MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Associate
With nothing more than regular maintenance the Mazda BP will still be here when there's nothing but cockroaches left.

I doubled the power output of my 1.8 starting with 105k miles and that survived 15k miles of abuse until it expired due to user error

Good to know! I know the mx5 is known overall as a good drivers car, but the mk1 being the pinnacle from what I can gather. Are the later models also good driver cars? (if you've owned them!)

Man of Honour
Good to know! I know the mx5 is known overall as a good drivers car, but the mk1 being the pinnacle from what I can gather. Are the later models also good driver cars? (if you've owned them!)

The mk1 is the pinnacle in a lot of peoples eyes because it felt the most raw, they're all fantastic drivers cars.

The MK1 isn't the best one from a capability perspective though.

I've only owned a Mk2, but have driven every generation, personally a late MK3 is my favourite

Associate
The mk1 is the pinnacle in a lot of peoples eyes because it felt the most raw, they're all fantastic drivers cars.

The MK1 isn't the best one from a capability perspective though.

I've only owned a Mk2, but have driven every generation, personally a late MK3 is my favourite

Great, thanks for your insight into the matter! Looks like I should be organising a test drive before deciding on the next motor!

Man of Honour
Great, thanks for your insight into the matter! Looks like I should be organising a test drive before deciding on the next motor!

Depends on how fussed you are on such things but if the budget allows I'd strongly suggest looking at getting into a mk3 as the interior is a big step forward and feels somewhat modern. The mk2/2.5 feel every bit their age now

Associate
Depends on how fussed you are on such things but if the budget allows I'd strongly suggest looking at getting into a mk3 as the interior is a big step forward and feels somewhat modern. The mk2/2.5 feel every bit their age now
I was only considering the mx5 due to the low entrance cost tbh, whilst I could afford one of the MK3 models I just want to scratch an itch more than anything, and they're quite readily available! It's possible I may need to consider running two cars since they are wildly impractical (not sure i'm going to get my fishing gear in an mx5!)

Man of Honour
I was only considering the mx5 due to the low entrance cost tbh, whilst I could afford one of the MK3 models I just want to scratch an itch more than anything, and they're quite readily available! It's possible I may need to consider running two cars since they are wildly impractical (not sure i'm going to get my fishing gear in an mx5!)
In that case a tidy MK2.5 is probably ideal then.

They're far more practical than you'd imagine depending what you're doing. Perfect for moving long items like fishing rods on a summers day with the roof down

Soldato
@akaFonzie, you should be able to pick up an early Mk3 sport for around 3 grand. I was looking at them before I found a nice Mk2.5 4 miles away which swung my decision. I'd have loved a black or grey Mk3 sport with the folding hard top though, I think they look so smart. The sport has nicer looking 17" wheels, heated leather seats and an LSD. If you're lucky you may be able to find one with cruise control too.

As Frozennova said, they are more practical than you think. It's surprising how much you can fit in an MX5 when the need arises.

Soldato
For camping we managed to squeeze in:

3 person tent
Double airbed
2 sleeping bags
2 folding chairs
Bbq
5 litre water container
Food and drink
Clothes
Picnic blanket
Fishing kit (travel)

DSC-4106-2.jpg

Soldato
haha, impromtu unplanned trip away for 4 days around Cumbria and Yorkshire so wanted to make sure I was well prepared.

Utterly amazing trip though, I didn't plan a route at all (other than to drive the B6276 in Brough). I just knew where I wanted to pitch up at the end of each day, how I got there was all part of the fun. This was taken at 8am somewhere near Buttermere.

mx5camping03.jpg

Going to do something similar this year but will have a better idea of what I do and don't need to take with me, hah :)

Soldato
In that case a tidy MK2.5 is probably ideal then.

They're far more practical than you'd imagine depending what you're doing. Perfect for moving long items like fishing rods on a summers day with the roof down

I can vouch for all of this.

I live in between Newcastle and Whitley Bay and love fly fishing.

I had (am converting to an Exocet) a 2.5 Sport which I supercharged. Ran it daily for a year at 200whp and only gave up due to fuel consumption. Otherwise with heated seats and an amazing heating system it was really quite practical.

Fly rods will fit across the back parcel shelf and the boot is cavernous compared to what you might imagine.

Pay a premium for something that is guaranteed to be rust free in the rails and rear arches and you'll be good for years engine wise.

Otherwise they're 10 a penny and an easy swap.

Soldato
haha, impromtu unplanned trip away for 4 days around Cumbria and Yorkshire so wanted to make sure I was well prepared.

Utterly amazing trip though, I didn't plan a route at all (other than to drive the B6276 in Brough). I just knew where I wanted to pitch up at the end of each day, how I got there was all part of the fun. This was taken at 8am somewhere near Buttermere.

mx5camping03.jpg

Going to do something similar this year but will have a better idea of what I do and don't need to take with me, hah :)

I did this in my DC2 Integra in Wales. Just drove for a week and Googled a campsite when it was near to bed time!

Associate
Looks like I need to go have a look at one armed with a tape measure then! The mk3 sounds like it may be the better option, however there are very few near me with hardtop and such for < £5-6k, and i'd rather be closer to £3-4k if possible!

Wiki thinks the mk3 started in 2005, is that wrong? The 2006 I mentioned was referred to as 2.5, I guess unofficially there's a different way of referring to them?

Associate
Went and had a look at an 03 Sport, 1.8 @ 100k, 6 speed, LSD, hard & soft top today. The old boy that owns it has remedied the chassis legs (he makes exhausts for track and other cars so is decent at welding). Bodywork is okay, Has some surface rust here and there but overall not bad. Needs the cambelt doing, but it's fairly cheap from what I can tell. Was a hoot to drive, made me reminisce about my first cars (minis). Only problem really was the non-adjustable steering wheel as muh fat thighs make it a bit tight. Think I might go for it though, cost is about half of what I lost on my M135i over 18 months of ownership :/

Soldato
There are 3 of us doing it. Hoping to get it done by the summer. Just the basic engine to get it IVA'ed then turbo it after a few track days. must have spent two hours last night looking at mk Indy MX5 kits and chopping in my GT-Four!

Doable TBF, especially if you've got any experience at all and a half decent donor. Neither of which I did.

Back
Top Bottom