Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes

Caporegime
I don't think it was all that funny, basically just saying what we have all been saying on the internet for the past bunch of months. Guess having the balls to say it to that lot is something, but in general a bit of a damp squib imo.

Associate
I'd like to give it a watch given the response but I cannot stomach him at all, he's just such an arrogant tosspiece with the comedic talent of a bent spoon.

Caporegime
But seriously, it's one thing to not like a comedian, that's fine. But to say Gervais has the comedic talent of a bent spoon is about as accurate as saying Robert De Niro should never have been an actor.

I disagree, comedy is significantly more subjective than acting in general. I also don't find Ricky funny at all, not his stand up, not his shows, not his films.

Associate
But seriously, it's one thing to not like a comedian, that's fine. But to say Gervais has the comedic talent of a bent spoon is about as accurate as saying Robert De Niro should never have been an actor.

Realistically it's just my opinion of what is funny or what is not, as krooton said it's very subjective. To me, Gervais is about as funny as a bent spoon, considering your reaction to this matter i'd say you may find him perhaps as funny as a straight spoon, or maybe he's your favourite comedian. Again, fine, this is your opinion and like your butthole you are welcome to it.

What I find funny you may not find funny at all, your insinuation that because I find Gervais unfunny it therefore must carry that I find Alan Carr etc funny is your opinion. That's fine, but it's provably wrong.

Soldato
I disagree, comedy is significantly more subjective than acting in general.

You're misunderstanding. Someone can dislike an actor or actress as much as they might dislike a comedian. In both cases it's subjective and that's fine. There's plenty of actors I don't rate. That does not mean they're lacking in talent.

Likewise, Alan Carr, John Bishop and Michael McIntyre are obviously all talented, but I find them to be comedy for the masses; the sun newspaper of comedy. :p As opposed to the likes of Ricky Gervais and Steve Coogan who are imo the broadsheets of comedy. A lot of people just don't get them and then say they're rubbish.

Caporegime
You're misunderstanding. Someone can dislike an actor or actress as much as they might dislike a comedian. In both cases it's subjective and that's fine. There's plenty of actors I don't rate. That does not mean they're lacking in talent.

Likewise, Alan Carr, John Bishop and Michael McIntyre are obviously all talented, but I find them to be comedy for the masses; the sun newspaper of comedy. :p As opposed to the likes of Ricky Gervais and Steve Coogan who are imo the broadsheets of comedy. A lot of people just don't get them and then say they're rubbish.

Getting/understanding comedy doesn't mean it is funny to you though.

I dislike Gervais' delivery, the somewhat smug "aren't I witty" air he has about him. When people suggested listening to his podcasts with Merchant and Pilkington, I found he ruined them, laughing at his own jokes with faux incredulousness.

Pilkington and, to a lesser extent, Merchant are funnier without him, imo.

But then I prefer more surrealist humour (Ross Noble, Eddie Izzard, Sean Lock) or people who tell good stories.

Soldato
I don't think it was all that funny, basically just saying what we have all been saying on the internet for the past bunch of months. Guess having the balls to say it to that lot is something, but in general a bit of a damp squib imo.
Perhaps come back when you've written and produced multiple award-winning and seminal (whether you like it or not) sitcoms, done many stand-up shows, movies, podcasts.. But nah, it's almost the same typing it on a computer forum on the internet :rolleyes: :p lol

Soldato
Lol, are you serious? I bet you think Alan Carr, John Bishop and Michael McIntyre are hilarious.
McIntyre isn't bad, TBH. Obviously his mainstream stuff is tailored for a specific audience, but he is far funnier if you meet him in person.
However, Ricky Gervais is from Reading... That alone should prove there is absolutely nothing even remotely funny about him, and he only thinks he's something special.

Caporegime
OP

That's what makes it good. It's refreshing to see someone go against the grain in the public eye and call out these Hollywood scumbags for what they are. People are talking about it, agreeing with it, and if it makes the elites uncomfortable (which judging by some of their faces, I'd say it did) then that's great.

Caporegime
Perhaps come back when you've written and produced multiple award-winning and seminal (whether you like it or not) sitcoms, done many stand-up shows, movies, podcasts.. But nah, it's almost the same typing it on a computer forum on the internet :rolleyes: :p lol
Classic trope that. Ps. I also think Pitbull is a terrible musician, but he's a millionaire so it is what it is. :p

Caporegime
That's what makes it good. It's refreshing to see someone go against the grain in the public eye and call out these Hollywood scumbags for what they are. People are talking about it, agreeing with it, and if it makes the elites uncomfortable (which judging by some of their faces, I'd say it did) then that's great.

Thing is, I didn't find anything all that 'scathing'. Not so much this thread, but other parts of the Internet are bigging it up as a hilarious roast, and him really sticking it to those hollywooders.

Maybe I'd find it funnier if I was in "Oh no he didn't" shock, but I just heard some vaguely amusing comments that I have already almost forgotten, in fact only the Leo/Irishman joke has stuck in my head.

Soldato
What can you do to tell if someone doesn't like Ricky Gervais? Absolutely nothing, they will let you know by themselves without any assistance whatsoever. :)

Soldato
I never used to like Gervais as i didn't realise The Office was a parody!! (only ever saw brief clips which used to make me cringe).

But then i watched Life's Too Short, Derek, Afterlife, Extras and some of his tweets/comments etc, he's actually a very talented and funny guy.

For me, James Corden, many rave about him, but as soon as i see his face the TV goes off.; Gervais just has a style that grates on some.

Associate
Some people think that Gervais stuff is completely new.. He has done this four times previously when he did the same thing in ripping into the actors (and everyone else) at the Golden Globes. It's good, but it isn't particularly new is it?

Back
Top Bottom