seen the northern lights without having to go abroad I believe its a very rare event to see them further south though does sometimes happen.
My stepson loved Iceland pretty unique place and one of the cleanest places he's been and he travels an awful lot. The northern lights were just the icing on the cake for him he would still have loved it even if had not seen them~as its not guaranteed you will see them even at best times of the year
Sorry about sporadic answers am still struggling with 15 posts limit in 24 hours for new members. Though mods /admins have been very helpful today and fingers crossed may be fixed tomorrow. So if I don't answer replies that's why not that lost interest in your post lol

Soldato

Cheers all !

Go to Iceland while your children are still too young to drink alcohol.
/thread.

Back
Top Bottom