£1000 Ultrawide Monitor

Associate
Yeah fair play. I've been struggling with the exact same decision between the two for the last few weeks. Given that they're the same panel, i'm sure both will be excellent. For some the 5 year warranty will be worth more, for others the exta 24Hz is more valuable. Don't think there's a wrong choice to be fair (although i'm sure @aoaaron will disagree and make the case for OLED :p)

I'm almost tempted to order the Dell as well and compare the 2 myself. That way I can keep the one I prefer and move on the other!

Associate
I'm almost tempted to order the Dell as well and compare the 2 myself. That way I can keep the one I prefer and move on the other!

lol I was just thinking the exact same thing about the LG. Only thing that stopped me is if I preferred the AW then it'd probably be quite expensive to return the LG to OcUK. Honestly though if the LG 38GL950G is released here in the next couple of weeks I might just do exactly that and compare it.

Associate
Does anyone know for certain if the AW3420DW has the updated Gsync module that will allow AMD cards to use Freesync on this monitor? I have started up a web chat with Dell and they say it does.

Soldato
lol I was just thinking the exact same thing about the LG. Only thing that stopped me is if I preferred the AW then it'd probably be quite expensive to return the LG to OcUK. Honestly though if the LG 38GL950G is released here in the next couple of weeks I might just do exactly that and compare it.

I just picked up the AW3420DW - very nice screen so no regrets from me!

Caporegime
Does anyone know for certain if the AW3420DW has the updated Gsync module that will allow AMD cards to use Freesync on this monitor? I have started up a web chat with Dell and they say it does.

I think it's more a firmware issue rather than the module itself, so technically they could be both right and wrong with their answer.

Soldato
Yeah fair play. I've been struggling with the exact same decision between the two for the last few weeks. Given that they're the same panel, i'm sure both will be excellent. For some the 5 year warranty will be worth more, for others the exta 24Hz is more valuable. Don't think there's a wrong choice to be fair (although i'm sure @aoaaron will disagree and make the case for OLED :p)

Haha. I’d probably go for a AW318DW and pocket the change as for 24hz, might as well put the saved 400-500 towards a more meaningful upgrade.

Man of Honour
I think it's more a firmware issue rather than the module itself, so technically they could be both right and wrong with their answer.
Just noticed this is a viable option instead of the LG. But Freesync is the deal breaker or deal maker for me. I thought that Freesync was only available on the new GSync modules? If it's available on this monitor then I think that's my decision made.

Caporegime
Just noticed this is a viable option instead of the LG. But Freesync is the deal breaker or deal maker for me. I thought that Freesync was only available on the new GSync modules? If it's available on this monitor then I think that's my decision made.

This monitor has been out months that's the problem, and the FS feature only just announced so I'm very doubtful it will.

Man of Honour
This monitor has been out months that's the problem, and the FS feature only just announced so I'm very doubtful it will.
Thanks. I may just wait until the AW3421DW (or whatever it's going to be called) next year then. I'm well overdue an upgrade but I can hang on for now. It would be ideal to have a GSync and Freesync compatible monitor so there is no question of compatibility to red or green in the future.

Associate
Which would include a 2070 super?

It's just I don't seem to be able to see a comparable monitor to this (3440 x 1440 @ 144 hz) with G-Sync as they all seem to be 120 or 100hz. Would that lower rate make that much of a difference?

I would consider one of these new monitors, all running 144 Hz, with Samsungs new VA-panel with a fraction of the price.

• Xiaomi Mi Surface Display 34
  • Nixeus EDG 34
  • Lenovo G34w
  • AOC CU34G2X
I myself went for the Xiaomi for just 450$.

Associate
I would consider one of these new monitors, all running 144 Hz, with Samsungs new VA-panel with a fraction of the price.

• Xiaomi Mi Surface Display 34
  • Nixeus EDG 34
  • Lenovo G34w
  • AOC CU34G2X
I myself went for the Xiaomi for just 450$.
But where can we buy one of those in the UK? I searched for both the Xiaomi and the Nixeus, without luck.

Last edited:
Soldato
But where can we buy one of those in the UK? I searched for both the Xiaomi and the Nixeus, without luck.

The AOC and the Lenovo models have not been released yet you can find details on those in these articles.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/aoc-cu34g2x-with-34-ultrawide-va-panel-and-144hz-refresh-rate/
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/lenovo-g34w-with-34-ultrawide-1440p-panel-and-144hz/

I don't believe the other two model are available in the uk anyway and probably wont be.

Last edited:
Associate
The AOC and the Lenovo models have not been released yet you can find details on those in these articles.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/aoc-cu34g2x-with-34-ultrawide-va-panel-and-144hz-refresh-rate/
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/lenovo-g34w-with-34-ultrawide-1440p-panel-and-144hz/

I don't believe the other two model are available in the uk anyway and probably wont be.
If only those were released in December dang it, I would have gone for one of those instead of the Samsung I got.

Back
Top Bottom