Buying a fast hot hatch

Associate
Hi guys I need advice buying a new car. I currently have a car to part exchange which I get around £8000 for and I have £10000 cash to spend so £18k. I want a fast hot hatch, so I have been looking at golf R, audi s3, seat cupra, Renault megane 275. I would love the bmw m135i or m140i but my insurance is over 2200 because of my age, so kinda out of the question. I also hate the civic type r as I test drove one recently. So if anyone has the cars stated above, could u tell me pros and cons to owning them or regrets you had, or if not try and recommend me what to buy. Also please give me other options if I have not mentioned them myself. Thanks.

Also communting to work for me is around 32miles, i Don’t go on the motorway but I do go on a lot of duel carriageways and twisty country roads. So. I’m looking for something fun. I don’t have kids and don’t plan on having any so 3dr or 5dr does not make a difference

Soldato
Why not consider the 135s big brothers

Have a look at the 3 and 4 series might be cheaper on the insurance.

Soldato
What did you hate about the civic? You might find the Mégane similar in some aspects (i.e it's not very German), albeit they're supposed to be great cars

Associate
The M135i is an uninspiring drive out of the box, can be improved with mods obviously but overall they're pretty overrated. Fast? Yes of course, but that's one part of a fun to drive car.
I would guess that the leon, s3, and golf r are going to drive similarly, so the choice is down to which will get you the most bro points.
The megane is supposed to be a hoot to drive, so if you actually want something to drive rather than to achieve clout that's probably a good choice.

What about the Hyundai i30n?

Associate
I drove the S3 and Golf R along side the GTI and went for the GTI as the others were not as much fun as they were too planted. The 2wd GTI still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it and still not found anything I want to replace it with.

Soldato
Also please give me other options if I have not mentioned them myself. Thanks.
I own a mk3.5 focus ST
There 250bhp stock, But can be mapped/chipped to around 300bhp pretty easy

Mine still completely stock as I no need any extra power for where I live plus mine still under warranty

LNWXuaz.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi guys I need advice buying a new car. I currently have a car to part exchange which I get around £8000 for and I have £10000 cash to spend so £18k. I want a fast hot hatch, so I have been looking at golf R, audi s3, seat cupra, Renault megane 275. I would love the bmw m135i or m140i but my insurance is over 2200 because of my age, so kinda out of the question. I also hate the civic type r as I test drove one recently. So if anyone has the cars stated above, could u tell me pros and cons to owning them or regrets you had, or if not try and recommend me what to buy. Also please give me other options if I have not mentioned them myself. Thanks.

Also communting to work for me is around 32miles, i Don’t go on the motorway but I do go on a lot of duel carriageways and twisty country roads. So. I’m looking for something fun. I don’t have kids and don’t plan on having any so 3dr or 5dr does not make a difference

Associate
I drove the S3 and Golf R along side the GTI and went for the GTI as the others were not as much fun as they were too planted. The 2wd GTI still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it and still not found anything I want to replace it with.
Find this interesting. I found the GTI lacking traction

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I had a Golf R for a couple of years and loved it, preferred it to my folks GTi that they had at the time.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply guys didnt expect so many. We'll I suppose the civic type r for me was too, how do I put it "boring". The main problem for me was the seats, I myself am 6ft7 and have quite big built so I didn't particularly fit in the seats well. I practically had to climb In and out of it on all 4's. And the main thing I look for In a car is practicality and comfort because of my size. It also makes no noise what so ever and just didnt feel exciting or anything special. Actually disappointed with it. My friends 180bhp civic just felt the same.

I also have 2 friends and an uncle with the focus St and they do love them but I like being the odd ball and having something different. And I think the i30n is way out of my budget, but they do look like nice cars.

I have test drove the s3, cupra 300 also but only for 20-30 mins, so not enough to make a full decision. For comfort and interior it has to go to the s3 but Imo the cupra in manual was something different which I can't explain even if it is a bit slower . However to get a decent s3 with good milage in my budget is quite hard.

I also really like the look of the golf gti but I can't justify the price they are when I can pretty much get all the cars mentioned for the same price or less or is it really that good?

Also is the 3-4 series still 3 litres? Wouldn't the insurance be the same as the. M135i? I have looked and to be honest in my 18k budget I can get a m135i 2014 with decent miles for about 15.5 and have the remaining budget for insurance but is it worth it? Or get something like the other cars I mentioned and have money left over.

I also didn't mention I have a fiesta st mountuned at this minute produces 225bhp. So pretty much looking for cars around the the 250-350 mark.

Associate
Find this interesting. I found the GTI lacking traction

I have the PP with the electric diff and I have fitted a Dogbone insert. Off the mark the R is faster but rolling there are no traction issues and the GTI is lighter without the Haldex and drivetrain weighing it down.

Associate
If you want a pure drivers car, then the Impreza will not be beaten by much - amazing handling, grip and more power than most. Getting harder to find now as they stopped importing them - but still some out there.

I have had quite a few of them and have never found anything that comes close, except the older Evos.

Commissario
I'd suggest you actually search for hot hatch reviews, there's so many magazines and Youtube videos that have covered this.

Soldato
I had a 265 Cup with Recaros before my 130i. If you want comfort and ease of getting in and out, a Megane with the Cup chassis and Recaros is not for you!

Soldato
If you want a pure drivers car, then the Impreza will not be beaten by much - amazing handling, grip and more power than most. Getting harder to find now as they stopped importing them - but still some out there.

I have had quite a few of them and have never found anything that comes close, except the older Evos.

What about reliability, maintenance, etc.

Also will the fuel economy be as good as a modern hot hatch?

Also I doubt it has the same level of creature comforts either.

Back
Top Bottom