Macbook Pro performance comparison

Associate
I have an ageing 2015 13" MBP that I put in a 1TB NVME SSD.

I was thinking of buying a portable PC as I am moving, but I figured I could sell my MBP and get a new one. I also have student discount still available for another year.

What do you guys recommend for performance comparison? Ideally I would like to know how much more the best 15/16" performs over the 13" best one?

What sites can I use to compare, would be good to mow if the 2019/2018 model is still contending today.

Soldato
Doesn't this depend hugely on what you're doing on the machine? I'm still very happily using my 15" 2015 rMBP, but I very much doubt it would handle gaming of any significance for example. I'm most concerned about the fact that if mine were to break, the latest 16" model is so expensive to buy as a replacement.

Soldato
Doesn't this depend hugely on what you're doing on the machine? I'm still very happily using my 15" 2015 rMBP, but I very much doubt it would handle gaming of any significance for example. I'm most concerned about the fact that if mine were to break, the latest 16" model is so expensive to buy as a replacement.
If I remember correctly the 2015 MBP with dGPU was £2k

Given everything that's better and 4 years' worth of inflation, I don't think the new models are that badly priced.

The old 2018 15" was much worse value than the 16", IMO - same price but worse dGPU and smaller SSD

Soldato
I have an ageing 2015 13" MBP that I put in a 1TB NVME SSD.

I was thinking of buying a portable PC as I am moving, but I figured I could sell my MBP and get a new one. I also have student discount still available for another year.

What do you guys recommend for performance comparison? Ideally I would like to know how much more the best 15/16" performs over the 13" best one?

What sites can I use to compare, would be good to mow if the 2019/2018 model is still contending today.
I'd argue the 13" has enough performance for most people.

If you don't know what applications you need the power of the 16" for, you probably don't need it :)

Associate
OP
Laptop gaming with macOS.

no i mean it is for a dev environment, maybe running VMs but mostly chrome, VSC, vlc etc so a lot of multi tasking on seperate monitors. i am just gonna wait to get work to buy me one for my new job next month and then use that at home (bit worried about how to seperate home vs work though)

Soldato
I wouldn’t buy the 13” right now, it’s due an update any day now.

The 16(15)” was just updated with a better keyboard, bigger screen and bigger battery. The 13 should get the same treatment shortly. The CPU in the 16” also blows away what’s in the 13” currently.

Not only that Dell has just launched a 6 core 13” XPS which is basically their version of the MBP. Apple can’t be far behind until the 13” MBP gets the same treatment.

If you are wondering about performance, the easiest comparison is just to google geek bench scores for what you have now and the current models you are looking at. It’s a Mac at the end of the day, they are all pretty much the same.

Back
Top Bottom