*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
Thinking about a Sonos playbar for the gaming room/spare bedroom as it can be wall mounted to be quite thin against the wall. How good is it by itself for TV? And how does everyone deal with it not being able to handle DTS sound?

It'll only be used for PC gaming so I think I can control not to send DTS from that and streaming apps are all Dolby anyway so I don't think I have an issue there either but would like some confirmation!

Associate
Linked up the Ones as Surrounds last night.

Pros: Sounds amazing. Cons. Need to buy an additional SL to move the other One into the kitchen. Then buy some stands.

This is getting expensive.

Soldato
Thinking about a Sonos playbar for the gaming room/spare bedroom as it can be wall mounted to be quite thin against the wall. How good is it by itself for TV? And how does everyone deal with it not being able to handle DTS sound?

It'll only be used for PC gaming so I think I can control not to send DTS from that and streaming apps are all Dolby anyway so I don't think I have an issue there either but would like some confirmation!
Sounds pretty good but not 'mind blowing' The sub takes it to another level, though.

Soldato
Sounds pretty good but not 'mind blowing' The sub takes it to another level, though.

Thanks for the info - I suspected as much. Think I may go with something else perhaps. There's not much choice though when it comes to wall mounted with similar depth profile, though. May go for Sony HT-XF9000 as it's the bar that is 'supposed' to go with my Sony XF9005 TV and has the same 8.5cm depth as Sonos Playbar when wall mounted while also coming with a dedicated wireless sub. I guess I'd save some £ too in comparison and get a lot more functionality on audio codecs supported (though how well it outputs them could be dubious). My HT-ST5000 in the living room does a great job, though.

Soldato
Thanks for the info - I suspected as much. Think I may go with something else perhaps. There's not much choice though when it comes to wall mounted with similar depth profile, though. May go for Sony HT-XF9000 as it's the bar that is 'supposed' to go with my Sony XF9005 TV and has the same 8.5cm depth as Sonos Playbar when wall mounted while also coming with a dedicated wireless sub. I guess I'd save some £ too in comparison and get a lot more functionality on audio codecs supported (though how well it outputs them could be dubious). My HT-ST5000 in the living room does a great job, though.

LG Bluetooth/Wi-Fi Sound Bar with Meridian Technology, High Resolution Audio, Dolby Atmos & Wireless Subwoofer

any good to you ?

Soldato
LG Bluetooth/Wi-Fi Sound Bar with Meridian Technology, High Resolution Audio, Dolby Atmos & Wireless Subwoofer

any good to you ?

Looked at the dimensions, sadly not, it's too deep. Due to the gap between wall and bed in the gaming room, trying to keep it as close to the wall as possible. The Sony KD49XF9005 tv sticks out 8cms with the mount I've got as well as being a full array local dimming tv it has more depth than edge lit tvs, so a soundbar around that depth + a cm for wall bracket is perfect. I find most soundbars are too deep. Sonos is one of very few that are approximately the right depth when mounted 8.5cms so was considering it. Think the Sony is same depth as well as being able to be held solely by 2 screws rather than a bracket so that is relatively decent idea I'm considering and will probably go for.

Soldato
Had the Sony HT-XF9000 until I decided to go multi-room and bought the Beam.

Good little bar-no complaints from me.
This is generally true for most modern soundbars from the big brands especially those with a dedicated sub, I know someone will come along and say they are poo compared to a 5k Dolby Atmos setup and yes that is true but for an awful lot of people a decent soundbar and sub will not only be all they really need/want but also the best TV sound they have ever heard it will be leaps and bounds above the rubbish currently integrated into super thin TV's

Soldato
Few questions from someone who knows nothing about Sonos and is looking at an Ikea SYMFONISK for the kitchen:

1. I have all my music on a Synology NAS and I use Minim UPNP. I gather this wouldn't work, so I would need to share (SMB/CIFS) the music to allow the sonos app to play it? How would it handles hi-res music? Would it downsample it to 16/44 and play it or would it just be unable to deal with it at all?
Dunno
2. Can I get BBC radio stations on it through the sonos app (I have a house full of Android Devices)

Thanks

Dave
Yeah, you can get any digital radio station no problem.
I listen to a random French one that’s internet only, and it was simply a case of telling Sonos the URL and now it’s in my list of stations along side normal DAB stations.

Man of Honour
This is generally true for most modern soundbars from the big brands especially those with a dedicated sub, I know someone will come along and say they are poo compared to a 5k Dolby Atmos setup and yes that is true but for an awful lot of people a decent soundbar and sub will not only be all they really need/want but also the best TV sound they have ever heard it will be leaps and bounds above the rubbish currently integrated into super thin TV's
Correct, not everyone has the space for a proper 5.1 or above setup.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Linked up the Ones as Surrounds last night.

Pros: Sounds amazing. Cons. Need to buy an additional SL to move the other One into the kitchen. Then buy some stands.

This is getting expensive.
This is what I did post Black Friday - Beam centre front (already had) and bought two SLs and Flexson stands as rears. Not the best positioning due to the room constraints but it adds so much more depth to the sound, it's fantastic!

Associate
This is what I did post Black Friday - Beam centre front (already had) and bought two SLs and Flexson stands as rears. Not the best positioning due to the room constraints but it adds so much more depth to the sound, it's fantastic!

I managed to source a pair of Flexson stands as well-very nice indeed.

The Sonos stuff has gone back up in price now so will wait until the next sale on them before splashing out again, but very happy with what I’ve got so far.

Back
Top Bottom